Anything You Want

gwilson

Hope I can clear some of this up for you, without a description I can be exactly certain about which you are talking about, so I will cover the most common and you can decide. Please know that there are several different versions of Muslim headdress, but I will just address the most common. There is the Ghutra which is a part of the headdress worn by Arab men, is a square scarf made of cotton, and is worn folded into a triangular shape with the fold in the front over the Tagiyah...

If you could describe what you were referring to I might be able to be more accurate.

If google images is accurate in what a Ghutra is, it was definitely not that. I've seen those before. It was more like a turbin, like this...

DoormanRedTurbin.jpg

But it was white/light colored. I'm not sure if it was folded like this picture, it may have been folded to go more upwards, but I could be mistaken.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The same day I saw a guy with a similar description videotaping at the intersection of Richmond and Kirby (on the northwest corner, facing the northeast side).

I saw the guy on Thursday, was that your day? He was on the northwest corner facing the southeast. I know it was Richmond but don't remember the cross street. Edloe maybe? It was about 6pm.

If google images is accurate in what a Ghutra is, it was definitely not that. I've seen those before. It was more like a turbin, like this...

DoormanRedTurbin.jpg

But it was white/light colored. I'm not sure if it was folded like this picture, it may have been folded to go more upwards, but I could be mistaken.

Oh okay you were referring to a turban and not a hat. Turbans can be pretty wide spread in the middle east, Hindis and Muslims both wear turbans. Even in some rare cases you will find some Buddists that wear them. A Turban can be a wide range of religious variance, that brush paints a broad stroke. Very hard to just blatantly label them Muslim by that. That's like saying every kid wearing a black or red ball cap is a cript or a blood.

Oh okay you were referring to a turban and not a hat. Turbans can be pretty wide spread in the middle east, Hindis and Muslims both wear turbans. Even in some rare cases you will find some Buddists that wear them. A Turban can be a wide range of religious varience, that brush paints a broad stroke. Very hard to just blantantly label them Muslim by that. That's like saying every kid wearing a black or red ball cap is a cript or a blood.

gotcha, thanks.

It's dead. Did everyone take the whole week off and go on vacay?

Maybe so. There's more going on at the HAIF than in my office. Crickets. I've gotten only 5 phone calls and 14 emails so far today. About 9 am I started wondering if there had been some alien invasion, or I forgot it was Saturday and went to work anyway.

Has anyone ever done that? Back when I was working really long hours, there were 4 times I got up, and went to work, not realizing it was Saturday. Pitiful.

Maybe so. There's more going on at the HAIF than in my office. Crickets. I've gotten only 5 phone calls and 14 emails so far today. About 9 am I started wondering if there had been some alien invasion, or I forgot it was Saturday and went to work anyway.

Has anyone ever done that? Back when I was working really long hours, there were 4 times I got up, and went to work, not realizing it was Saturday. Pitiful.

Been there. Done that.

One time I did it, my boss was there and before I could escape he gave me work to do.

paid off in my review, though. Big fat raise and bonus. :)

I finally 'clicked on the dillo' and something happened. A page not found, but the happy pointing finger showed up. Or am I late to the party on this, too?

A bit late, I'm afraid. I wonder what Ed had in mind.

Anyone know if there's a trail between 610 and the arboretum on the south side? My wife said she saw a guy on a bike pop up from the edge of the arboretum driveway, I'm not so adventureous that I'll just point the wheels down there without knowing what it might lead to.

Well, this is a bit late, but, did you have a chance to go down there? The trail on that side was an old rutted out single track hugging the bayou and was known as the Ho Chi Minh Trail, circa 15-20 years ago. My brother used to ride pro-am and dislocated shoulders 2 separate times attempting 'helmet cam.' I rode it once and wussed out when I had to jump an alligator. Seriously. I don't even know if that trail exists anymore. I'm guessing Allison destroyed anything left of it. That was the worst of all trail worlds: bad track, mean drop-offs and swampy grossness with critters.

You should go check it out! I mean, just to see if they rebuilt the trail. :)

My brother used to ride pro-am and dislocated shoulders 2 separate times attempting 'helmet cam.' I rode it once and wussed out when I had to jump an alligator. Seriously. I don't even know if that trail exists anymore. I'm guessing Allison destroyed anything left of it. That was the worst of all trail worlds: bad track, mean drop-offs and swampy grossness with critters.

You should go check it out! I mean, just to see if they rebuilt the trail. :)

The trail is still there.....but do you still have the footage of the gator and dislocation incidents? :) I think they could be youtubeable.

The trail is still there.....but do you still have the footage of the gator and dislocation incidents? :) I think they could be youtubeable.

Sadly, there was no helmet-cam when I had the gator incident. Michael insists the old helmet cams are long lost. Probably due to constant stoner episodes. He had a really good helmet-cam-at-night episode on the old wharf in Galveston. He dropped a tire at the wrong angle and broke his collarbone, ouch.

Ah, youth. Incidentally, he looks remarkably like Adam Sandler. The fat between-movies version. My brother needs to get on the HAIF.

I never did get down there to check it out, but I will try next time. It's either been raining, wet from just raining, or I've been out doing other things on the weekend. My wife did say she saw someone pop up from there, so that makes me think there's something still.

Helmet cam sounds like a bad idea to me. It's like demolition derby, no one is going to want to see that nice trail you stuck perfectly, that is boring. They want to see the tree getting closer...closer...closer...then BAM! Spinning, falling, girlish screams. I like to keep those moments as private as possible.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25391565/from/ET/&GT1=43001

Sweatiest Cities - We're not number 1!

1. Phoenix, Ariz.

2. Las Vegas, Nev.

3. Tallahassee, Fla.

4. Tucson, Ariz.

5. Memphis, Tenn.

6. Miami, Fla.

7. Houston, Texas

8. Tampa, Fla.

9. Baton Rouge, La.

10. Fort Myers, Fla.

Those dry-sweat places shouldn't count. After all, it evaporates quickly. Ours sticks around.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else have a case of HAIF paranoia? Nothing close to fear, but as I jog or bike around the neighborhood and see random folks, I often wonder, is that Redscare, or Heights Yankee? Those who have braved a HAIF happy hour are probably immune.

Anyone else have a case of HAIF paranoia? Nothing close to fear, but as I jog or bike around the neighborhood and see random folks, I often wonder, is that Redscare, or Heights Yankee? Those who have braved a HAIF happy hour are probably immune.

I don't know why you would be paranoid about seeing me on the street.

anarchist.jpg[1].jpg

I don't know why you would be paranoid about seeing me on the street.

Paranoid might not be the right word...more an intense curiosity and human desire to put faces/real people to those mythical internet people that I interact with from time to time. The longer I let it sit, the more I make up my own imaginary images (redundantly repetitious?) about what everyone looks like, which will likely be far from reality in most cases.

Paranoid might not be the right word...more an intense curiosity and human desire to put faces/real people to those mythical internet people that I interact with from time to time. The longer I let it sit, the more I make up my own imaginary images (redundantly repetitious?) about what everyone looks like, which will likely be far from reality in most cases.

Get one of these:

248259423_240x240_Front.jpg

And scrawl on the back: "Do you, uhh....HAIF?"

Archived