Filmed in Houston

houstonsemipro

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "Laws" series (I went to law school with Kelly Seigler, BTW) filmed at Berryhill in the Heights, Columbia Street (also Heights), Market Square Grill, Mercury Room, among others.

Didn't "Paris, Texas" have some scenes set in Houston?  I seem to remember one where the guy was talking to a girl who worked at a seedy whorehouse, or something.  Not sure where it was filmed, but it reminded me of Telephone Road.

there are seedy whorehouses on telephone road? heck, where have i been all these years!?!

lol

About a month ago I watched a 1987 movie on one of the Encore channels called "A Place to Call Home" starring Linda Lavin and Lane Smith (who died yesterday). It was about a large Houston family who moves to Australia to get away from the influences of living in a big city. In one scene one of the kids gives their Australian friend an Oilers hat for Christmas. So nostalgic. :)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0093746/

There was an episode of the Food Network's "Food Finds" that aired the other day about food in Houston.

Here's the info I found from the website:

FOOD FINDS

Episode FI1D01

Houston, TX

We explore the local flavors of Houston, TX. Our first stop is at Berryhill Tamales. Next, off to Round Top for the Royer's Roundtop Cafe. Meet Ben Burkholder and his famous toffee. Finally, we meet innovative Houston chefs.

• 4 weeks later...

Do anyone agree that Houston has been kinda slow lately on building? If you compare other cities. I think Houston is waaaaaaaaaaay behind on things. I've seen upcoming projects for Las Vegas, Miami, Phoenix will blow away Houston's downtown and uptown as well.

When Houston have projects on their future list, it takes aloooooong time for they start building it. For instance, Shamrock. That's a prime example why downtown is slow.

It feels to me Houston is running low. That's just my feelings. But, I think starting next year (2006) through the future Houston will preveal.

• 10 months later...
Here's an interesting book in progress about the Buffalo Bayou. Probably the first movie ever filmed in the Houston area is mentioned here. It was a silent film that came out in 1924 called "North of 36" and was filmed on what became Cinco Ranch.

From what I've heard, Howard Hughes was born in a house in Eastwood, part of the East End Houston.

• 3 weeks later...
Terms of Endearment (outdoor scene)

Rush

Houston: The Legend of Texas (aka:Gone to Texas)

A Woman of Independant Means

I Was A Teenage Zombie Your not thinking of "My Best Friend is A Vampire" are you, scenes filmed at Milby High School the year I went there in 86.

Warning: Parental Advisory

Wasn't there a low budget comedy filmed here in the early 80s, a slasher parody called "Student Bodies" I remember there being a parade downtown in this movie.

also a 1976 TV movie called "Murder at the World Series"

I have this one taped when it aired on channel 20 back in 1992

There was indeed a movie called "Student Bodies" and it was mostly filmed around University of Houston. The movie "My Best Friend is a Vampire" was filmed here in Houston, and as you said - mostly filmed around Milby High School. I went to Bellaire High School (graduated in 1989) and we were recruited to perform a scene in "My Best Friend is a Vampire" over at Milby High School where our entire marching band marches down the field while the two main actors discuss his 'vampire' behavior of late. (Note: we were asked instead of Milby High School because Bellaire High School had the largest marching band at the time.) If you ever see the movie, you can see me playing the saxophone on screen for about 15 seconds marching in my white tube-socks. That's my claim to fame.

Wanted to comment on Bruce's list of movies for a second.

I didn't know Student Bodies was filmed here. When I first saw this movie back in the 80's, I thought it was one of THE funniest movies ever. I happen to stumble across it the other night, and watched a few minutes.........I realized that as a kid I was easily entertained. "I'm gonna give ya a horsehead !"

Robocop 2: I was actually there for some of the filming because it was done in my hometown of Baytown.

Urban Cowboy: my Dad was actually in this for a second, but it got left on the cutting room floor. I dogged him for years about it, saying that he was NEVER really in it.

The Houston Knights show: I actually thought this show had a chance, I really liked it. That and Miami Vice were "MY SHOWS" back in the day.

Uncommon Valor: LOL ! One of my alltime favorite funniest movie clips ever. Ok, I'll set the scene......Everyone is making these "Vietnam" based war movies, Platoon, Hamburger Hill, Full Metal Jacket, etc. Uncommon Valor looked great in the commercial on TV, it had Hackman, and Sawyze, and Tex Cobb, so why not go. Expecting to be comparable to Platoon, or at least close to a Chuck Norris shoot'em up flick, everything goes completely downhill when about 10 minutes into the movie they show a pristine landscape with what looks like the Rocky Mountains and a river running through it, which looks like something out of Yosemite National Park, and the subtitle at the bottom says: 30 MILES SOUTH OF HOUSTON,TX. :blink: You could literally hear the heads turning as confused couples looked toward each other for an answer. It took about 5 minutes for the audience to quit laughing and get back on track to the movie.

You forgot to add Academy award winner "SILKWOOD" filmed in Baytown and Houston also, but you have a great list there.

• 4 months later...

The NBC daytime soap opera "Texas" was set in Houston but taped in Brooklyn, New York. Their opening scenes showed The San Jacinto Monument, the Port of Houston and the downtown skyline. For a soap of that time, that did have some elaborate murals of the downtown skyline. They also did location shooting for the premier episode and often showed One Shell Plaza, known in the soap as the World Oil Building (to rival Ewing Oil from the primetime soap Dallas). One of their sets was the Top Of The World Club set on the 50th floor of One Shell Plaza. You could see a "World Building" plaque slapped on the outside of One Shell at it's entrance.

Also there was a 1979 made for TV movie called "The Girls in the Office" staring Barbara Eden. This was set in Houston and I remember them showing downtown scenes, especially Pennzoil Place from the street up. This was pre Chase Tower, Williams Tower or Wells Fargo Plaza. One Shell Plaza was the tallest building at the time but Pennzoil Place was much more striking.

PS -- The opening scenes of Reality Bites were filmed on top of Two Shell Plaza.

There - are - a - night - time - soap - called - "Texas?"!!!!!!!

Texas (1980 TV series) [1980-1982]

Daytime Drama, spun off from "Another World," which followed Iris Carrington from Bay City as she rediscovered Alex Wheeler, a former love, and moved to the Houston area. The stories centered around the daily lives of the wealthy Wheelers and Bellmans and the middle-class Marshalls and their ranching and oil interests. Beverlee McKinsey, as Iris, was the first daytime performer to be given starring credit.

Downloads are only available to those that grammatically correct.

according to wilkipedia this is a list of films filmed here. i totally forgot about logan's run.

Houston in film and TV

Part or all of these movies/shows take place in Houston and/or the Houston area

* Brewster McCloud (1970) - first film to be filmed inside the Astrodome

* The Getaway (1972) - filmed in Huntsville, TX

* Sugarland Express (1974) - filmed on location at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice - Inmate Division Jester III Unit west of Sugar Land, TX

* Rollerball (1975) - Set in Houston but filmed in Bavaria, Germany

* Logan's Run (1976) - filmed inside the Houston Hyatt Regency

* Futureworld (1976) - filmed at the Johnson Space Center facilities

* Telefon (1977) - set in Houston but filmed on a Hollywood backlot, parts of Los Angeles and inside the Hyatt Regency located at 5 Embarcadero in San Francisco, California)

* The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training (1977)

* Murder At The World Series (1977) - made-for-TV film

* The Swarm (1978)

* Urban Cowboy (1980)

* Texas (1980-1982) - Daytime soap opera, a spinoff of Another World

* Murder In Texas (1981) made-for-TV film

* Student Bodies (1981)

* The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982) - Character played by Dom DeLuise was based on KTRK personality Marvin Zindler

* Terms of Endearment (1982}

* Uncommon Valor (1983) - Set in Houston, filmed in California

* Cutter to Houston (1984)

* The Trip to Bountiful (1984) - Set in Houston but filmed in Dallas, Texas

* Houston Knights (1987-1988)

* My Best Friend Is A Vampire (1988)

* Cohen and Tate (1989)

* Night Game (1989) - filmed in Galveston, TX

* I Come In Peace (1990)

* Robocop 2 (1990)

* Sidekicks (1992)

* A Perfect World (1993) - Filmed in Hunstvile, Tx

* Jason's Lyric (1994)

* Reality Bites (1994)

* Thea (1994)

* Apollo 13 (1995)

* Independence Day (1996) - Houston is destroyed by a nuclear missile

* Tin Cup {1996) - Final tournament shot in Kingwood, Tx.

* The Evening Star (1996)

* Don't Look Back (1996) - filmed in Galveston, TX

* Armageddon (1998) - filmed at the Johnson Space Center facilities

* Rushmore (1998) - written and directed by Houstonian Wes Anderson and filmed at his alma mater - St. John's School

* Dance With Me (1998)

* Arlington Road (1999)

* 2000 WNBA Champions - Houston Comets (2000)

* Space Cowboys (2000)

* Reba (2001-) - set in Houston but filmed in Los Angeles

* Texas Justice (2001-) - Filmed in Houston

* Houston Medical (2002)

* The Crooked E: The Unshredded Truth About Enron (2003)-Set in Houston, but filmed in Canada

* Animal Cops: Houston (2003)

* Friday Night Lights (2004) (In the book and real life events, the final game of the Permian High School Team is played at the University of Texas in Austin, not the Astrodome of Houston)

There was a decent sci-fi B movie from about 1987 called "The Outing" that was perhaps filmed but definitely set in Houston. The protagonist chick even moaned a line like, "Dang, the Astros lost again!"

There was also another Sci-Fi Channel movie that was filmed in Houston judging by the obvious unmistakeable setting of Club Spy that was in it. Gorgeous nocturnal backdrop of downtown at night from the U of H angle. Just cannot remember the name of this flick.

Hot Wire (1980) was filmed here with George Kennedy, Strother Martin, Harold Gunn, etc. It was Martin's last film. I never saw it (very few people did) but knew someone who worked on it. One scene was supposed to show a stolen Rolls of the same general body style as the St. Arnold's tied-dyed Bentley coming off of 527 and crashing into the the old service station or whatever it was on Elgin and burning. The car itself had previously been totaled and only the exterior was restored.

Wasn't Liar's Moon (Matt Dillon) filmed near Houston? And wasn't either that or Sidekicks (Chuck Norris, Johnathan Brandis) bankrolled by Mattress Mac?

Archived