RiversideT

Riverside Terrace - a neighborhood in transition.

53 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2017 at 1:31 PM, VicMan said:

I wonder where the wealthier black parents prefer to send their children.

They usually prefer private schools and magnet schools.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

Which would be true, regardless of race, ethnicity, or religion, for all parents of some means who live inside the loop in neighborhoods with challenged schools.

2 people like this

15 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

It reminds me of "Dilemma of the Black Middle Class," an Op-Ed from Sheryl Cashin about one of the problems with many African-American wealthier areas: their schools aren't as good as comparable areas in white communities: https://web.archive.org/web/20080307065330/http://www.americancity.org/article.php?id_article=135 - Her thesis is that an overall "external prejudice against black neighborhoods" means black middle and upper class neighborhoods are at a disadvantage, and on the school front one of the issues was that the schools serving black middle and upper class communities larger numbers of poor children (something that Lockhart has). The other aspects that such black neighborhoods often faced were higher crime rates and a lack of high-end retail.

It would be great to see Lockhart Elementary become a neighborhood and/or magnet school on par with Roberts, River Oaks, Twain, Horn, etc. but it may be an uphill battle. I would also like to see the likes of Ruggles and Local Foods to set up shop near Riverside Terrace.

Edited by VicMan