First Colony Developments

UrbaNerd

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Interesting thing I overheard a few days ago.

A few ladies were talking about how The Mall was improving and how they were going "high end" and were thrilled they were getting some higher end stores like "Coach" and started referring to it as a "mini-galleria." They went on to say how they HATED going to the galleria and this was SOO much convenient and they hope to get prada...etc.etc.etc...

Now the thing is, would Sugarland be able to support such a high end mall? I don't really see that happening due to the limited population of that demographic.

Interesting thing I overheard a few days ago.

A few ladies were talking about how The Mall was improving and how they were going "high end" and were thrilled they were getting some higher end stores like "Coach" and started referring to it as a "mini-galleria." They went on to say how they HATED going to the galleria and this was SOO much convenient and they hope to get prada...etc.etc.etc...

Now the thing is, would Sugarland be able to support such a high end mall? I don't really see that happening due to the limited population of that demographic.

First Colony mall probably couldn't support it if not only for the fact that it's the closest suburban mall to the Galleria. It's only 15 miles away. I could see higher end stores going into The Woodlands before First Colony, it's 33 miles away.

• 2 weeks later...
First Colony mall probably couldn't support it if not only for the fact that it's the closest suburban mall to the Galleria. It's only 15 miles away. I could see higher end stores going into The Woodlands before First Colony, it's 33 miles away.

The Woodlands would get the stores first because of the distance, but First Colony is already having the makings of a first-tier mall...the only problem is the space limitations. The Woodlands is much larger (200+ stores to FCM's 130+). Hundreds more exist in that area.

FCM would need another expansion at least 10 years from now if this demand for high-end retail keeps rising higher and higher, since Town Square is about to get booked in the next few years, Lake Pointe will be booked a decade from now, and the shopping project in Telfair across from the airport is about to get built. In other words, expect the roof to be raised.

• 4 weeks later...
The third restaurant in FCM Lifestyle Expansion is BRIO. I know they have a location at the Woodlands Mall. Brio will be across from The CheeseCake Factory. Cant wait untill this Fall to see what the new expansion will look like? Lets say more palm trees, a nice large water fountain, and parking inside the new expansion. Like Sugarland Town Center you will be able to drive in between the new stores. Want a picture of the finished product email me at: dortega005@aol.comWell, thanks for your time.

I haven't actually seen anything about BRIO...not even a sign saying it's coming soon. The only thing at the expansion they described was Grimaldi's Pizzeria. Could BRIO have backed out of the project?

BTW, check out the website for Grimaldi's. If you have seen the coming soon sign across from Kona Grill, you might be able to identify with the lettering of the sign in the middle of the top part of the website below...

http://www.grimaldis.com/

• 2 months later...
Freebirds would be better but they're not the suburban type.

I heard through the grapevine that Freebirds is looking at expansion. They're more of a college and arthouse-oriented joint though, which explains their origin. And most likely not fit for a mall setting like FCM.

And then again, if DoubleDave's succeeded in a world of academia and expanded out to Greater Houston, then so can Freebirds, but like I said not in a mall.

As far as new stores (and it's Oct. 2007 right now), there is reportedly only one I came across: a permit for Lids. It's a sports hat store, enough said.

BTW, I just looked at a PDF document on the mall's GGP (the mall's developer) page, which listed downloadable leasing information. The tenant criteria for the lifestyle expansion had a tenant floor plan that was nostalgic and in some cases irrevelant. They had Williams-Sonoma where Apple is now, Brio across from the Cheesecake Factory and next to where Grimaldi's is reportedly going, and Eddie Bauer where American Eagle is now (Eddie Bauer closed sometime before 9/11 (it has never been back since) and AE is now in its place). And before GGP took control of FCM, there was even a proposal for a Bennigan's in the food court where the soft play area is now. Source: http://www.ggp.com/Content/Data/Constructi...Construct_2.pdf (on Page 7)

• 10 months later...

I guess this could have gone in the Sugar Land section, but I thought that since it has construction photographs Going Up would work, too.

I received this from Turner Partners Architecture

--------------------------

gallery_1_86_184164.jpg

Turner Partners Architecture, LP Announces the Construction Phase

of the First Colony Church of Christ in Sugar Land, Texas

Houston, TX -- July 17, 2008 -- Turner Partners Architecture, LP of Houston, Texas is pleased to announce that construction has begun for the expansion of the First Colony Church of Christ located at 2140 First Colony Boulevard in Sugar Land, Texas. Since its doors opened, First Colony Church of Christ has played an important role in the spiritual and educational life of the greater Houston community.

In 2006, Turner Partners Architecture began working with First Colony Church of Christ on this next phase, a substantial addition focused on a major new Worship Center. The project included site master planning and construction of a new 24,000 square feet, 1,100 seat auditorium. The program called for a main sanctuary and gathering hall to be seamlessly linked to the existing building as well as support facilities including a large multi-purpose room, choir rehearsal space and a 145 foot bell tower as the focal point for the campus. Just as the tower is the symbolic marker of the church on campus, the entry courtyard is the symbolic welcoming center of the spiritual community.

The new building embraces the original architecture as the primary focus for campus orientation and circulation. The addition is reached through the grand entrance of the old building. Exterior materials were selected to harmonize with the brick and stone cladding of the existing facility with simple and elegant materials and details. Additionally, the new facility utilizes modern technology to provide state of the art video projection and sound system for contemporary worship services.

The expected date of completion is set for December 2008. Fretz Construction is the general contractor for the project.

gallery_1_86_42077.jpg

...interesting.

So, a cross on top of the tower as well as a cross on each of its four faces? Moderation just doesn't enter into most churches' vocabularies anymore, does it? <_<

Oh, and "contemporary worship services" makes me want to beat my face on a wall until it's a bloody pulp. But that's just me.

• 4 months later...

Not to bump an ancient thread, but I noticed they're finally actually building along HI6 on this plot. Seen construction signs for a 9ers Grill, Spring Creek BBQ, and a bank I think. Anyone have more info on this site? Is Olive Garden not happening I guess?

Not to bump an ancient thread, but I noticed they're finally actually building along HI6 on this plot. Seen construction signs for a 9ers Grill, Spring Creek BBQ, and a bank I think. Anyone have more info on this site? Is Olive Garden not happening I guess?

My family LOVES Spring Creek BBQ and we've been taunted by that 'Coming Soon' sign for over a year now! I thought something must have gone wrong, but maybe there is reason to hope again.

• 4 months later...

Got a follow-up from Turner. It's done.

----------------------

Turner Partners Architecture, LP Announces the Completion

of the First Colony Church of Christ in Sugar Land, Texas

Houston, TX -- May 19, 2009 -- Turner Partners Architecture, LP of Houston, Texas is pleased to announce that construction is completed for the First Colony Church of Christ located at 2140 First Colony Boulevard

in Sugar Land, Texas.

The project encompasses a new 24,000 square foot Worship Center facility that seats 1,200 persons, carefully linked to the existing campus through

an expansive gathering hall. A 145 foot tall bell tower integrated into the new structure reaches skyward, signaling the church

• The title was changed to First Colony Developments

Archived