The Leaning Tree of Eastwood

I've got a mature live oak on my Eastwood property that hasn't been pruned in about 10 years except for the limbs that were too close to the house. The result was that the tree's center of gravity is toward the street. Even the main trunk is leaning. It wasn't a big problem until that freezing rain that we had...during the thaw, the tree leaned over enough that a METRO bus hit the lowest large branch and caused a big traffic jam.

My neighbor was kind enough to trim the lowest branches that same day, so it has been temporarily dealt with, but it is going to need attention at some point. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct the Leaning Tree of Eastwood?

I'd suggest you have a qualified arborist look at it.

His/her advice will probably be something like:

1. Trim it to reduce the foliage weight, and wind resistance

2. Put a support or tieback on it if necessary to keep it from leaning further or falling over

Please, please, please use somebody that knows what they're doing...there are few things in landscaping that annoy me more than some idiot mexican hack with a chainsaw ruining the structure of a tree that took 50 or more years to get to a decent size by just indiscriminately lopping off branches.

Edited by jm1fd

• 2 weeks later...

I must have had great luck when I contacted the city to remove a huge rotting tree on my property - for free. Only for the fact that the house had been vacant close to 8 years and because the branches were constantly touching the power lines above. I was persistant and they gave in much to my surprise! A couple of guys from a tree removal service came in and cut it all the way to the ground, wow!

Now I didn't have to freak out everytime a rain storm came as this monster of a tree would tilt to my roof then back towards the heavy travelled street. What people forget is many of the trees in our area are so old you really can't see what is inside. I noticed that this tree once cut down was like hollow inside where termites & other vermin had made a hotel out of it.

As for China Berry trees...off with thier heads! These destroy everything in their path. See the comments on Topic/thread about Sharpe Street sidewalks. Planting these things was the worse idea, but no one knew how bad they get. Good luck! By the way I saved over $1,000.000 which was quoted to cut down that huge old tree. :lol:

Guest danax
he's definitely not our most pc person.

The more sensitive version would be, "likely undocumented immigrant amateur arborist".

Unfortunately, there truly are a lot of these types ruining trees and marring streetscapes around the East End and wherever they work.

Guest danax
There are white women prostitutes walking up and down Wayside near Houtex and if one was annoyed and described them as "skanky American white trash whores" I doubt many would disagree but it would rub some the wrong way because it would be tying undesirable traits to race/ethnicity and would be based on assumptions/generalizations. Sadly, all races/ethnicities produce prostitutes but to a narrow minded fellow it may seem only whites do since that is what we see on the east end.

It is ignorant and a form of stereotyping and not to mention inflammatory. The irony is that educated folks got beyond this kind of stuff long ago. It served no positive purpose.

So did my tonque in cheek PC description rub you the wrong way?

By the way, I've seen white people cut trees horribly too, if that makes you feel any better. The fact is that trees are being butchered on the East End by these guys left and right. Let's just call them "guys" so no one gets offended, or better, "people". Or maybe the East End shouldn't be mentioned because that would infer that they were Hispanics. How fine do we have to set the filters to make everyone happy?

On the other hand, jm1fd's remarks could be inflamatory to some, and I wasn't defending what he said. I was poking fun at the whole idea of PC sensitivity and I personally couldn't care less if white people are trashed by others. I'm not attached to being "white". Will I still be "white" when my spirit separates from my body? "I" am not white.

I'm really not trying to have the last word, but this is way off topic so feel free to start another topic there if you'd like to continue with this.

There are white women prostitutes walking up and down Wayside near Houtex and if one was annoyed and described them as "skanky American white trash whores" I doubt many would disagree but it would rub some the wrong way because it would be tying undesirable traits to race/ethnicity and would be based on assumptions/generalizations. Sadly, all races/ethnicities produce prostitutes but to a narrow minded fellow it may seem only whites do since that is what we see on the east end.

Do undocumented immigrant amateur whores approach their work with the same brutality as the undocumented immigrant amateur arborists?

That could explain why skanky American white trash whores are in such demand. :D

It is ignorant and a form of stereotyping and not to mention inflammatory. The irony is that educated folks got beyond this kind of stuff long ago. It served no positive purpose.

i started the discussion when jm1fd commented that MEXICANS are the ones doing the butchering. i personally can't look at anyone and determine what country they are from. since you are relatively new, i will reiterate that jm1fd isn't our most pc poster.

Sadly, all races/ethnicities produce prostitutes
Sadly? :mellow:

Uh-huh. Lawyers, too. ;)

But back to the matter at hand; I think TheNiche is to be commended for seeking advice on saving a mature tree; it will benefit not only his own property, but his neighbors' as well. From what I've seen of the East Side, too many property owners seem indifferent or even downright hostile to preserving and maintaining trees. I've seen mature pecans which have had their limbs lopped off and the trunks left standing like grisly trophies. One is uneasily reminded of Vlad the Impaler, or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Whatever a person's ethnic or cultural background, can we agree that trees usually are (in Martha's words) A Good Thing? and that some people need to have this explained to them?

I've got a mature live oak on my Eastwood property that hasn't been pruned in about 10 years except for the limbs that were too close to the house. The result was that the tree's center of gravity is toward the street. Even the main trunk is leaning. It wasn't a big problem until that freezing rain that we had...during the thaw, the tree leaned over enough that a METRO bus hit the lowest large branch and caused a big traffic jam.

My neighbor was kind enough to trim the lowest branches that same day, so it has been temporarily dealt with, but it is going to need attention at some point. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct the Leaning Tree of Eastwood?

YIKES!!! Another topic hijacked...but not by you.

I'm not sure you can correct the lean but you may be able to halt it. If you have the means, I would suggest you hire a registered arborist to do an analysis and then prune what is a very magnificent tree. I have seen it and a tree like yours adds irreplaceable value to your property. A small investment can reap great rewards if you have the fore-sight and patience to act.