Museum of History And Culture Houston

EVERY POLITICIAN USES PUBLIC SAFETY AS A SUCKER PUNCH ISSUE TO GARNISH VOTES AND ANNISE PARKER IS NOT DIFFERENT. MUSEUMS NOT ONLY ENRICH OUR COMMUNITY BUT ALSO DRAW PEOPLE TO OUR COMMUNITY. ITS A SHAME THAT SHE HAS NO VISION OF THE ECONOMIC BENEFIT TO OUR CITY THAT A MUSEUM FOR HOUSTON'S HISTORY AND CULTURE COULD BRING. TIME TO LOOK AT OTHER CANDIDATES FOR MAYOR I THINK.

I knew the font was a bit huge when I could read your response from the kitchen. I take it you're overly excited about this?

Otherwise, I agree.

Edited by ricco67
  • Haha 1

I caught that in her commercial too. I think she's just talking that way to gain conservative votes. Also, the safety and police chatter is another area aimed toward vote-getting.

Hell, she's got a piece of public art 'temporarily' attached to her building, near Little Bigs.

I knew the font was a bit huge when I could read your response from the kitchen. I take it you're overly excited about this?

Otherwise, I agree.

Boy, when the size of the font used overshadows the content of the post I have to believe that some folks have to much time on their hands... Well my eyes are getting older so tiny fonts are not my bag, I wonder how many comments I will get about the font size now.. LOL

How exactly is the "fragmentation of society" a bad thing?

In my experience, folks interested in knowledge seek it out. Houston is still a very new city and it's history is still being made. I think this is a good idea in general but it could be better timed, perhaps after the Astrodome is demo'd.

Boy, when the size of the font used overshadows the content of the post I have to believe that some folks have to much time on their hands... Well my eyes are getting older so tiny fonts are not my bag, I wonder how many comments I will get about the font size now.. LOL

LOL.

A little suggestion then, when you're about to post; REDUCE the font a bit for us with delicate eyes. :)

I think your time would be better spent taking up a collection for a history museum rather than begging the establishment for one.

Begging, come now, are you upset with that font comment... :) After all I backed it down to a 12... Evidently you do not read what I write. I do not expect the city of Houston to pay for this museum. That would be an unrealistic goal! I do expect our elected officials to support the concept because I feel it is what our community needs. The bulk of the money will have to come from the private sector. I do not think anybody will have to BEG for money once enough of a grass root effort is put together. That takes time and planning. This is a public forum. I am just trying to see what percentage of folks on this site favor or oppose such an institution. So you see I am not whining or begging anybody for anything, just keeping the idea alive.... Story III

What is your problem with Annise Parker then? She's not criticizing museums, just saying that she doesn't want to spend city money on them.

My favorite museum, The Menil, didn't have any public funding [as far as I know] and doesn't even have to charge admission.

And, apparently, she is FOR museums. Her biography states she is on the Board of Directors of the Holocaust Museum Houston. And also, "Annise is also involved in historic preservation efforts in Houston and has received the “Good Brick Award ” from the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance for her restoration of historic properties in the Old Sixth Ward."

Better than a sharp stick in the eye.... :P

And, apparently, she is FOR museums. Her biography states she is on the Board of Directors of the Holocaust Museum Houston. And also, "Annise is also involved in historic preservation efforts in Houston and has received the “Good Brick Award ” from the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance for her restoration of historic properties in the Old Sixth Ward."

Better than a sharp stick in the eye.... tongue.gif

Her Public Safety commercial is a deliberate statement of non support for museum funding. Non funding means non support public or private... What would even motivate her to mention it anyway. Statements like that affect funding from all sectors of society. I just wanted one of the candidates to acknowledge that the concept of a History museum was a good idea. Not that their administration would fund it. It will take cooperation from all segments of society to accomplish the goal. I also have one of those Good Brick awards and was on the mayors task force for the preservation of Houston's history. The end result of that task force was Houston needs a museum dedicated to its history. ... Boy this is some great discussion, I am going to have to change my font more often... Story III

• Like 1

How exactly is the "fragmentation of society" a bad thing?

In my experience, folks interested in knowledge seek it out. Houston is still a very new city and it's history is still being made. I think this is a good idea in general but it could be better timed, perhaps after the Astrodome is demo'd.

Ha you are funny,, Yes Houston is only seventeen decades old, pretty new by world standards, if the preservation spirit in this town can not save a couple old movie theatres then the dome is indeed doomed....

• Like 1

Her Public Safety commercial is a deliberate statement of non support for museum funding. Non funding means non support public or private... What would even motivate her to mention it anyway. Statements like that affect funding from all sectors of society. I just wanted one of the candidates to acknowledge that the concept of a History museum was a good idea. Not that their administration would fund it. It will take cooperation from all segments of society to accomplish the goal. I also have one of those Good Brick awards and was on the mayors task force for the preservation of Houston's history. The end result of that task force was Houston needs a museum dedicated to its history. ... Boy this is some great discussion, I am going to have to change my font more often... Story III

Well I haven't seen her public safety commercial so I'll have to withhold an opinion on that until I do since the biography on her web site is at odds with that statement. ;)

Ha you are funny,, Yes Houston is only seventeen decades old, pretty new by world standards, if the preservation spirit in this town can not save a couple old movie theatres then the dome is indeed doomed....

My vote would be to trash the dome and save the movie theaters. I personally don't favor saving the dome at all. It just so... big. And doesn't have quite the impace it once did when it was all alone out there. And the maintenance... :P

Well I haven't seen her public safety commercial so I'll have to withhold an opinion on that until I do since the biography on her web site is at odds with that statement. wink.gif

Annise has it posted on her website so check it out, it loads fast. don't get me wrong I like the woman and believe she has done good things for the city,,, its just my opinion when someone says an institution like a museum should not be funded in tough times then they imply that its not worth having at all... I did not think that the city even spent enough public funds on museums to even merit mention in a campain commercial much less compare to the funding of sports stadiums... story III

Annise has it posted on her website so check it out, it loads fast. don't get me wrong I like the woman and believe she has done good things for the city,,, its just my opinion when someone says an institution like a museum should not be funded in tough times then they imply that its not worth having at all... I did not think that the city even spent enough public funds on museums to even merit mention in a campain commercial much less compare to the funding of sports stadiums... story III

Yep, will do.

Btw, a thought occurred to me. Let's put your museum in the dome. We can kill 2 birds with one stone here! (or 2 birds with 1 Sloane, haha!)

The exhibitions go on the outside edge where the stadium seating is now, leaving an atrium in the middle (somewhat smaller than the current "field"). In the atrium we put some unique attraction; a diorama of the city, giant sculpture, carousel, etc. Can we still find the dismantled Texas Cyclone??! Was it demolished??

Now that's a tourist attraction. B)

Yep, will do.

Btw, a thought occurred to me. Let's put your museum in the dome. We can kill 2 birds with one stone here! (or 2 birds with 1 Sloane, haha!)

The exhibitions go on the outside edge where the stadium seating is now, leaving an atrium in the middle (somewhat smaller than the current "field"). In the atrium we put some unique attraction; a diorama of the city, giant sculpture, carousel, etc. Can we still find the dismantled Texas Cyclone??! Was it demolished??

Now that's a tourist attraction. cool.gif

What a great idea, only we would have to drill into the old Pierce Junction oil pool below the dome to pay for it all. I still remember the first time I walked into that wonderful building. I felt so proud to live in a city that had such a fantastic place to go and see neat events, of all kinds, in the ac no less... It would indeed be a Texas sized museum, with or without the Texas Cyclone :) THey had a big one down in Galveston also... Story III

• The title was changed to Museum of History And Culture Houston