Museum of History And Culture Houston

SloaneGallery

CITY%20HALL%20SAM%20HOUSTON.jpg

For several years now I have been advocating the need for a museum of Houston’s history and culture. I speak of a brick and mortar building and not just a cyber presence like this wonderful blog. Architectural treasures are demolished with no regard as to who built them, why they were built or why they should remain. Prized historical collections are poised to deteriorate in silence housed in our public institutions. The link to Houston’s soul is directly tied to the wonderful achievements of our hard working citizens over the last 17 decades. Over a hundred million dollars is dedicated to a small park downtown but not a tangible dime is offered to preserve our history and culture. Harris County seems hell bent on turning what little is left of our northern historical district into one big jail. Everywhere I look I see preservation windmills to fight and this little donkey I am riding is getting tired. . Well now it is time to put it on the Mayoral candidates and see how many are willing to put the concept of a history museum into their campaign platform. In order for this museum to happen the idea first must be articulated in public by a public figure, or someone seeking public office… When it is built it is my belief that the people will come and in great numbers!

Houston is a great city but our community is fragmented. A museum dedicated to our history and culture would go a long way to help unify our citizens and help build public pride.

What I would like to know is how many folks around here agree with me and are willing to work to make this a reality… Story Jones Sloane III

OSCAR%20HOLCOMBE.jpg

Oscar Holcombe second from right in the late 1920's. I bet he would endorse such a project! The trolley behind him did not last...

I'm all for it also. When I was there for your book signing, I had a blast roaming your store looking at all the historic photos and maps. I think I would have pretty well come unglued if your store had a larger variety of artifacts and other displays. I would hope the Houston Chronicle could help pursue this endeavor with it's coverage as well. I would like to know, however, how many other major cities have a museum to recognize their own history??

Lots of cities have museums documenting their histories, and they're often the first place I visit as a tourist.

Of course, there are lots of people who don't believe Houston should touch The Big T-Word with a ten foot pole, but then they're not the decision-makers, anyway.

I thought the Ideson building had some sort of historical display or something...?

The Julia Ideson houses some of those collections that are wasting away... They have not the size or nowhere near the budget to handle what they have. I want to see a place where bus loads of our children can tour and learn why they should be proud to live here...

I thought the Ideson building had some sort of historical display or something...?

The idea of a museum like this is very appealing to a native Houstonian like myself. It would be great if a mayoral candidate were to incorporate this concept into his/her platform, but with our current serious economic downturn they might be reluctant to do so.

Have you discussed the need for this museum with any of the old-guard families whose funds and foundations help support our local cultural institutions?

Are there any existing civic or historical organizations that might also be interested in establishing a museum dedicated to the history and culture of Houston? Some hard-hitting publicity plus a grass-roots effort - perhaps beginning with neighborhood civic associations - to build awareness of the need for this museum will be essential.

The idea of a museum like this is very appealing to a native Houstonian like myself. It would be great if a mayoral candidate were to incorporate this concept into his/her platform, but with our current serious economic downturn they might be reluctant to do so.

Have you discussed the need for this museum with any of the old-guard families whose funds and foundations help support our local cultural institutions?

Are there any existing civic or historical organizations that might also be interested in establishing a museum dedicated to the history and culture of Houston? Some hard-hitting publicity plus a grass-roots effort - perhaps beginning with neighborhood civic associations - to build awareness of the need for this museum will be essential.

If I have learned anything from researching Houston’s history it’s the fact that the condition of our national economy has absolutely no influence regarding a unified goal for the community coming to fruition. Mayor Bill White was pro history and we have seen more civic involvement regarding historical preservation during his administration. However he still has failed to publicly support an independent museum for Houston’s history and culture in the form of a public service announcement. I was on his History task force and the politics of preservation are onerous to say the least. You are correct it will entail the support of our whole community, a very large grass roots effort. I have supported just about every historical and preservation organization in town at one time or another. If a history museum was going to come from that direction it would have manifested itself by now. Public awareness must start at the civic level, funding from the private sector. The lack of support from the old guard families and foundations regarding the preservation of Houston’s history can be seen by their absolute silence regarding the impending destruction of a couple old movie theatres. Back in the day they would have been bought and donated back to the community. I am a native as well and I would like to see a place where non natives can go and get excited about Houston also.

Are there any existing civic or historical organizations that might also be interested in establishing a museum dedicated to the history and culture of Houston?

Have you discussed this with the Heritage Society? From their website:

The purpose of The Heritage Society is to preserve the complete history of the community and region through preservation and restoration of historic structures, exhibition of historical artifacts, and presentation of educational programs which focus on Houston and Harris County's diverse past, and its relationship to the present and future.

Perhaps, an exploration of how they might deepen and expand on their mission beyond their park plot downtown wpould be fruitful. Also, do you see this as a single site venture or would/could this be multi-site (ala the Orange Show). I see opportunities and synergy potential in the latter.

The lack of support from the old guard families and foundations regarding the preservation of Houston’s history can be seen by their absolute silence regarding the impending destruction of a couple old movie theatres. Back in the day they would have been bought and donated back to the community.Back in the day they would have been bought and donated back to the community.

I agree that the Houston wealthy are missing the mark. I look at what Ima Hogg built not only in her beautifiul house and collection that she donated to MFAH, but in her advocation for the Houston Symphony. I look at what George Hermann built in donating land so Houston could have a major City Park, and leaving his estate to create a hospital. I look at what his friends like Munroe Anderson gave to and advocated for in order that this City create a world-class medical center. I look at what the Jones, the Cullens, the Browns and many other families continue to do through the foundations they created. Sadly, I don't see much of that happening these days.

Back in the day, I don't think Houston would have had families like the Alexanders (of Weingarten)...so oriented to the dollar without a conscience. That may be a little bit innocent, but I look at the likes of Lay, Fastow, Skilling, Stanford, Way, and I think we have a values issue.

Houstonians still support things out of sincere interest and civic pride. Gifts to TMC institutions are the greatest example of that. The Wortham Center, launched during the bust and the Houston Ballet center, also recently launched during a down economy, are clear signs of that, as well.

I can think of a variety of reasons that well-heeled Houstonians have not been attentive to the RO and Alabama theatres:

a) for lack of information on the actual peril these structures face

b)Southern gentility - not wanting to make a broo-ha-ha.

c) They have developed a sense that new is the only solution. Have you driven down RO Blvd or Memorial Drive lately? Are you aware that a major company CEO is suing the seller and buyer on a transaction where he didn't get buy and tear down a Staub house in Remington?

d) They're Weingarten investors.

e) There are no $25,000 tables available for the causelaugh.gif

f) Suggesting alternative, conscious business decisions is unmanly among the business set.sleep.gif

Rant over. In short, I don't know if it has anything to do with what you're aspiring to create. Many people celebrate the history of this City, even yankee transplants like me. I think you need to have:

-a clear mission

-acknowledge what's already established and how to work with that (foundations, which usually put forth the leadership on such projects, like to see cooperative efforts)

-a structure - proposed operations, leadership, other volunteer direction (HAIF does not count, trust mehappy.gif )

I am intrigued by your proposal SloaneGallery. Please keep us apprised as you progess with it.

A museum dedicated to the history of our city is long overdue. I wonder where an ideal location for this museum would be, Museum District? Downtown?

along the bayou, either just barely west or east of downtown. In fact, it would be a perfect alliance with the Buffalo Bayou partnership folks.

along the bayou, either just barely west or east of downtown. In fact, it would be a perfect alliance with the Buffalo Bayou partnership folks.

That might pose a problem. Irreplaceable artifacts along a flood prone corridor?

I would like to see a Houston History Museum placed in one of the older bldgs. (in the older section) downtown, but, of course, not on a lower level, too close to the bayou.

A museum dedicated to the history of our city is long overdue. I wonder where an ideal location for this museum would be, Museum District? Downtown?

I believe the museum should be located downtown. Perhaps the old Peden Iron and Steel complex the county owns on San Jacinto street just north of Buffalo bayou.. It would make a better location than a jail.

Yes, downtown would be best. Maybe by city hall or in sam houston park.

I think a good starter location would be a small structure near city hall until some some money can be acquired for a larger building later on down the road. A research facility would be nice as well, in this case, The Chronicle and post Archives would be very helpful.

this is a grand idea! we need a point by point proposal and support from community & business leaders.

i second the thought that the heritage society should be approached.

i would be willing to volunteer for a project like this.

• 2 weeks later...

CITY%20HALL%20SAM%20HOUSTON.jpg

For several years now I have been advocating the need for a museum of Houston’s history and culture. I speak of a brick and mortar building and not just a cyber presence like this wonderful blog. Architectural treasures are demolished with no regard as to who built them, why they were built or why they should remain. Prized historical collections are poised to deteriorate in silence housed in our public institutions. The link to Houston’s soul is directly tied to the wonderful achievements of our hard working citizens over the last 17 decades. Over a hundred million dollars is dedicated to a small park downtown but not a tangible dime is offered to preserve our history and culture. Harris County seems hell bent on turning what little is left of our northern historical district into one big jail. Everywhere I look I see preservation windmills to fight and this little donkey I am riding is getting tired. . Well now it is time to put it on the Mayoral candidates and see how many are willing to put the concept of a history museum into their campaign platform. In order for this museum to happen the idea first must be articulated in public by a public figure, or someone seeking public office… When it is built it is my belief that the people will come and in great numbers!

Houston is a great city but our community is fragmented. A museum dedicated to our history and culture would go a long way to help unify our citizens and help build public pride.

What I would like to know is how many folks around here agree with me and are willing to work to make this a reality… Story Jones Sloane III

OSCAR%20HOLCOMBE.jpg

Oscar Holcombe second from right in the late 1920's. I bet he would endorse such a project! The trolley behind him did not last...

PEDEN%20BLDG.jpg Now this Peden Building and complex on San Jacinto street would make a nice home for a museum...

• 5 weeks later...

Well Annise Parker has made it official, In tough times NO FUNDING FOR MUSEUMS! So I think I can be safe in saying her priorities are not positive regarding the formation of a Museum for Houston's history and culture... Yet another pundit working towards the continuing fragmentation of our society........

Well Annise Parker has made it official, In tough times NO FUNDING FOR MUSEUMS! So I think I can be safe in saying her priorities are not positive regarding the formation of a Museum for Houston's history and culture... Yet another pundit working towards the continuing fragmentation of our society........

I also heard about the stadium part, and now I'm eagerly awaiting on her position on Houston in the long term.

Now that I think public safety is important, it makes me ponder if perhaps Brown might be better.

Now if someone can revive the Mayoral race thread....

I also heard about the stadium part, and now I'm eagerly awaiting on her position on Houston in the long term.

Now that I think public safety is important, it makes me ponder if perhaps Brown might be better.

Now if someone can revive the Mayoral race thread....

EVERY POLITICIAN USES PUBLIC SAFETY AS A SUCKER PUNCH ISSUE TO GARNISH VOTES AND ANNISE PARKER IS NOT DIFFERENT. MUSEUMS NOT ONLY ENRICH OUR COMMUNITY BUT ALSO DRAW PEOPLE TO OUR COMMUNITY. ITS A SHAME THAT SHE HAS NO VISION OF THE ECONOMIC BENEFIT TO OUR CITY THAT A MUSEUM FOR HOUSTON'S HISTORY AND CULTURE COULD BRING. TIME TO LOOK AT OTHER CANDIDATES FOR MAYOR I THINK.

Archived