First Colony Developments

UrbaNerd

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. I've never seen 2 locations for an anchor in the same mall. Especially surprised that it woudl happen in such a relatively small mall.

Dillard's actually did this in several malls across the state when Montgomery Wards stores went out of business in the 90's. Therefore, this is a proven technique that should work out well.

Aside from that, the Foley's parking garage seems to be going up very quick. Do we still think they're building a third garage outside the food court area? 3 garages seems like a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

The third restaurant in FCM Lifestyle Expansion is BRIO. I know they have a location at the Woodlands Mall. Brio will be across from The CheeseCake Factory. Cant wait untill this Fall to see what the new expansion will look like? Lets say more palm trees, a nice large water fountain, and parking inside the new expansion. Like Sugarland Town Center you will be able to drive in between the new stores. Want a picture of the finished product email me at: dortega005@aol.comWell, thanks for your time.

I don't think Avalon or Commonwealth are a part of First Colony.

Commonwealth is, while Avalon is not.

• 2 weeks later...
The third restaurant in FCM Lifestyle Expansion is BRIO. I know they have a location at the Woodlands Mall. Brio will be across from The CheeseCake Factory. Cant wait untill this Fall to see what the new expansion will look like? Lets say more palm trees, a nice large water fountain, and parking inside the new expansion. Like Sugarland Town Center you will be able to drive in between the new stores. Want a picture of the finished product email me at: dortega005@aol.comWell, thanks for your time.

You'll be able to drive up to the stores? I assumed it was just a wide pedestrian plaza. I had driven by today and just assumed that. I didn't look in detail though to see if there were curbs. I just figured it would be pedestrian only.

Dillard's actually did this in several malls across the state when Montgomery Wards stores went out of business in the 90's. Therefore, this is a proven technique that should work out well.

Aside from that, the Foley's parking garage seems to be going up very quick. Do we still think they're building a third garage outside the food court area? 3 garages seems like a lot.

Baybrook Mall has 2 Dillard's stores, one at the north end and the other at the south end. The one at the south end was acquired in the Joske's takeover, and the one at the north was a Macy's before they sold all but the Galleria location in '95 or '96.

• 3 weeks later...

First Colony Mall will soon open these new stores this fall:

ALDO

Apple

Barnes & Noble

Black Walnut Cafe

Coach

Cold WaterCreek

Famous Wok

Forever 21

Grimaldi's Pizzaria

Kay Jewelrs

Levi

Shiekh Shoes

SOMA

Starbucks

Swarovski Crystal

Toni & Guy

White House/Black Market

First Colony Mall will soon open these new stores this fall:

ALDO

Apple

Barnes & Noble

Black Walnut Cafe

Coach

Cold WaterCreek

Famous Wok

Forever 21

Grimaldi's Pizzaria

Kay Jewelrs

Levi

Shiekh Shoes

SOMA

Starbucks

Swarovski Crystal

Toni & Guy

White House/Black Market

I have to wonder if the Grimaldi's is the same chain as the one they have all the way up in Brooklyn.

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto

Forever 21? Crap.... my wife spends hours in the one @ memorial city, and willowbrook, and SA, and ATX, etc, etc, etc......

:(

I have to wonder if the Grimaldi's is the same chain as the one they have all the way up in Brooklyn.

ooh, don't toy with me... just moved back here from Brooklyn Heights earlier this year. our apartment was a ten minute walk from Grimaldi's. no mention of this location on their web site if it is indeed affiliated with the one in NY.

http://www.grimaldis.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Barnes & Noble to shutter town center store in favor of new mall location

Houston Business Journal - 12:42 PM CDT Wednesday

Barnes & Noble Inc. will open a new bookstore in First Colony Mall and close its existing Sugar Land location at Sugar Land Town Center on Oct. 18.

The new store will stock close to 200,000 book, music, DVD and magazine titles and include a caf

I almost thought they were pulling out of the town "square". I guess I got them confused.

That is a good move, it will look great in the lifestyle area.

Wow. I've never seen 2 locations for an anchor in the same mall. Especially surprised that it woudl happen in such a relatively small mall.

Yeah, I dont know if any of you are familiar with Post Oak Mall in College Station, its about 700k-800k sq ft and it has two Dillards. There is the main Store that anchors the north end of the mall, then near the center of the mall where Service Merchandise once occupied, they added "Dillard's Mens & Housewears" The mall calls them Dillards North, and Dillards South.

www.postoakmall.com

I saw in one of our joke FT Bend newspapers today that there will be a grand opening of the new addition starting next Wed. It's mostly kids stuff, but I'm pretty sure the paper said the new "lifestyle" section was opening. Here's a link to what it says on First Colony Mall site- http://www.firstcolonymall.com/html/EventD...l.asp?ecd=96051

Grand Opening Celebration!

Come help us celebrate First Colony Mall's Grand Re-Opening! Don't miss out on our five-day celebration!

Wednesday, October 18th

# Bearamy appearance at Sugar Land Play Area - 12pm-2pm

# McDonald's character appearance at Sugar Land Play Area - 4pm-6pm

# Caricature artist near Fountain - 6pm-8pm

Thursday, October 19th

# Chick-fil-A Cow appearance - 12pm-2pm

# McDonald's character appearance - 4pm-6pm

# Creation Station craft event in Center Court - 6pm-8pm

# KSBJ Fun Patrol - 11am-1pm

Friday, October 20th

# Toddler Time at Chick-fil-A -10am-12pm

# Bearamy appearance - 12pm-2pm

# McDonald's character appearance - 4pm-6pm

# McKaylis Performance-Expansion Stage - 7pm

Saturday, October 21st

# Chick-fil-A Cow appearance - 12pm-2pm

# McDonald's character appearance -2pm-4pm

# Face Painters in front of Gap -2pm-5pm

# Twin Connection -Expansion Stage -7pm

# NOGGIN in JCPenney large court -1pm

Sunday, October 22nd

# Bearamy appearance -12pm-2pm

# McDonald's character appearance -2pm-4pm

# Face Painters at Main Entrance-1pm-4pm

# Karaoke for Fun at Main Entrance -3pm-6pm

# Caricature artist near Fountain -4pm-6pm

All character appearances will be in Sugar Land Play Area.

Houston Business Journal - 12:42 PM CDT Wednesday

Barnes & Noble Inc. will open a new bookstore in First Colony Mall and close its existing Sugar Land location at Sugar Land Town Center on Oct. 18.

The new store will stock close to 200,000 book, music, DVD and magazine titles and include a caf

• 2 months later...

just saw the expansion:

- A lot of stores renovated, moved around, etc., etc. (e.g. PacSun, Zales)

- Several vacant spots still (such as the one where Ann Taylor was)

- Some stores still not finished (Things Remembered, for example)

- For some reason, the old Mervyn's looks like it's still vacant...no Dillard's sign like there was supposed to be (isn't it supposed to be a second store?)

- The outside signs have changed to a more upscale, formal sign in copper and silver with a colonial font that has light accentuating the letters.

• 2 weeks later...

The outdoor life-style still needs better stores. Do not get me wrong BN is a strong point. I believe they need a real Starbucks outside. However, with BN, Black & White Market, W. Sonoma, Ann Taylor are all great stores. They still need a store to attract young people. Oh yes and Anthropoligie is also a great move. A&F needs to come back and Urban Outfitters would also be nice (I know it's hard to imagine it). Also, more marketing for Sugarland and their attractions should increase in Houston magazines and papers. (Oh yes..COACH is also a very smart move to FCM).

• 5 weeks later...
Does anyone know what is being built next to the HEB at Hwy 6 and Dulles/Austin Parkway in First Colony? The sign says that a new shopping center is coming, but the footprint looks more like a restaurant than a strip center.

Any feedback on this? It's starting to look like a rather large bank.

• 2 months later...
The outdoor life-style still needs better stores. Do not get me wrong BN is a strong point. I believe they need a real Starbucks outside. However, with BN, Black & White Market, W. Sonoma, Ann Taylor are all great stores. They still need a store to attract young people. Oh yes and Anthropoligie is also a great move. A&F needs to come back and Urban Outfitters would also be nice (I know it's hard to imagine it). Also, more marketing for Sugarland and their attractions should increase in Houston magazines and papers. (Oh yes..COACH is also a very smart move to FCM).

As a matter of fact, A&F is returning to FCM. They're also bringing in abercrombie (that's right, all lowercase...it's the Abercrombie kids store). Here's what the store list from the mall's website (and also from a leasing map taken from the website of the mall's owner) shows:

Leasing map of FCM: http://www.ggp.com/content/live/data/PDF/612-LP1.pdf

Coming soon:

A (Food Court):

Famous Cajun (next to McDonald's)

B (Area of mall surrounded by Dillard's and Macy's wings, JC Penney, the soon to be Dillard's Men's store (if that's what it is), all the mall entrances, and the Food Court):

Abercrombie & Fitch (possibly across from Bath & Body Works, taking up either three or four vacant spaces next to Sunglass Hut and Pottery Barn and surrounding Gordon's Jewelers; there are many vacant spaces in this portion of the mall, but that agglomeration is the largest on the map)

Cache

Levi

Sheikh Shoes (listed as being next to Select Comfort, could be open though...)

C (Dillard's wing):

abercrombie (the kids A&F)

Charlotte Russe

NY & Co.

(One notable vacant spot is in the former Talbots, which moved outdoors...the old Talbots could be either abercrombie kids or Charlotte Russe; NY & Co. already has a spot listed)

E (new outdoor section):

Black Walnut Cafe (not in the restaurant expansion area)

Grimaldi's Pizzeria (no clue...)

James Avery (this is most likely a relocation from the First Colony Commons...since SL would practically have to be richer than River Oaks to maintain two James Averys)

In the end, there remain a number of vacant spaces remaining...and retailers that could potentially fill them once the ones above fill in the blanks...

As a matter of fact, A&F is returning to FCM. They're also bringing in abercrombie (that's right, all lowercase...it's the Abercrombie kids store). Here's what the store list from the mall's website (and also from a leasing map taken from the website of the mall's owner) shows:

Leasing map of FCM: http://www.ggp.com/content/live/data/PDF/612-LP1.pdf

Coming soon:

A (Food Court):

Famous Cajun (next to McDonald's)

B (Area of mall surrounded by Dillard's and Macy's wings, JC Penney, the soon to be Dillard's Men's store (if that's what it is), all the mall entrances, and the Food Court):

Abercrombie & Fitch (possibly across from Bath & Body Works, taking up either three or four vacant spaces next to Sunglass Hut and Pottery Barn and surrounding Gordon's Jewelers; there are many vacant spaces in this portion of the mall, but that agglomeration is the largest on the map)

Cache

Levi

Sheikh Shoes (listed as being next to Select Comfort, could be open though...)

C (Dillard's wing):

abercrombie (the kids A&F)

Charlotte Russe

NY & Co.

(One notable vacant spot is in the former Talbots, which moved outdoors...the old Talbots could be either abercrombie kids or Charlotte Russe; NY & Co. already has a spot listed)

E (new outdoor section):

Black Walnut Cafe (not in the restaurant expansion area)

Grimaldi's Pizzeria (no clue...)

James Avery (this is most likely a relocation from the First Colony Commons...since SL would practically have to be richer than River Oaks to maintain two James Averys)

In the end, there remain a number of vacant spaces remaining...and retailers that could potentially fill them once the ones above fill in the blanks...

I agree FCM is getting better stores now. The stores stan the man listed is already old news. But I do agree FCM is improving. A hot spot to look at is La Centerra @ Katy. :)

First Colony Mall signs up more retailers

By KATHERINE FESER

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Opening this summer are: abercrombie Kids, a teen clothing store under construction; Abercrombie & Fitch, which will return in the space formerly occupied by Williams-Sonoma; The Levi's Store for its second Houston location; James Avery jewelry store; The Body Shop; and New York & Co., a women's apparel and accessories store.

Coach recently opened an accessories store and Charlotte Russe plans to open an apparel and accessories store for young women this spring. In addition, Wet Seal will relocate this summer.

The changes come as Sugar Land's First Colony Mall celebrated its 10 year anniversary last year. A renovation program began in 2005 with the addition of a restaurant plaza with The Cheesecake Factory and Kona Grill.

"We really felt like we wanted to be an entertainment and dining destination," said Aimee Braswell, the mall's marketing manager.

The second phase of the renovation consisted of the Courtyard Shops, a 125,000-square-foot expansion with stores clustered around a landscaped plaza. Among the stores are Barnes & Noble, Williams-Sonoma, White House/Black Market, soma by Chico's and Coldwater Creek.

Last year, the mall added 20 stores with 12 new to the market, including an Apple store and Pottery Barn. Four restaurants, yet to be named, will open in 2007 and 2008, Braswell said.

Situated at U.S. 59 and Texas 6, First Colony Mall is anchored by Macy's, Dillard's and J.C. Penney. The recent additions bring the mall's size to 1,045,000 square feet.

Dillard's has purchased the shuttered Mervyn's building and will shift some departments to the new store.

First Colony Mall is owned and managed by General Growth Properties. Its other malls in the area include Baybrook, Deerbrook, The Woodlands Mall and Willowbrook.

katherine.feser@chron.com

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a community meeting tonight where Opus and the Red Group unveiled plans for a "proposed" $50 million retirement center, plus office condos, and 4 retail/restaurant pad sites fronting Hwy 6 at Colonial Lakes in Missouri City. This is near the Lake Colony HEB.

Here is a link to an aerial of the site.

Here are some project details:

- 25 acre tract on N corner of Hwy 6 @ Colonial Lakes

- 4 retail/pad sites facing Hwy 6 (tentatively 1 bank and an Olive Garden)

- 6-8 one story office condos

- 220 unit, 7.9 acre 3-4 story upscale retirement center facing Colonial Lakes

- Main entrance is to be a "grand" entrance on Hwy 6 leading to a 1 acre lake inside a roundabout

- Retail is being marketed by NewQuest

- 15 month construction

Archived