Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

You have to laugh when you look back at the woe is us posts that popped up every time the Pavillions ground breaking was delayed a week, month etc and the constant, "See? Nothing gets built in Houston" panic. Then the very day that the project DID break ground, people started complaining because some retailer they liked wasn't part of the initial group of retailers and so forth.

This stuff gets funnier the longer I post here.

All you have to do is open a window and look out south and west and see miles of development in this town. Only in Houston can people look at that and still figure out a way to feel paranoid.

It's not like you live in Cleveland or Nashville or some place.

By no means am I implying that Discovery Tower doesn't get built...I truly believe its going. However, the multiple redesigns of the building, the delays on ground breaking due to very basic error on their part, as well as the other issues with this building point to a very junior crew trying to get this thing built and designed without it being a suburban box in the CBD.

By no means am I implying that Discovery Tower doesn't get built...I truly believe its going. However, the multiple redesigns of the building, the delays on ground breaking due to very basic error on their part, as well as the other issues with this building point to a very junior crew trying to get this thing built and designed without it being a suburban box in the CBD.

A one month delay? :lol:

You are not overly familiar with building construction, are you?

Yeah, Trammell Crow has so little experience with building large projects...Buy a clue.

You're right. They are very experienced, and have the track record to go with it. Experienced development teams always do the following:

3) Redesign a building 3 times to get their costs under control, ultimately having to buy another site to put parking on to simplify the building. Then again, they are proposing such a radically different building that it can be hard to estimate what it costs to build such a building. What you say? They are building a glass box? Oh yeah.

But you're right...they are nothing but professionals who do this every day.

How far into the process were they, time-wise when they realized they needed to buy the adjoining block for a parking structure? I mean, did they come to this realization fairly recently?

Edited by Houston19514

How far into the process were they, time-wise when they realized they needed to buy the adjoining block for a parking structure? I mean, did they come to this realization fairly recently?

Off-site parking sounds like it was driven by inflationary hard costs. Sticks, bricks, and rock might be leveling off and falling in price, but structural steel and concrete continues to be in high demand. The higher go hard costs on a project like this, the greater the incentive to shorten things, for instance by placing parking on an adjacent block rather than as the base of the building.

Awsome... another lot bites the dust. :D

The lot where the parking garage is going to be and the lot just east of it had the trees along the sidewalk covered by wood and an orange net. I have noticed this before on lots that were about to start construction.

Off-site parking sounds like it was driven by inflationary hard costs. Sticks, bricks, and rock might be leveling off and falling in price, but structural steel and concrete continues to be in high demand. The higher go hard costs on a project like this, the greater the incentive to shorten things, for instance by placing parking on an adjacent block rather than as the base of the building.

I'm not sure that's the reasoning at all... They said from early on that they planned approximately 21 stories of office space on top of 10 stories of parking, but that if the demand for office space was strong enough they might make the building all office space and build separate parking on the adjacent block.

I'm not sure that's the reasoning at all... They said from early on that they planned approximately 21 stories of office space on top of 10 stories of parking, but that if the demand for office space was strong enough they might make the building all office space and build separate parking on the adjacent block.

I don't recall any intial mention of using the second block for parking. My impression had been that they would've just built higher.

I don't recall any intial mention of using the second block for parking. My impression had been that they would've just built higher.

Did you read the article? Demand was high enough, and the parking garage will be built on the adjacent lot to the east.

Did you read the article? Demand was high enough, and the parking garage will be built on the adjacent lot to the east.

Just to clarify - won't the garage be built on a block to the north (one block up LaBranch)? Not trying to be a richard, just want to make sure I understand where the garage would be. The only block that is kind of to the East is where i though the new hotel was going to go.

Also, back to my other question - does this crane sitting in the lot mean anything is right about to happen?

Just to clarify - won't the garage be built on a block to the north (one block up LaBranch)? Not trying to be a richard, just want to make sure I understand where the garage would be. The only block that is kind of to the East is where i though the new hotel was going to go.

Also, back to my other question - does this crane sitting in the lot mean anything is right about to happen?

yes, the garage will be on the block to the north.