• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#211 GovernorAggie

GovernorAggie
  • 930 posts
  • HAIFing from Downtown.
  •  

Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 at 3:50 PM

For what it's worth, I saw a worker tossing junk/debris out of a window today. There's also a wooden structure that's been placed inside the parking garage on the north side, where another worker was standing. Needless to say, I was very excited to see something going on there!

Edited by GovernorAggie, Monday, July 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM.

#212 ricco67

ricco67

The Town Character

• 6760 posts
  • HAIFing from Deep in the heart of Texas.
  •  

Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 at 4:05 PM

For what it's worth, I saw a worker tossing junk/debris out of a window today. There's also a wooden structure that's been placed inside the parking garage on the north side, where another worker was standing. Needless to say, I was very excited to see something going on there!

Just curious, has anyone noticed that there are more ads for "Days Inn" on HAIF lately?

Coincidence? :ph34r:
"If you have more than one person honking at you when you're driving in a short amount of time, you might need to rethink the way you drive, moron."
-Me

Want to kill American jobs? Shop at Walmart.

#213 lockmat

lockmat

Jesus Christ, who takes away the sins of the world

• 9057 posts
  •  

Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Yeah, I think the chron article from yesterday mentioned that they've been working on the inside already.
  • "You know, the vehicle to improve the American city is the American corporation-that's where the money is." - Gerald D. Hines
  • "mixed-use only works if the retail component could stand alone." - paraphrase of Dinerstein Cos president Brian Dinerstein [Bisnow]
  • "apartments usually work where retail does but vice versa isn’t always true." - paraphrase of Hines director Kevin Batchelor [Bisnow]
  • Houston Developments Map (Last Updated on 4/23/13)

#214 Subdude

Subdude
  • 8646 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Monday, July 7, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Be still my heart. It's hard to believe something is actually happening after all these years to Houston's most prominent eyesore!
"Foolery, sir, does walk about the orb
like the sun; it shines everywhere"

Real men don't say "veggie".

#215 The Great Hizzy!

The Great Hizzy!
  • 2435 posts

Posted Tuesday, July 8, 2008 at 8:54 AM

I believe that there has been some level of "work" being done to that building, even before the recent transaction, just nothing of any major note (mostly removing recyclable scraps and that sort of stuff). But to actually--finall--be doing some legitimate interior breakdowns is very intriguing.

#216 BigSky

BigSky
  • 59 posts

Posted Tuesday, July 8, 2008 at 11:48 PM

I have one word to say....

Hallelujah!!!!

#217 rsb320

rsb320
  • 2167 posts
  • HAIFing from Montrose.
  •  

Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I have one word to say....

Hallelujah!!!!

Amen to that! Now would somebody move on the the Central Bank building. Convert it to residential already.

#218 OkieEric

OkieEric
  • 553 posts
  • HAIFing from Montrose.

Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Wow...it'll be amazing to walk by without the stench of that perpetually flooded basement-level parking garage. I'm pretty sure something has to be living in there by this point... I'll also miss the painted "Hotel" :)

#219 robhan

robhan
  • 70 posts

Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM

I am glad they are fixing it up. The front of it has been a urinal for the homeless for a few years now. Onm a real hot day the smell can be overpowering.

#220 The Great Hizzy!

The Great Hizzy!
  • 2435 posts

Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2008 at 4:29 PM

I am glad they are fixing it up. The front of it has been a urinal for the homeless for a few years now. Onm a real hot day the smell can be overpowering.

Absolutely. But not only that. The building has also had occasional trouble with pieces of the fascia's panelling falling to the ground. They've not had the area roped off in months but for a while there it was constantly roped off.

And I agree about Central Plaza. I am also still hopefull of a remake of the old Savoy Houston.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!, Wednesday, July 9, 2008 at 4:30 PM.

#221 secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • 30 posts

Posted Monday, February 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Edited pictures :)

Edited by secretsquirrel, Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM.

#222 liammclaren

liammclaren
  • 158 posts

Posted Monday, February 9, 2009 at 1:26 AM

I know this is like 4 years late but it's now official ! I am now the "Houston King of Urban Exploring" ! B) Here's some pics from the roof of Days Inn. I love all these buildings and hope they remain here forever . The longer they sit the more interesting they are.

wow, very cool. any more?
For those who like their rock lush, melodic, and catchy: check out http://www.ravelyn.com

#223 Jax

Jax
  • Contributor
  • 2808 posts
  • HAIFing from Montrose.
  •  

Posted Monday, February 9, 2009 at 9:37 AM

So is work still being done on this building? I haven't really heard anything or noticed anything being done when I drive by.

My website | SlothCam iOS app (free version) | StepTracker iPhone app | My photography | My Houston webcam

#224 secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • 30 posts

Posted Monday, February 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM

So is work still being done on this building? I haven't really heard anything or noticed anything being done when I drive by.

They are still working (very slowly). They are still removing the asbestos. I saw decontamination showers and tons of bags of contaminated waste(asbestos). Most of the carpet, furniture has already been removed. It looks like they have a lot of work to do. The lobby is still full of huge piles of trash. I've also seen workers throwing trash out the window during the daytime.

#225 Subdude

Subdude
  • 8646 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Monday, February 9, 2009 at 3:07 PM

They are still working (very slowly). They are still removing the asbestos. I saw decontamination showers and tons of bags of contaminated waste(asbestos). Most of the carpet, furniture has already been removed. It looks like they have a lot of work to do. The lobby is still full of huge piles of trash. I've also seen workers throwing trash out the window during the daytime.

If they are in the midst of asbestos abatement are you really sure you want to be walking around there?

It is a difficult process. I think you pretty much have to get rid of everything except the frame and floor slabs.

#226 secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • 30 posts

Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Edited content :)

Edited by secretsquirrel, Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM.

#227 Subdude

Subdude
  • 8646 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I wear a P100 rated respirator and take the appropriate safety precautions to be as safe as possible. The areas where they are removing the material is totally sealed off and I stayed out of there . Asbestos won't stop me though. Nothing can compare to the feeling of looking out over the city from the roof of a 30 story building. Plus as a kid I used to drive by the Days Inn and always wondered what was inside. I had to see for myself. I'll post some more pics later

Looking forward to additional pictures. And I understand, urban exploration is a lot of fun!

#228 secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • 30 posts

Posted Thursday, February 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Looking forward to additional pictures. And I understand, urban exploration is a lot of fun!

Edited by secretsquirrel, Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 6:07 PM.

#229 sevfiv

sevfiv
  • 7900 posts
  •  

Posted Thursday, February 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Thanks for posting those...what a difference a couple decades can make :P

Posted Image

------
-------------
-----------------------

www.facebook.com/archarchive

#230 secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • 30 posts

Posted Thursday, February 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Thanks for posting those...what a difference a couple decades can make :P

Posted Image

IOh wow , I've never seen that building when it was all nice !! Do you have any more pics of any other parts of the building ?

#231 Jeebus

Jeebus

Old School HAIF Member

• 3094 posts
  • HAIFing from Katy.

Posted Thursday, February 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Posted Image

In 1990 we came and stayed here over night (from Louisiana) while attending my first Astro's game at the dome. I remember swimming in this pool and I remember our beachball going right over the side!

#232 sevfiv

sevfiv
  • 7900 posts
  •  

Posted Friday, February 13, 2009 at 12:19 AM

IOh wow , I've never seen that building when it was all nice !! Do you have any more pics of any other parts of the building ?

Here's the full brochure:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a guest ticket:

Posted Image

More:
http://www.arch-ive....y-inn-downtown/

------
-------------
-----------------------

www.facebook.com/archarchive

#233 secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • 30 posts

Posted Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Here's the full brochure:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a guest ticket:

Posted Image

More:
http://www.arch-ive....y-inn-downtown/

Sweet ! Thanks for the link !

#234 Random

Random
  • 71 posts

Posted Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Hey, long time first time.

Any updates on this? I work downtown and can see this building from my office. Needless to say I am VERY eager for something to happen with it. During my lunch break I walked by the building and it looked as though there was zero activity. I did see a bulldozer parked in a loading dock, but that's it. I don't think I've seen anything remotely resembling activity since I started working downtown (january 2009)

#235 jdbaker

jdbaker
  • 250 posts
  • HAIFing from Museum District.

Posted Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Hey, long time first time.

Any updates on this? I work downtown and can see this building from my office. Needless to say I am VERY eager for something to happen with it. During my lunch break I walked by the building and it looked as though there was zero activity. I did see a bulldozer parked in a loading dock, but that's it. I don't think I've seen anything remotely resembling activity since I started working downtown (january 2009)

I live nearby and am also interested in the status of this project. It seems like the project is dead as there has been no activity is many months.

#236 tac0meat

tac0meat
  • 20 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 7:28 AM

What happened to the pictures posted by secretsquirrel? I would love to see what the inside of this place looks like

#237 crunchtastic

crunchtastic
  • 3517 posts
  •  

Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 9:15 PM

What happened to the pictures posted by secretsquirrel? I would love to see what the inside of this place looks like

Your screen name is my new all time favorite on the internet. With the possible exception of a dude I spied on a national economics forum who calls himself 'manwhich'.

Welcome to the HAIF!

#238 tac0meat

tac0meat
  • 20 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Your screen name is my new all time favorite on the internet. With the possible exception of a dude I spied on a national economics forum who calls himself 'manwhich'.

Welcome to the HAIF!

LOL, thanks!

I have actually been snooping around on the forum for quite some time, this was my first post. It was actually this building that caused me to stumble on to the site. I was sitting in the parking lot (summer 2007) on the northside of this building, staring in amazement of such a huge structure being completely abandoned. Then i noticed on about the 8th floor, some guy wearing shorts and no shirt, pulling wiring out of the wall and coiling it up!

#239 tac0meat

tac0meat
  • 20 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Came across this concerning its development: http://thecastledev....stle/newera.php

Either work has stalled or they haven't updated their progress since June 08

#240 kylejack

kylejack
  • 4777 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Savoy that sucker!