The Drake Lounge is Opening on Washington Ave.

Yeah it should be interesting to see what kind of crowd this place draws. Nonetheless, it's good for this area and businesses like Corkscrew who were pioneers in that part of Washington. All of this activity should clean things up a bit down there.

Another place that's basically the same format (lounge) called Pandora's is opening in December down the street in the former Rhythm Room location on Washington.

I drove by there tonight and there is a TON of work to be done before they start entertaining guests... I could see through the opened door off of Center and it is AWESOME inside. The outside is still very much a construction zone. What are they doing with the front part of the building? There appear to be several entrances to the place, leading me to think that it is suitable for several different bars. Or is the plan to have this be one massive lounge?

There is not a doubt in my mind that this will be successful. Those guys have the winning formula.

I drove by there tonight and there is a TON of work to be done before they start entertaining guests... I could see through the opened door off of Center and it is AWESOME inside. The outside is still very much a construction zone. What are they doing with the front part of the building? There appear to be several entrances to the place, leading me to think that it is suitable for several different bars. Or is the plan to have this be one massive lounge?

There is not a doubt in my mind that this will be successful. Those guys have the winning formula.

Thats what I'm talking about! I say we should create a topic of how you would design your own night club or restaurant. Ok, I will start it under Other Topics. Thanks for the inspiration Bacchus! :P

I have seen massive dance clubs in larger cities and they work. I don't care what anyone on this forum says! ha ha!

went last night to the drake - have to say, these guys know how to build a fancy place. makes red door look like a barn - not really, but the high ceilings and lighting is really impressive, and the layout is nice and open. decent size crowd last night already and i kind of like how the entrance is in the back - sort of hidden. if you're planning to go, i'd probably go soon - the shiny hair shirt unbuttoned contingency will be out in full force soon (the upstairs part already had a few last night)

• 2 weeks later...

The rumours going around is that Lance Feagin (Glass Wall) will be opening a new eaterie in the downstairs space, once renovations are complete. The Dittman Building, a block down toward downtown, is also being marketed for a restaurant, with rooftop dining. Add Beavers just a few blocks away, and you have some mighty nice pickings!

Actually it was the Warehouse that was a good long standing pioneer, but is no longer in existance that really rocked the place. A good wholesome atmosphere that unfortunatley, is no longer there. :(

Yeah it should be interesting to see what kind of crowd this place draws. Nonetheless, it's good for this area and businesses like Corkscrew who were pioneers in that part of Washington. All of this activity should clean things up a bit down there.

Another place that's basically the same format (lounge) called Pandora's is opening in December down the street in the former Rhythm Room location on Washington.

we tried to go last friday night, and it was INSANE. I felt like I was in some version of CSI Miami. Right out front they had all the crazy expensive cars parked right at the door in an obvious money flauting way. There were various stages of scantily clad girls and heaving frat boys...all JAMMED at the door trying to get in. We made a pathetic half hearted attempt to get in and then left. it supposed to be really neat inside, just stay away from it Friday nights for a few weeks until the "hot" wears off.

Walked over after corkscrew two weekends ago... totally nuts outside the front entrance. I'm not sure if it was just because they had not yet "officially" opened, but the mob outside was definitely a sign of gross mismanagement... pretty much you tried to wade your way through a mess of people (they haven't heard of lines?) and then the doorman selects people to come in... so we took off. Friends who went in said it was impossible to get drinks.

the doorman selects people to come in... so we took off. Friends who went in said it was impossible to get drinks.

What is this place another Studio 54?

I hate when a place like this doesn't hire enough bar help. I would have left too.

There should be a sign at the entrance that states celeb's only! :wacko:

Sounds like this joint is catering (or wanting to) cater to the aristocracy/society crowd of Houston.

Ahh the good ol' cattle call. <_< That reminds me of when Prague first opened, many moons ago, and they really revived the practice of "choosing" who gets the privelege of coming in. Although I can usually get past the crowd, this practice still really turns me off to a place.

have been a total of three times - first two opening nights were perfect. not yet crowded, good looking crowd, plenty of room to move around, no lines to get drinks. third time, we got there early and had no wait, but our friends that came later got stuck in the mob of people. we went downstairs to try to get them in and i haven't seen anything like that in a while. opened up the front door and it was just like you guys said, a mob of people, no line. people just screaming. then it got way too crowded inside, took forever to get $6 drinks and all around was not the nice lounge it had been the first two times. i think the problem is they are trying to use the red door system of letting people in, but it works there because red door isn't as crowded as it was 3 years ago. i agree the drake is a thursday night or early fri/ sat night place. other than that, its going to take a while for the idiocy to die down.

• 4 weeks later...

Blog entry from the Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/main/5377213.html

Last Saturday, it seemed everyone was yelling Darren Van Delden's name as he stood his post at the velvet rope. He sifted through the masses of people, who included many using everything from hugs to birthdays to folded $20 bills to try and jockey their way inside.

Because of the club's strict dress code, which prohibits anything baggy, torn or, heck, ugly, only some made it in.

I asked a girl whose male friend had just been turned away what she thought of the policy.

"If you're going for a certain look," she said, "it's understandable."

Generally, I'm pretty wary of the arrogance and entitlement

I noticed that a couple of the people posting complaints about the drunks are also HAIFers. Especially loved the comment that the homeless behaved better.

I met the blogger, Kristin Finan, a couple of weeks ago at Lucky's Sports Bar. If I'd have known she was into "butterfly kisses", I might have tried it. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I got to partake in the hoopla that is The Drake. Didn't have to wait in line on a Saturday, we know a bartender inside and was put on "The List". We were supposed to have "bottle service" and a table set up for us, but we were about 20 minutes late arriving, we got there at about 10:45pm or so, and they had broken down our section, so we just went in and got drinks at the bar. Pretty strong drinks, so I can't complain about that. A little TOO dark in there,maybe because the decor SUCKS, music was fine, but the crowd. HELLO, if I wanted to be in a mosh pit I would go to a Korn concert. Ridiculously packed, BUT, there was alot of eyecandy to go around. There was one girl in particular...... but I digress. I don't think I would EVER try to go there if I had to wait in line like the sub-class I saw out there huddled in the cold. LOL! Just Kidding. I am just very fortunate to know someone who works there. Alot of hype, NOT alot of bite, you are missing nothing at this joint. Escobar on the other hand was much more fun, if you go to Escobar, which now has new owners as of Sunday, make sure you say hey to my buddy Zeus, and tip him well, he makes good drinks also.

went to the drake the sat before last. my friend and I both agreed the place seemed to be full of trailer trash that night. maybe it was the rain and a bad night? music also sucked. it was like 104 on speed. maybe i will check it out again bc i keep hearing how great it is. i just came back from new york and this place does not compare.

sounds like some in the black community are wondering why they aren't allowed in....

Musicman, I meant to tell ya. It ain't just the Blacks, it is more the Asians. Like I said, they ain't missing anything though, but The Drake may have created the illusion that they are. Dress like you were going out to a nice dinner at Vic and Anthony's and leave the do-rags and baggy jerseys, pants and Nikes at home, you will get in after about a 30 to 45 minute wait.

i guess i went about 3-4 wks ago. around midnight there wasnt even a line of any sort. we went straight up with ids showing and came in. were pretty under dressed too, but they were cool about it. was a good time inside, but would definitely go back. but everything im reading seems to be the opposite.

Musicman, I meant to tell ya. It ain't just the Blacks, it is more the Asians. Like I said, they ain't missing anything though, but The Drake may have created the illusion that they are. Dress like you were going out to a nice dinner at Vic and Anthony's and leave the do-rags and baggy jerseys, pants and Nikes at home, you will get in after about a 30 to 45 minute wait.

this has been going on for as long as i've been old enough to go out. I know it isn't just blacks but some made a comment to me when they went. i think it is hilarious that anyone would wait to get into a place like this.

if there's even a hastle to park...forget it!

• 6 months later...
went to the drake the sat before last. my friend and I both agreed the place seemed to be full of trailer trash that night. maybe it was the rain and a bad night? music also sucked. it was like 104 on speed. maybe i will check it out again bc i keep hearing how great it is. i just came back from new york and this place does not compare.

This is hilarious! :lol:

There was a huge mega-mixer kind of event Wed night. I guess the idea is not to walk in comparing to other large city clubs otherwise you wont have a good time. Here is my take of what I loved about this place.

The very high dramatic ceilings, decor, vast bars, friendly staff, large clean restrooms, furniture...yep the furniture and most of all some of the best made drinks around. Hats off to the bartendars (not to mention the beautiful lady bartendars). Most seemed like super models. I wont knock the music since they were good enough to ask us what we wanted to hear. If I were to open my own disco/club whatever it would resemble this place, the inside anway. Exterior/facade needs some big time upgrades. I was only disappointed that the upstairs area was not open mayeb later on it was?

I want to see a grand piano and maybe some huge wide screens on those empty brick walls.

It is very reminicent of the large night clubs of Los Angeles. Order a Cape Cod and see what ya think. This place dazzles. :)

http://thedrakebar.com/

Archived