HEB At 2300 N. Shepherd Dr.

lilyheights

38 minutes ago, Angostura said:

• HEB looked at placing retail or a coffee shop at street facing location, but given how their customers tend to interact with their stores, concluded it wasn't feasible. (WF on Waugh apparently came to a similar conclusion when they removed the picnic space in the far corner of the parking lot).

Translation:  This is going to be a typical suburban store.  Deal with it.  

The patio eating area by the NW corner of the Waugh WF is very lively and always has a lot of people out eating when the weather is nice.  The parklet 200m to the north was always empty because it got a lot of afternoon sun and no one wanted to walk all the way to the far end of the property with all their food when they could just find a table right outside the door.  Getting rid of the parklet had nothing to do with the viability of street fronting seating for a cafe at a grocery store.  HEB obviously does not want to put in a cafe at this store because the giant store on Waugh will probably have all the bells and whistles.  The Heights just gets the dumpy suburban version.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, s3mh said:

Translation:  This is going to be a typical suburban store.  Deal with it.  

The patio eating area by the NW corner of the Waugh WF is very lively and always has a lot of people out eating when the weather is nice.  The parklet 200m to the north was always empty because it got a lot of afternoon sun and no one wanted to walk all the way to the far end of the property with all their food when they could just find a table right outside the door.  Getting rid of the parklet had nothing to do with the viability of street fronting seating for a cafe at a grocery store.  

You must have been at a different meeting than the one I was at.

A question was asked about putting something other than the parking structure at the corner of 23rd and Shepherd and the response was that they thought it would be under-utilized if it were placed there rather than closer to or inside the store.

Nobody used the WF parklet because they would have to cross an entire parking lot to get to it. Same with whatever HEB could place on this corner.

HEB obviously does not want to put in a cafe at this store because the giant store on Waugh will probably have all the bells and whistles.  The Heights just gets the dumpy suburban version.

Show me on the doll where the bad grocery store developer touched you. ;)

The "giant store on Waugh" is slated to be all of 5% bigger than this one (91k s.f. vs 87k); smaller than San Felipe (99k) and way smaller than Bunker Hill (127k). McClelland didn't go into specifics (nobody asked about a cafe), but did say that they'd be throwing everything in their arsenal into this store in order to draw customers away from an established competitor down the street and to attract customers into a store that's not quite as convenient to access (due to the multi-story layout). Whether that includes something like the Table 57 concept at San Felipe & Fountainview probably depends on how successful that concept turns out to be in its pilot location.

1 hour ago, Angostura said:

You must have been at a different meeting than the one I was at.

A question was asked about putting something other than the parking structure at the corner of 23rd and Shepherd and the response was that they thought it would be under-utilized if it were placed there rather than closer to or inside the store.

Nobody used the WF parklet because they would have to cross an entire parking lot to get to it. Same with whatever HEB could place on this corner.

Show me on the doll where the bad grocery store developer touched you. ;)

The "giant store on Waugh" is slated to be all of 5% bigger than this one (91k s.f. vs 87k); smaller than San Felipe (99k) and way smaller than Bunker Hill (127k). McClelland didn't go into specifics (nobody asked about a cafe), but did say that they'd be throwing everything in their arsenal into this store in order to draw customers away from an established competitor down the street and to attract customers into a store that's not quite as convenient to access (due to the multi-story layout). Whether that includes something like the Table 57 concept at San Felipe & Fountainview probably depends on how successful that concept turns out to be in its pilot location.

Show me how I can get cash payments from HEB to do guerrilla marketing for them.  You do not have to believe everything HEB tells you.  Their claim that something at street level would be underutilized is just their way of saying that it would be more expensive so go jump in the lake.  They are building the store they want to build and are putting on a PR dog and pony show to get people to think that they value community input.  They could do so much better than what they are proposing for this location.  But everyone is so giddy about getting a medicore HEB that HEB knows they can just do whatever they want.

5 hours ago, s3mh said:

Show me how I can get cash payments from HEB to do guerrilla marketing for them.  You do not have to believe everything HEB tells you.  Their claim that something at street level would be underutilized is just their way of saying that it would be more expensive so go jump in the lake.  They are building the store they want to build and are putting on a PR dog and pony show to get people to think that they value community input.  They could do so much better than what they are proposing for this location.  But everyone is so giddy about getting a medicore HEB that HEB knows they can just do whatever they want.

That's right, HEB is using their money to build the store they think will best serve their customers. What you or I think is pretty irrelevant, as it should be, given we aren't spending $35 million on construction. You are certainly free to take your patronage elsewhere, although you really need to send them a note to tell them how much revenue they are losing. You might want to also throw in a screed on how evil they are for not using your suggestions and threaten to hold your breath until they get with the program.

9 hours ago, s3mh said:

87,000 square feet for an H-E-B is not "mediocre". Just because it's not the top of its class doesn't make it "mediocre".

It's not going to be super-nice like Tanglewood or Montrose, but I could've (and did!) tell you that before November 8th, and even so, that's no reason to be bitter.

10 hours ago, IronTiger said:

87,000 square feet for an H-E-B is not "mediocre". Just because it's not the top of its class doesn't make it "mediocre".

It's not going to be super-nice like Tanglewood or Montrose, but I could've (and did!) tell you that before November 8th, and even so, that's no reason to be bitter.

In another thread the complaint was that it's too big. Now it doesn't take up enough of the lot.

FWIW, while they have some glass and steel on the façade, the Tanglewood and Montrose stores are both suburban AF in terms of site layout: store on one side of the lot, taking up about 1/4 of the area, surface parking covering the rest. Montrose gets some kudos for saving some trees and putting the back of the store against the street, but it's still a suburban store layout.

Their only Houston-area stores to depart from that formula are this one, Bellaire and Waugh & Washington. Heights and Bellaire are largely similar in layout (ground floor parking, 2nd floor store occupying about 1/2 the site), whereas Waugh will sit under 6 floors of parking and apartments. Granted the Waugh store will be a lot denser than Shepherd, but building a ton of apartments is not a great way to ingratiate yourself to folks in the Heights. Waugh is also part of a larger development, headed by Midway. There's no third-party developer for the Heights or Bellaire stores.

W/r/t to other chains, unless you count Phoenician, the only ones that come to mind with some kind of structured parking are midtown Randall's, Post Oak WF, and the upcoming midtown WF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, James Tander said:

Fall 2018 cannot come soon enough! We BADLY need a good grocery store in the area

At the rate they are going I don't see this finishing by the fall. If they finish the building they still have to hire people and stock it, just don't see it happening. Seems like 2Q  2019 to me.

That's what I thought about the Tower Point H-E-B back in high school...back in high school, I remember getting really excited that the Google Earth maps view was from February 2010 and not from 2006, then looked at the empty patch where a new H-E-B was supposed to be and wondered how they would get it open, but no, by October it was open. When I drove home, I was surprised to see a new building for H-E-B that had just been a foundation a month or two before (it too is supposed to open by fall). I'm looking forward to it...the 43rd Street Kroger is fine for all intents and purposes, but there's a number of items that I prefer to get at H-E-B...

• 8 months later...

I just drove by here over the weekend. I do like the look and the idea of building over the parking lot. I wish more infill developments did this.  Then they could have their 3 acre parking lots without loss of dev oppty. 

Archived