HAIF - Houston's original social media

Greetings - Riverside Terrace

Hey, everyone! My name is Alan and I'm new to the forum! I'm not an architect, but I am a huge Houston history buff. It's nice to finally meet some folks who are insanely fasinated with our city's history. I especially love Houston's old movie theaters.

My wife and I recently took a drive through Riverside Terrace. We love the houses there and the history. Especially the uber contemporary 1940's split-level case study house on Del Rio and N. Parkwood, right off of MacGreggor. It was built in 1948 and its the ultimate 40's/50's contemporary. Whats especially interesting is going to the HCAD web page and entering the street address for houses that are interesting. HCAD lists when the house was built, number of room, square footage, etc.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where the Fingers house was, the Sakowitz's house, the Weingarten's or the Battlestein's were located? They may have been torn down to put 288 thru.

Alan

Good to know there are others here with high interest in city history.

There are several topics about Riverside under Other Houston neighborhoods. Wish they could all be merged so that no one misses out on good info. There was one I started called The vicinity around TSU? Now is the time to enjoy this area because the ever present development is fastly encroaching on to this area and may alter the appearance forever.

Good to know there are others here with high interest in city history.

There are several topics about Riverside under Other Houston neighborhoods. Wish they could all be merged so that no one misses out on good info. There was one I started called The vicinity around TSU? Now is the time to enjoy this area because the ever present development is fastly encroaching on to this area and may alter the appearance forever.

Welcome to HAIF!

There are many threads and mentions of the houses in Riverside Terrace (especially the contempo-modern ones) in the Houston Mod section of the board. Many of those houses are in danger of being torn down, though. There are also a few pictures of them (soon to be many more) on Houston Mod's website.

Alan,

Welcome to the forum. My wife and I are finishing up a house right now in riverside terrace and we simply love the neighborhood. I truly think it is one of the hidden gems in Houston. Sure there is crime, but there is crime everywhere. If you are ever see yourself in the area again feel free to contact me and stop by. We would love to show you around our great neighborhood.

Matthew

Hey, everyone! My name is Alan and I'm new to the forum! I'm not an architect, but I am a huge Houston history buff. It's nice to finally meet some folks who are insanely fasinated with our city's history. I especially love Houston's old movie theaters.

I meant to post this earlier but forgot to until now. If you haven't already seen it, check out David Welling's wonderful new book Cinema Houston - anyone who remembers any of Houston's movie theaters of the past will find it an indispensable reference.

Cinema Houston

The Weingarten house was demolished by the family. One of the family members said on the movie, "This is My House it is not For Sale" said that she was happy to see it was torn down because she did not feel it would have been taken care of properly. She said that it would have been like watching a beautiful old lady deteriorate before your eyes.

I also know that Jack Ceasar's house was saved and moved somewhere else. Does anyone know where that house is?

The Weingarten house is located at 4000 MacGregor Way South

The Sakowitz house was located at 3533 MacGregor Way North

From the 1966 Cole's Directory:

Bernard Sakowitz

Robert T. Sakowitz

3533 MacGregor Way North

(About this time, I believe the house was demolished and apartments built on the site. According to the movie, This Is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale, the senior Sakowitz couple moved to a high-rise apartment near Tanglewood.)

Bernard Weingarten

4000 MacGregor Way South

• 3 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...
On 10/28/2020 at 6:54 PM, Brenda B. Smith said:

Does anyone know where one could get a copy of the movie "This Is My House, It Is Not for Sale."  I grew up in that neighborhood in that period.  Brenda Beust Smith

Hey, it's the Lazy Gardener herself! Welcome to HAIF!

The MFAH Store used to sell DVD copies of "This Is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale", but I don't see it listed on their website now. Probably worth a phone call to them anyway, as they may not have everything they stock listed on the site. As I recall, it was about $40 - not cheap, but still much less than institutional pricing. 

As an alternative, the downtown public library as well as the Rice and UH libraries have it in their collections. Not sure if any of those copies circulate or if they're reference material that has to be viewed onsite (and since libraries are still closed or have otherwise restricted access thanks to COVID, that could obviously present a problem).

I'm not sure if the director Jon Schwartz sells copies himself, but if he has a website, I couldn't find it, and at any rate I think that the copies the MFAH Store were selling were obtained directly from him.

Edited by mkultra25
corrected film title