First Colony Developments

UrbaNerd

Okay, it's time for me to finally register on here. I have found myself reading all of the interesting things you guys have to say for about a year now! I normally don't do that, but since the architecture part of the title had made me hesitant. I'm a Sugar Land resident and I am always nosy about what's going on - the new Fry's, Brazos River Park, Lakepoint, Telfair, Town Square, First Colony Mall, etc. Almost every time I'm looking for something, Google leads me to this awesome forum. They're always building something cool around here, and it's time for me to BS with the experts!

First of all, the original post described a bayou, but the city council agenda talks about a fountain. Sounds like a big difference to me. Is it just going to be some little fountain or something much bigger? Until reading this thread today I had no idea it was going to be anything more than a Cheesecake Factory.

BTW, I agree that Sugar Land needs something to make it more lively at night. I really don't care for Baker Street Pub at all. SL needs some night life to give it the outside attention it deserves.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard that Buca di Beppo was considering being one of the new restaurants to go in, but the city would not budge and let them differ their design--Buca wanted to use different materials, colors, signage, etc. for a more unique and less cookie-cutter design, but no lattitude was given. The Buca people finally gave up. Too bad.

Also, even when I lived inside the loop, I thought that Whole Foods was missing the boat by not having a presence in SL, and talked to managers at the Bellaire store and e-mailed the corporate website to tell them so. They say they have no plans to build a store in the area. I think they should close down that little old location in Westchase and replace it with a nice new one in the Town Center area. I know several people who would frequent it. Anybody agree?

A while back, someone on here was very persistant that you Sugarlanders (or is Sugarlandees? Oh, Sugarlandians is it? :P anyway..) were deftly afraid to leave Sugarland to travel to the ghettos of Belfort & US59 to go to the new Fry's. This poster also thought that it would have better served all the southwest side had it simply been built another 2 miles south, coincidently in Sugarland.

As a Sugarland resident, what are your thoughts on the new Fry's?

(Oh yeah, welcome to the registered/posting side. ;))

My opinion is that I'm glad they're opening it. I'm sick of going all the way to North Houston to go to Fry's. I'm only 22 and I'm originally from Philly. I may a little differant than the average Sugar Land resident, but who knows. I go up that way all the time - get my fish at the Fish Ranch, love the 99

I heard that Buca di Beppo was considering being one of the new restaurants to go in, but the city would not budge and let them differ their design--Buca wanted to use different materials, colors, signage, etc. for a more unique and less cookie-cutter design, but no lattitude was given. The Buca people finally gave up. Too bad.

Also, even when I lived inside the loop, I thought that Whole Foods was missing the boat by not having a presence in SL, and talked to managers at the Bellaire store and e-mailed the corporate website to tell them so. They say they have no plans to build a store in the area. I think they should close down that little old location in Westchase and replace it with a nice new one in the Town Center area. I know several people who would frequent it. Anybody agree?

By the way, it's not Sugar Land law that dictates most of the colors, sinage, etc. It's mostly First Colony Property Owners Association is the real problem. If you notice, in First Colony, building signs are not allowed to have logos and must be black or white. Colors and logos are only allowed on the roadside signs. That is not true in other parts of Sugar Land.

Because of complaints from some of the crazy suburbanites here, the city considered passing laws that dictate the colors and signage, but decided against it because they felt it was overstepping their boundaries as a city government. Some whiny people here had complained about things like the blue canopy at Kinkos, the way the Shell gas station is painted in Shell Colors - making it one big sign, and Berry Hill Restraunts colors. The city did say it could be reconsidered again in the future though.

I have been attending a weekly program hosted by the City and I asked the question of them of how the Town Square managed to get away with the colors, logos, canopies, etc. They said it was considered by the FCPOA review board, and was allowed because the signs are generally facing inward and contributed to the urban pedestrian style they wanted to accomplish. The funny thing is that the building on highway 6 are not inward at all. I was hoping the city would say what I'm assuming - they weren't going to let this huge project pass us by and go to another nearby city over something as petty as colored signs and canopies.

You can't find some of those ammenities in Sugarland? Or is it just more conveinent as you might know the stores, their owners/workers, or maybe just the layouts?

I can think of 2 or 3 .99 cent stores, and 3 Olive Gardens closer. Philly Connection blows. I know you're looking for a better cheesesteak than that right? (so am I, and I haven't found it :()

Nobody in Sugar Land sells kegs. Not even specs. I can't get Co2 unless I go to a welding place - the nearest one is off of Murphy Road. Academy Sports and Outdoors won't fill a 5lb tank that's used for kegerators. For fish stuff there is PetSmart and PetCo and PetLand in Stafford, but Fish Ranch has the best selection around here. Olive Garden - the nearest one is the one down in Houston. My girlfriend loves the soup sald and breadstick lunch. :D For dollar stores, I just think that 99

Nobody in Sugar Land sells kegs.  Not even specs. I can't get Co2 unless I go to a welding place - the nearest one is off of Murphy Road.  Academy Sports and Outdoors won't fill a 5lb tank that's used for kegerators.  For fish stuff there is PetSmart and PetCo and PetLand in Stafford, but Fish Ranch has the best selection around here.  Olive Garden - the nearest one is the one down in Houston.  My girlfriend loves the soup sald and breadstick lunch. :D  For dollar stores, I just think that 99

Tomato Sauce?? :o Really?? :huh:

That's atually what I already get. I get what's called a Pizza steak, both in Philly and at the Atlanta based chain that has no real ties to Philly(Philly Connection). It's steak with pizza sauce and mozzerella cheese and onions (which I ask them to hold). At the Sugar Land location they put pepperoni on it...none of the other locations I've been to do though. They claim it's because they're a "new store that follows the 'new menu'" but I think they're just idiots. Pepperoni doesn't even appear on the description of a pizza steak on their own menu.

Anyway, you could be right about the water being a myth, but it's definitely the bread that makes the difference. Philly also does have a unique flavor to the water. It's hard to describe, but one thing I can say is that it's full of something cause it does a lot of mineral build-up damage to bathroom and kitchen fixtures very quickly. I can't say that the water is definitely what makes the rolls taste differant or not - it's just an assumption and popular belief, possibly because it's an urban myth as you said.

I'll have to check out the place you mentioned. Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

To get back on track :D - it looks like they're about done with the Cheesecake Factory. I drove by last night and the outside was done, the inside appeared to be done and furnished, it was lighted, etc. I didn't look closely, but I don't think the parking is done yet. I'll drive by this weekend to get a better look.

To get back on track :D  - it looks like they're about done with the Cheesecake Factory.  I drove by last night and the outside was done, the inside appeared to be done and furnished, it was lighted, etc.  I didn't look closely, but I don't think the parking is done yet.  I'll drive by this weekend to get a better look.

and no, that does not say Cheesesteak Factory :P

The entire project is supposed to be complete like a year from now. Well..hopefully things pick up soon, though. The Cheesecake factory did not take long, and I hope they get things running soon on the rest. They already got the parking on the other side of the mall done, thus clearing the land where the expansion will occur. I like what they are doing, though, as the expansion seems to be really close to Town Square, and thus, it will serve as a nice tie between the two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It looks like Kona Grill is open or about to open. And they appear to be preparing to build out the other two restaurants, but for the life of me I can't find out what they will be. Has anyone heard anything about these other two sites?

It looks like Kona Grill is open or about to open.  And they appear to be preparing to build out the other two restaurants, but for the life of me I can't find out what they will be.  Has anyone heard anything about these other two sites?

I've heard Kona Grill will defently open in First Colony I haven't heard what other tendants will lease there....

• 4 weeks later...
It looks like Kona Grill is open or about to open.  And they appear to be preparing to build out the other two restaurants, but for the life of me I can't find out what they will be.  Has anyone heard anything about these other two sites?

No idea what the other 2 will be yet, but it does look like they're starting. I just went there today and I think Kona is now open. The water feature in the middle is pretty much done too. It's really nice, but not yet filled with water.

No idea what the other 2 will be yet, but it does look like they're starting.  I just went there today and I think Kona is now open.  The water feature in the middle is pretty much done too.  It's really nice, but not yet filled with water.

Can anyone find renderings of the First Colony Expansion?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived