La Quinta Inn Midtown

CSOM

Public Hearing November 8 @ 2:30PM for a 64 Unit La Quinta Inn at Hwy 59 between McGowen & Dennis.

This is on the 'other' side of 59/288 which seems to be a good signal on development, IMO. It also adds a much needed moderate priced hotel to the general DT vicinity, which is currently limited to the Holiday Inn Express and the Best Western on W. Dallas, which both still get rather pricey given the locations...

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&trf=0&amp...39545&mag=1

This development is located on the east side of 59????? I saw the variance sign at the corner of 59 and McGowan so I am assuming that's the site. If so.... I like the "leap" of development to the east side of 59. This has got'ta be good for midtown in the long run and it's only a matter of time more development happens east of midtown.

What does this have to do with Midtown? Isn't it going to be in the East End?

are you kidding me? midtown wouldn't be ____ if it wasn't for the fact that it is surrounded by downtown, river oaks and montrose. the third ward border is midtown's weak point. so any development (i.e. townhomes, retail or hotels) is good by all means.

What does this have to do with Midtown? Isn't it going to be in the East End?

No, not really... it is right by where 288 & 59 split, just a few (6-8) blocks from Baldwin Park. It is on the East side of 59, but not what I would consider true East End... more traditional 3rd Ward.

Oh I see. I guess I missed the fact that it was near the 288/59 split.

You might have also been thrown off because Sarnoff at the Chronicle said there might be a LaQuinta built near Minute Maid Park a few weeks ago so when you heard East of 59, you thought East Side. I know I initially did too.

I guess Midtown is as they describe it here, although it's not really as much of a "pedestrian-oriented urban community" as they make it out to be (although it is more pedestrian-oriented than most parts of Houston I guess).

I think of uptown as west of the 610 near the Galleria and Post Oak.

I think of East End as the old Chinatown/warehouse area behind the convention center downtown extending East (not sure how far though).

Edited by Jax

Where can one find a map of these borders? All of this Uptown/Midtown/East End nomenclature is unclear to me (and I've lived here for over 40 years).

Most area's dont have such defined borders. Neartown for instance, I couldnt tell you the exact borders of.

Midtown is a bit different. Since it was formed as a TIRZ (Tax something with an I Reinvestment Zone), it indeed has very defined borders. 59 happens to be the border to the east.

This is good news, even though La Quinta is typically a suburban style hotel with a wrap-around parking lot. The east side of 59 is really lacking in new development, and this is better than the current vacant lot.

normally true, but the one in downtown Austin is very tightly packed with no parking lot, only underground valet.

normally true, but the one in downtown Austin is very tightly packed with no parking lot, only underground valet.

But if our CVSs, Walgreens and branch banks are any indication... its parking lot will take up more space than than the actually building.

Edited by CSOM

But if our CVSs, Walgreens and branch banks are any indication... its parking lot will take up more space than than the actually building.

Agreed. However, currently it is a vacant lot with 3 feet high weeds and a chain link fence surrounding the property.

If you want density, we gotta get rid of vacant lots first.

This is good news, even though La Quinta is typically a suburban style hotel with a wrap-around parking lot. The east side of 59 is really lacking in new development, and this is better than the current vacant lot.

how quickly we forget. after allison, many were complaining that greenspace is quickly dwindling because of new development which exacerbated the flooding situation.

how quickly we forget. after allison, many were complaining that greenspace is quickly dwindling because of new development which exacerbated the flooding situation.

I think people are refering to SUBURBAN developent as they get build up close, and personal to the various streams, bayous, and rivers that crisscross the area. Which is why some of the newer subdivisions are building retention ponds to help alleviate the flooding downstream.

If you're going to get snarky, at least do it in a proper way. Downtown floods because of water UPSTREAM has no where to go. When it rains in HOUSTON, the water goes DOWNSTREAM and has no place to go except in to the various bayous and it's a relatively short run to the ship channel and Galveston bay.

Back that with some data. Lots of crime everywhere. Not any more here or less than anywhere else. Check out the data http://www.ericcarlson.net/crimestats/

By the way...This site just happens to be 1 block from the police station. Check it out

Crime stats only reflect where police reports have been filed. Poor black communities are not well known for filing police reports when there is a problem on account of three reasons: 1) they don't trust the cops, 2) the odds of getting the issue resolved are low, and 3) there's a certain level of crime that they're just used to. Contrast that to someone living in League City that'll call the cops if they just see a suspicious person walking around their neighborhood.

whatever the case, as a midtown resident, i'm happy to see new developments pushing the frontier further east...i like seeing the Edge and I like seeing this la quinta...

I hope it's a La Quinta Suites variation, but beggars can't be choosers.

Crime stats only reflect where police reports have been filed. Poor black communities are not well known for filing police reports when there is a problem on account of three reasons: 1) they don't trust the cops, 2) the odds of getting the issue resolved are low, and 3) there's a certain level of crime that they're just used to. Contrast that to someone living in League City that'll call the cops if they just see a suspicious person walking around their neighborhood.

Good try... But....Are you kidding me. The cops bust everyone WEST of 59 and no one EAST of 59. Check this link http://www.ericcarlson.net/crimestats/10H50.html Looks to me as if plenty of crime is being reported in the 3rd ward....just like everywhere else in the city. But, I don't see a whole lot of reported crime near the South Central Police Staion and this motel site...HUMMM ....Maybe the bad guys don't want to bee seen a block from the Police Station.

So... I will concede I won't be walking my dog in the evening near that intersection (well maybe if I owned a pitbull I would) I do take exception to the original comment being..."an Extreme Crime Area" Just not true

By the way....Its obvious where the crime is in midtown..... A very significant amount of it occurs along Main and Gray. It doesn't just magically disappear east of 59 but it does diminish near the police station.

I think people are refering to SUBURBAN developent as they get build up close, and personal to the various streams, bayous, and rivers that crisscross the area. Which is why some of the newer subdivisions are building retention ponds to help alleviate the flooding downstream.

If you're going to get snarky, at least do it in a proper way. Downtown floods because of water UPSTREAM has no where to go. When it rains in HOUSTON, the water goes DOWNSTREAM and has no place to go except in to the various bayous and it's a relatively short run to the ship channel and Galveston bay.

FYI EVERY place that floods does so because water has nowhere to go, from downtown to the suburbs as it did during allison.

Good try... But....Are you kidding me. The cops bust everyone WEST of 59 and no one EAST of 59. Check this link http://www.ericcarlson.net/crimestats/10H50.html Looks to me as if plenty of crime is being reported in the 3rd ward....just like everywhere else in the city. But, I don't see a whole lot of reported crime near the South Central Police Staion and this motel site...HUMMM ....Maybe the bad guys don't want to bee seen a block from the Police Station.

So... I will concede I won't be walking my dog in the evening near that intersection (well maybe if I owned a pitbull I would) I do take exception to the original comment being..."an Extreme Crime Area" Just not true

By the way....Its obvious where the crime is in midtown..... A very significant amount of it occurs along Main and Gray. It doesn't just magically disappear east of 59 but it does diminish near the police station.

That's probably because population density is lower just right along there. It isn't enough just to count the number of crimes committed. You've got to count crime per capita or some such similar measurement to get a better sense of how likely it is that any one person will be impacted.

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to La Quinta Inn Midtown