Home At 945 Heights Blvd.

Subdude

people continue to buy them, so they continue to make them.

agreed. perhaps the protests should happen when the realtor has the open house.

if the former convalescent home on Bayland can be rehabbed in to the show place it is now, any of the houses on the Blvd can!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly though, I'm not a big fan of new things that are built to look old.

I'm not really either. I am also not a fan of the rows and rows of houses that all look the same, though. Anyone been to Shady Acres lately? It's all pink, sky blue and mint green with white trim. Anyway, I've said several times on this forum that I don't care if people build things that aren't "in the style of the neighborhood" as long as they are interesting (take that house on Harvard that we all love). Everyone seems to accept all these New Orleans revival homes but last time I checked, we aren't in New Orleans and the Heights was not built as a NO style neighborhood. Why not build some great, modern homes that reflect the era in which they were built, like the original homes did?

if the former convalescent home on Bayland can be rehabbed in to the show place it is now, any of the houses on the Blvd can!

Possibly, I imagine the house on Bayland did not have as many issues as the house on Heights since the house on Bayland was at least occupied for a while (I think, I don't think it set empty as long as the house on Heights). I never stepped foot in either property, so I can't judge.

Regardless, it takes a special buyer, one with a large amount of budget, desire, patience, and time to take on a major renovation like that. I couldn't do it.

One thing I don't understand is when people say that a property should be saved, who do they think should save it? Do they mean that a builder should do it, an individual do it, a restoration company do it? What if that buyer does not exist, what happens then? It just seems like people are saying "someone should restore this house, you cant tear it down", perhaps, but that's easy to say when it's not your time, frustration, or dollar.

Here is a photo of the house from 1994.

945Heights1994.jpg

Used to love this old house. Just needed some TLC and a prayer. I would always pass on the way to work on 19th street. Sometimes I would stop and examine the cool windows and details one finds in historical renderings, etc.

Once again, Houston has failed.

i have an aunt that lives near the bayland house you mentioned. i believe she told me the work on the bayland house was over a million dollars worth.

About $800k is what they indicated on the Woodland Heights home tour. It's 6400 sf house with 2000 sf of porch space. They put a 2000-bottle wine cellar in the basement, so there were some additional costs beyond restoration.

As for 945 Heights, from what I could see, the peirs were really solid and straight (something you don't see on several homes that are inhabited and otherwise well-kept) and there was no visible sag in the main structure. The porch, which did not appear original to the house, had to go. It probably would have revealed a great facade.

Even if the house itself couldn't be saved, I wish the trim had been salvaged. Machined molding from Home Depot just isn't the same.

i have an aunt that lives near the bayland house you mentioned. i believe she told me the work on the bayland house was over a million dollars worth.

Which ironically was paid for by the destruction of many bungalows, as the owner of the Bayland house is a partner in Allegro Homes, prolific builders of McVictorians (even more ironic is that the original builder of the house was the original developer of the neighborhood).

And the inside of that house, instead salvaging or recreating the original "Prairie" style details, looks just like any other Allegro or Harry James house. Yes, it is great that the structure was saved, but I would refrain from gushing too much praise on the owners.

One thing I don't understand is when people say that a property should be saved, who do they think should save it? Do they mean that a builder should do it, an individual do it, a restoration company do it? What if that buyer does not exist, what happens then? It just seems like people are saying "someone should restore this house, you cant tear it down", perhaps, but that's easy to say when it's not your time, frustration, or dollar.

i definitely see what you're saying - i guess it is just more of a hoping/wishing someone could come along and help the place out. like Vertigo mentioned, it "Just needed some TLC and a prayer." Oh well.

As for 945 Heights, from what I could see, the peirs were really solid and straight (something you don't see on several homes that are inhabited and otherwise well-kept) and there was no visible sag in the main structure. The porch, which did not appear original to the house, had to go. It probably would have revealed a great facade.

the house was sturdy. would have needed a lot of work, but i *think* that the majority of the damage (water, etc) was sustained only in the last couple years.

the inside could have been beautiful again, too. the wood work was very nice.

doyle004.jpg

doyle009.jpg

more Doyle house pictures:

http://www.arch-ive.org/doyle

Guest danax
i definitely see what you're saying - i guess it is just more of a hoping/wishing someone could come along and help the place out. like Vertigo mentioned, it "Just needed some TLC and a prayer." Oh well.

the house was sturdy. would have needed a lot of work, but i *think* that the majority of the damage (water, etc) was sustained only in the last couple years.

the inside could have been beautiful again, too. the wood work was very nice.

doyle004.jpg

doyle009.jpg

more Doyle house pictures:

http://www.arch-ive.org/doyle

I can't believe Historic Houston couldn't at least have salvaged some of the house, but then again, it sounds like the dozer was called via 911. It probably had a lot of usable, extinct lumber and millwork. I could've used some of those long beadboards and those porch columns.

Another thing that I didn't mention in my earlier post regarding a similarly water-damaged 100 year old house that I'm helping to dismantle, was that, sandwiched beneath a lot of the finish flooring and the subfloor, were large colonies of thriving white-strand mold. I showed it to the guy who bought the place and he thought that it was white paint, until he realized that there was no way paint could get under the flooring in such large sections. Not something that most people would want to get involved in but removing the flooring and mold and then repairing the floor is really not that big of a deal.

I can't believe Historic Houston couldn't at least have salvaged some of the house, but then again, it sounds like the dozer was called via 911. It was probably a lot of usable, extinct lumber and millwork. I could've used some of that beadboard and those porch columns.

Another thing that I didn't mention in my earlier post regarding a similarly water-damaged 100 year old house that I'm helping to dismantle, was that, sandwiched beneath a lot of the finish flooring and the subfloor, were large colonies of thriving white-strand mold. I showed it to the guy who bought the place and he thought that it was white paint, until he realized that there was no way paint could get under the flooring in such large sections. Not something that most people would want to get involved in but removing the flooring and mold and then repairing the floor is really not that big of a deal.

I'm flabbergasted.

This is the same scenario that happened (ironically about one 1/2 year ago) to that two story once popular restaurant over on I think 18th street? It was on a corner and the only thing left is the original clock on the pole.

Area was in an uproar because they were determined to bulldoze. I kept checking on at my lunch times to see if they were going to toss out any good trim, doors, etc. One guy that was ready with the dumpster said it was structurally unsafe as main beams within were too far gone. He could have been fibbing? Next day I passed and it gone, vanished. Only tiny specs of wood left.

I honestly thought Heights Blvd itself was protected from ANY travesty like this. Wake up call for me and many others, I guess. Tear in my beer. :angry:

This is the same scenario that happened (ironically about one 1/2 year ago) to that two story once popular restaurant over on I think 18th street? It was on a corner and the only thing left is the original clock on the pole.

yep - Ashland's in the Heights - 1801 Ashland

mw8v90.jpg

It was on the National Register of Historic Places, too.

yep - Ashland's in the Heights - 1801 Ashland

mw8v90.jpg

It was on the National Register of Historic Places, too.

That be the one, and the sad lonely clock left behind now. They claimed it could collapse at any moment. Who knows maybe it was true. So now that's 2 highly visible anchors of the area gone forever within 2 years. Vicious cycle. If they resume this insanity over on Bayland/Pecore area thats the end of the Heights as we know it.

That be the one, and the sad lonely clock left behind now. They claimed it could collapse at any moment. Who knows maybe it was true. So now that's 2 highly visible anchors of the area gone forever within 2 years. Vicious cycle. If they resume this insanity over on Bayland/Pecore area thats the end of the Heights as we know it.

They claimed all sorts of things which most highly doubt. In fact, the old thread about this house had someone intimately related to the "new Victorian-themed" restaurant that would replace it defending all of the actions.

Now that the lot has sat empty for 2 years, I wonder where that fella is?

They claimed all sorts of things which most highly doubt. In fact, the old thread about this house had someone intimately related to the "new Victorian-themed" restaurant that would replace it defending all of the actions.

Now that the lot has sat empty for 2 years, I wonder where that fella is?

I think that was the guy who was going to be the 'head chef', and I think when the investors pulled out, he had to move on elsewhere. Not sure where he went or what his thoughts are. Those with the deep pockets pull all the strings I suppose. It's kind of interesting that the lot has sat empty for so long. I wonder if those 'deep money' people who bought it have something in mind or if they are holding out for more money to another developer? Anyone know?

Ooops, my bad, I just saw the thread about the Condo development plans for that site. Great, more condos. (tongue in cheek)

Speaking of Heights Blvd, I've always wondered, if the Karen Derr building is original and rehabbed into office space, or was built to look Victorian?

Speaking of Heights Blvd, I've always wondered, if the Karen Derr building is original and rehabbed into office space, or was built to look Victorian?

looking through hcad, the present structure was built in 2003...the one torn down for that one was c. 1940

And the inside of that house, instead salvaging or recreating the original "Prairie" style details, looks just like any other Allegro or Harry James house. Yes, it is great that the structure was saved, but I would refrain from gushing too much praise on the owners.

I agree. The owner ripped out all of the original windows with wavy glass (one sure way to reduce the historic character of an old house). They donated the windows to Historic Houston rather than throw them in the dump, which scores back some points in my book, but it removing the windows is still not something I think the owner should have done...

looking through hcad, the present structure was built in 2003...the one torn down for that one was c. 1940

Although the Karen Derr office is not an original Heights Blvd. home, it is a MAJOR improvement over the run down buildings that were on that lot. The same for the house that is immediately south of her office.

Here is Harry James' rebuttal from the Houston Business Journal. Comments?

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...editorial6.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Heights home

Houston Business Journal - July 27, 2007

I am an expert at renovating and restoring homes, and I have built many Victorian reproductions in the Heights for many years. (See City Beat, "Residents in race with wrecking ball," July 20.)

Everything that I've built has been an improvement over what was there before. The homes that I have torn down were in horrible condition, and the house at 945 Heights was the worst that I've ever seen.

This house is not a historic mansion. It sat in disrepair for 35 years, without any occupants and with major water leaks for decades. The house has deteriorated to the point where it is rotten and unhealthy. Any reasonable person could see that it was neglected too long by the previous owner and heirs.

I am a supporter of the Houston Heights Association and have donated thousands of dollars a year to the association. I gave the association almost two weeks to submit to me an offer to purchase the house, but never received anything except verbal amounts that were a lot less than what my costs were to acquire the property.

I have plans to build a magnificent Classic Victorian that will be part of the future history of the Heights.

Sometimes you have to ring out the old, and ring in the new.

(Editor's note: The 101-year-old home at 945 Heights Blvd., commonly called the Doyle Mansion, was demolished last week.)

Harry James, Owner, Harry James, Builder, Houston, Tx., Via e-mail"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gave the association almost two weeks to submit to me an offer to purchase the house, but never received anything except verbal amounts that were a lot less than what my costs were to acquire the property.

I heard from a very reliable source that Harry paid around $500k for the property. He wouldn't accept anything less than $900k. He also refused to let any prospective buyers on the property to inspect the house or view the interior. Probably because this would have discredited his claims that the house was structurally unsound....

I noticed some interesting comments in his response.

"The house is not a historic mansion". Huh? Just cause he says so?

"It sat in disrepair for 35 years, without any occupants and with major water leaks for decades". Huh? I thought there were occupants up until the last few years, certainly not decades empty.

"...the worst I have ever seen". His definition or would someone else think otherwise?

i was under the impression the house was occupied until fairly recently as well.

and he says that "the house at 945 Heights was the worst that I've ever seen." i guess he hasn't seen much.

• 3 months later...

Look for the replacement soon:

Project No:

Date:

10/30/2007

USE:

NEW S.F. RESIDENCE W/DETACHED GARAGE

Owner / Occupant:

HEIGHTS RESERVE INC

Job Address:

945 HEIGHTS BLVD

Tax ID:

Subdivision:

HOUSTON HEIGHTS

Buyer:

HARRY JAME

Address:

4001 n SHEPHERD 77018

Phone:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Speaking of townhomes, the ones on Heights at 14th, I think they are the Harry James with the brick fronts - I was driving by yesterday and it looked to me like there was about 10 inches between each building. I might be off, but it was a tight space. No way a person could fit in there. Is that a potential problem (cleaning, painting, etc)? Maybe I saw it wrong. I know nothing about building or architecture so it may be a dumb question.

at least it's not some god awful townhomes ala 14th st.

yeah, but it looks exactly like every other freaking house he builds. can we get something different? anything? maybe no freaking turret? maybe something arts and crafts? maybe something closer to the wonderful old houses you tore down? i mean, seriously.

Speaking of townhomes, the ones on Heights at 14th, I think they are the Harry James with the brick fronts - I was driving by yesterday and it looked to me like there was about 10 inches between each building. I might be off, but it was a tight space. No way a person could fit in there. Is that a potential problem (cleaning, painting, etc)? Maybe I saw it wrong. I know nothing about building or architecture so it may be a dumb question.

Yes it will end up being a problem in terms of maintainence. Builder doesn't care - they'll be out of the picture by then. I'll bet the dimension between the buildings is probably the minimum that is required before going to a fire-rated party wall between the units. It's probably cheaper to paint the hardi-plank prior to installation and pay some small worker to squeeze in there to install it, than the materials for the fire-rated wall. Plus, Houstonians really don't seem to like row houses = harder to sell.

• 2 months later...

Archived