Developments On Studewood St.

heightsfan

Actually, its 'Business for SALE'. Thats a dirty Quickie Mart anyways. No love lost if that one disappears.

What's with all the hating? I went there with my daughter and bought some yummy little chocolate donuts. Buying junk food at dirty quicky marts is an important part of growing up in the USA.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's with all the hating? I went there with my daughter and bought some yummy little chocolate donuts. Buying junk food at dirty quicky marts is an important part of growing up in the USA.

Because it is much more American to support chain stores owned by multi-national oil companies paying substandard wages than to patronize self=employed shopkeepers. The self-employed are social misfits who cannot get along in group settings, and as such, should not be encouraged by spending money at their shops. It is akin to giving spare change to the homeless.

The self-employed are social misfits who cannot get along in group settings, and as such, should not be encouraged by spending money at their shops. It is akin to giving spare change to the homeless.

Heh, giving spare change to the dude that owns all the laundromattes and half the apartment buildings in spitting distance.

I love my local quickie mart. As a regular customer, they don't screw me on the gas pump, they tell me where to get the coldest diet coke (or beers) in the bin, and if I buy smokes they charge me the Doral price for the Marlboros.

Funny how commenting a store is dirty on the forum gets all kinds of judgmental responses. My statement had nothing to do with the quality of people who own the place, the desire to have it replaced by a megachain, or that the self employed are social miscreants, yet people somehow reach these conclusions. I have been here quite often as well, and am regulars at at least a dozen other locally owned Heights establishments, and I outright refuse to spend money at a chain if I can find the same thing locally. I have said previously that the forthcoming new stores in the Target complex offer me nothing that I find enticing: Potbellys will not replace my Dacapos or McLains sandwiches, Panda Express will not replace my Empire Seafood, and Chilis will not replace my Dry Creek. I said this place is dirty, and it is. As much as I enjoy being able to walk here for the occasional item and I love the convenience, my perceived lack of cleanliness supercedes the fact that they are nice people and locally owned. I assume if I were the odd man out and the locals felt the complete opposite of me, there wouldn't be a for sale sign on their front awning.

Funny how commenting a store is dirty on the forum gets all kinds of judgmental responses.

I wasn't responding to the "dirty" comment. I even called it dirty in my post. I was responding to the "no love lost" comment. You sound like you assume that everyone holds the same low opinion of that store, and of all dirty quicky marts.

I wasn't responding to the "dirty" comment. I even called it dirty in my post. I was responding to the "no love lost" comment. You sound like you assume that everyone holds the same low opinion of that store, and of all dirty quicky marts.

Obviously there are some people out there who are smitten with dirt. I am not, especially with places that sell food and perishables. Although I know not the reasoning for their decision to sell the establishment, common sense dictates the majority of people dont like dirty establishments either, which would justify the 'for sale' sign out front.

I do somewhat enjoy the backlash my initial comment created even though people reached improper conclusions in doing so. It is this hometown Heights pride that makes me love this community more than any other.

I do somewhat enjoy the backlash my initial comment created even though people reached improper conclusions in doing so. It is this hometown Heights pride that makes me love this community more than any other.

The backlash wasn't THAT bad. But, your comment did allow me the opportunity to lament a certain mentality among some of the newer Heights residents (not including you) that values the chain store over the sole proprietor. I agree with you that the store is a dump, and if selling to a new and energetic owner causes some Pine Sol to hit the floor and Windex to hit the windows, then good for them and for us. I don't personally go to this store anyway. I go to Valero for gas, and the much cleaner quicky mart on 11th to show my appreciation of sole proprietors. I just hope another small business goes in there.

Although I know not the reasoning for their decision to sell the establishment, common sense dictates the majority of people dont like dirty establishments either, which would justify the 'for sale' sign out front.

Are you saying that the only businesses that close are disliked by the majority of people? I can list a dozen counter examples of businesses that closed for reasons entirely unrelated to popularity. It's a sad list that I'd rather not dwell on, but I can if you really think this.

Are you saying that the only businesses that close are disliked by the majority of people? I can list a dozen counter examples of businesses that closed for reasons entirely unrelated to popularity. It's a sad list that I'd rather not dwell on, but I can if you really think this.

I said no such thing. You are generalizing a specific issue in an effort to prove your point. Not every business that goes under is a result of unpopularity, but show me an unpopular business and lets see how long that place lasts. Basic economics tells us, if you don't make money, you wont stay open. Red put it ever so succinctly above when he said he visits the cleaner quickie mart on 11th. I choose cleaner establishments as well. Besides yourself, I can't think of anyone that favors dirty stores over clean ones. If this place were cleaner and more inviting, I would be more apt to give them my dollars. Antidote next door is a good example of this. I have been to Antidote more times than the quickie mart, spent more money with them than the quickie mart, and the irony if it all is I don't even drink coffee.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The new project on Studewood next to Glasswall has a huge STOP WORK order stapled on it. The notice reads something along the line of ...project violates lot size and parking requirements.

Does anyone have any more info? How does the City issue a permit without considering these issues first?

The new project on Studewood next to Glasswall has a huge STOP WORK order stapled on it. The notice reads something along the line of ...project violates lot size and parking requirements.

Does anyone have any more info? How does the City issue a permit without considering these issues first?

Looks like the duplex behind it will get demo'd soon for parking. ;)

Speaking of Studewood developement....what is going on in the front yard of the duplex near the intersection of Studewood and 11th (just South of the Tamale Factory). This guy has been building "something" along his North property line for the past few months. It seems like every time I drive by he is at work. It does not appear to be livable space.

What is it?

-A puppet theater

-Tool Shed

-the fruits of OCD

well, from what i put together, those same people tried to open an "antique" (read: junk) shop across from there several months ago (in that building right behind 11th St). one day, they were painting a sign and had some crap in the window. then they were open and then there was a violation notice and then they were moving stuff across the street. who knows... gotta love the heights

in other news:

looks like CLOVER is going out of business. i haven't been in there, but it's in the same space as the african art store that went out. i don't think that spot is necessarily doomed, but i think the businesses that have gone in don't have a market in the heights or haven't gotten the word out about what it is they do. too bad. i would love to have more retail in walking distance from my house.

kaboom books is rumored to be leaving Oolala and setting up in the current City of Houston Field Office next to Antidote. Looks like that SaveMart was bought, but is going to stay the same.

has anyone been to Lucky You? i heard from a member of Heights Kids Group that it is very eclectic and cute. i may stop by today on my walk to antidote for a glass of relaxation... aka sauv blanc.

What is it?

-A puppet theater

-Tool Shed

-the fruits of OCD

Ha! :lol:

Every time I approach that intersection at a red light, I almost rear-end the person in front of me 'cause I'm staring slack-jawed at that place.

I keep thinking they're renovating it, but It just get's more cluttered.

great stuff. :)

i took a closer look at the building today and sho'nuff- not one parking spot that i can see. i thought there would be some in the back like glass wall, but nope. can't say i am disappointed to see allegro getting stuck. <_<

i do have to say that i was looking at their rendering. so this building is supposed to be some old timey, western downtown. i guess they don't need parking b/c we'll all be riding our horses down. :rolleyes: (this is the emoticon i want but with out the smile. sarcastic roll eyes, please)

Speaking of Studewood developement....what is going on in the front yard of the duplex near the intersection of Studewood and 11th (just South of the Tamale Factory). This guy has been building "something" along his North property line for the past few months. It seems like every time I drive by he is at work. It does not appear to be livable space.

What is it?

-A puppet theater

-Tool Shed

-the fruits of OCD

Well I am beginning to wonder if the City reads this here HAIF. Driving home on Friday I noticed a red tag at the front door of the everlasting work in progress.

kaboom books is rumored to be leaving Oolala and setting up in the current City of Houston Field Office next to Antidote.

During my weekly walk to Valero to get my slurpee fix this weekend, I noticed a sign in Kabooms window saying they're actually moving to a new location on Bayland and Houston Ave.

I think Kaboom is moving to Houston Ave, into one of the old buildings where Bayland ends. They have their logo on the window and there is a sign in saying they are opening soon.

kaboom books is rumored to be leaving Oolala and setting up in the current City of Houston Field Office next to Antidote. Looks like that SaveMart was bought, but is going to stay the same.

i took a closer look at the building today and sho'nuff- not one parking spot that i can see. i thought there would be some in the back like glass wall, but nope. can't say i am disappointed to see allegro getting stuck. <_<

i do have to say that i was looking at their rendering. so this building is supposed to be some old timey, western downtown. i guess they don't need parking b/c we'll all be riding our horses down. :rolleyes: (this is the emoticon i want but with out the smile. sarcastic roll eyes, please)

The rendering shows a parking lot behind the proposed building, going back along 10th Street. Additionally, HCAD shows that Omaha & Texas Land owns not only the building site, but 2 lots behind it, for a total of 4 lots along 10th. I don't know what the parking issue is supposed to be, but they have plans for a parking lot. They just haven't moved the houses yet.

I think Kaboom is moving to Houston Ave, into one of the old buildings where Bayland ends. They have their logo on the window and there is a sign in saying they are opening soon.

Oh wow. I heard this from a barista at Antidote. Well, I did say it was just a rumor ;)

The rendering shows a parking lot behind the proposed building, going back along 10th Street. Additionally, HCAD shows that Omaha & Texas Land owns not only the building site, but 2 lots behind it, for a total of 4 lots along 10th. I don't know what the parking issue is supposed to be, but they have plans for a parking lot. They just haven't moved the houses yet.

ick. i'm sure the people between studewood and beverly are just thrilled.

ick. i'm sure the people between studewood and beverly are just thrilled.

I suppose if it is landscaped nicely it would not be too bad, but, generally, yes, it could have a high 'ick' factor. Think back lot at Berryhill for an idea what we're talking about.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed yesterday that the two houses (I believe they were both duplexes) behind the new building have been removed. Nothing but empty lots now. Considering that I live 3 blocks from here, and stop at the Valero store almost daily, I am surprised that I didn't notice it until yesterday. I would presume that they were knocked down, given that they were duplexes and that it occurred so quickly.

like all demo in the heights, it happened over night. i walk by there all the time (and your house, too, red) and one day *bam* gone. i knew it had to be coming though, since they were allowed to resume construction on the building.

like all demo in the heights, it happened over night. i walk by there all the time (and your house, too, red) and one day *bam* gone. i knew it had to be coming though, since they were allowed to resume construction on the building.

Wow, my very own stalker. :)

Like I said, if it was an overnight thing, then they were knocked down. Not that this is too offensive, since, as duplexes, they have far less rehab value than bungalows. And, its not like a new 2 story building could exist without a parking lot. On good nights, Glas Wall parking extends well over halfway down the block of 10th Street. Ideally, they'll landscape it well, and maybe even rent a few spaces to the Glass Wall valets. I must say, since we have to have parking, I'd rather have the lot "behind" the building, as they are doing here, than beside or in front of it.

Wow, my very own stalker. :)

Like I said, if it was an overnight thing, then they were knocked down. Not that this is too offensive, since, as duplexes, they have far less rehab value than bungalows.

my house is a renovated duplex and i'll have you know that the original house [we have a master added on to theback] was a 3/2 because of it <_< . can't find many 3/2 bungalows in the heights, red.

Archived