Favorite US city, why?

Hello.

Favorite US city. And why?

Im thinking more along the lines of big cities, not suburban areas where you grew up.

For me, to be brutally honest, im a fan of Philadelphia. I visited Philly over Christmas break, and i love the art, history and culture of that city.

From Independence Hall, to Center City, to that wonderful bridge, and the colonial residences, and the historic district. Beautiful.

Chicago is a close second. Boston is an honorable mention.

the US only has one city. New York City is the center of the world.

Second goes to San Francisco. SF has 80% of the excitement, culture and urban feel of NYC with much better scenery.

Distant third to LA, just for the vibe. LA isn't worth the hassle, though, and the only thing it really has on Houston is some better scenery and more money running around.

Second goes to San Francisco. SF has 80% of the excitement, culture and urban feel of NYC with much better scenery.

Distant third to LA, just for the vibe. LA isn't worth the hassle, though, and the only thing it really has on Houston is some better scenery and more money running around.

"the US only has one city" Well I guess that settles any debate. <_<

Seriously, for me I would have to say New York, LA, then Houston. Of course I choose to live in Houston, because I think it's the best big city in the country to raise a family.

You'd take LA over Chicago?

You'd take LA over Chicago?

Point taken. Short answer is no. Long answer is:

All the rest of the good US cities sorta fall into that third place with me. LA is just the largest, most like my home and has the best weather. On a case-by-case amenities study -- absolutely, given the choice of LA or Chicago, all things being equal, I'd choose Chicago. All things are never equal, though. I'm in the advertising business and LA is worlds ahead of Chicago -- second only to NY. So, I guess that gives it a bit of an edge. I also have been to LA more often than I have been to Chicago, so it's more familiar to me. I find it more user-friendly and know my way around it better. Chicago has much more personality, though. The architecture is fantastic. The culture seems more real and grounded. It's a baseball town -- LA loves the Dodgers, but not nearly like Chicago loves the Cubs. Chicago is an urban masterpiece. The people are down-to-earth, though. I think, psychographically, Chicago and Houston are quite similar. As a Houstonian, it really is a hard choice between the two.

Other #3 cities for me:

Houston -- Home, good vibe, but a perennial underachiever. Some of the best people you'll ever find in the world. Houston isn't nearly as big or as small as it thinks it is.

Dallas -- I like the city, but the people are the strangest mix of Oklahoma and Arkansas transplants I've ever found in a major metropolis. I've never encountered such a small-town mentality in such a cosmopolitan city. It's a weird dichotomy that out-of-staters find charming. Texans see it for what it is -- Tyler on a megolopolitan scale.

Philadelphia -- Philly may be the next New York, if Boston doesn't beat her to it. Then again, Boston can't decide if she'd rather be the next San Francisco or not. Philly's got the grit and character of Chicago with the ambition of the Guilliani-era New York.The "second-city" complex that spurred Chicago on for decades is alive and well in Philly.

Boston -- See above. Boston is a forgotten gem by most outside the Eastern Seaboard. Great baseball town. Great higher education. Beautiful planning. Dense, walkable city. Educated citizens. The problems here are taxation, high costs of living and a nearly extinct middle class in the city. Boston also seems to have a lot of prejudice holding it back. Not Old South prejudice, but holdover attitudes against immigrants.

Seattle -- Beautiful, livable city with expensive addresses. The tech boom has populated the entire region with some of the best minds in the world. The climate is agreeable, but wet -- no big deal. Seattle suffers from isolationism, though. They want desperately to be a media center or at least more famous nationwide. Their location conspires against them, though. Most older Seattle people embrace this isolation. New transplants from California can't stand it.

Denver -- Denver is the sleeper of this bunch. The city itself is antiseptically bland, but the lifestyle afforded by its location is nearly unbeatable. Denverites are rabid sports fans and big beer drinkers -- that makes it a fun place for a frat-boy mentality. Denver is mostly young and hip and seems to look toward San Diego or LA for cues on how to behave. Influences are brought in by well-heeled visitors on ski excursions, rather than by surrounding areas because Denver is at least 600 miles from the nearest big city. That means Denver is a little short on local flavor and tends toward a touristy vibe. Call it the polar opposite of Houston in a lot of ways.

Phoenix -- Phoenix barely makes this tier for me. I love the desert and find the place beautiful. Self-conscious sprawl, for sprawl's sake is a shame, though. Phoenix may prove to be the more livable LA -- a distinction that seems both blessing and curse.

Miami -- Miami is more theme park than working city, in my book. It's too detached from its state to really be called Florida. That may be part of its appeal. To me, Miami is what would happen if NYC and LA had a baby, abandoned it, and it was raised by Las Vegas. To some, that's a dream. To me, it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there...even though the hottest ad agency in the US is there.

Atlanta -- Atlanta is a less interesting Dallas, but it does offer some nice scenery nearby and some big-time urban coups have distinguished it in recent years. I haven't been very often, but when there, I couldn't help but notice the strong will Atlanta has to be great. She may be the only one who really believes it, but she believes it.

...and that's about it, in my opinion. Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland (I admit I haven't been to Detroit or Cleveland) Buffalo, St. Louis, New Orleans, San Antonio, Austin, San Diego, Charlotte, Kansas City and such are all in another lower tier, to me. But they know who they are and why they are there. A few, like San Antonio, Pittsburgh, Cincinnnati or Austin have a lot to love about them. They're just not of the caliber of the #3 cities...yet.

Very interesting characterizations there, dal. I just figured you'd like Chicago more than LA because it seems to be more you... "city life" and all. ;) I disagree that Houston and Chicago are similar, although we may be thinking of different things. I also disagree with your take on Boston... I think of all major cities, they have to be one of the most secure with who they are. In their minds, New York is still trying to be the next Boston, not the other way around. Good thoughts though.

Boston. I adore this city. Walkable. Much friendlier than outsiders would think. Historic. Within 2 hours of great skiing in Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine and easy weekends on the Cape and Islands in the summer. Educational opportunities everywhere you look (within 5 miles of my front door are Boston U, Boston College, Northeastern, Simmons, Emerson, Suffolk, Harvard, Lesley, Berklee Music, New England Law, New England Conservatory, Tufts, Brandeis, Wheelock, UMass-Boston, and a few others). Red Sox baseball. Boston Common and Public Garden. Newbury Street. The best neighborhoods in America including Beacon Hill, South End, Back Bay, North End, Charlestown, Jamaica Plain, Mission Hill, and even up and coming Dorchester. When Boston starts feeling small, I can walk 4 blocks and hop on the Acela and be in midtown Manhattan in 4 short hours.

Portland. Flies under the radar. Beautiful scenery. Friendly people. Incredible urban fabric with a real sense of place. Great transportation. Wonderful bike trails to explore. Roses. Seattle without the 'tude. Reminds me of what Telluride, Colorado would be like if one million people lived there (a real western flare with a crunchy granola twist). Best bookstore in America (Powell's). Easy drive to Eugene and the U of Oregon where Duck football and Autzen Stadium is the best college venue around.

Houston. I love an underdog and Houston is just that. Great food. Eclectic neighborhoods. Surprises around every turn. Opportunities to meet some of the best and most creative people in the country. Good weather from October to April. Live Oak canopies. Spanish Moss in the trees at UH. Hermann Park. Memorial Park. A canoe excursion on Buffalo Bayou. The Menil. Azalea Trail. Rodeo. Best of all, it will never be trendy.

Very interesting characterizations there, dal. I just figured you'd like Chicago more than LA because it seems to be more you... "city life" and all. ;) I disagree that Houston and Chicago are similar, although we may be thinking of different things. I also disagree with your take on Boston... I think of all major cities, they have to be one of the most secure with who they are. In their minds, New York is still trying to be the next Boston, not the other way around. Good thoughts though.

I said "psychographically" Chicago and Houston are very similar. I think both cities, at their hearts, view themselves as "second cities". I think they wear their blue-collar roots as a badge. I also think both have long gotten past caring what the rest of the country thinks of them. Chicago is better at this than Houston is. Both are known for widely diverse populations, yet characterized (or, stereotyped) by their regional mix. In both cases, that's an unflattering characterization. The exuberence that Chicago is enjoying right now is akin to the early 80s in Houston. Both cities have an action plan for the day they become the center of the civilized world. Both cities secretly know that day will never come.

I tend to agree with you about Boston, but it's hard to argue the city hasn't changed dramatically in mood over the last 10-15 years. Boston has gotten a taste of the tech boom and the elite are no longer just the best educated, but also the nouveaux riche. I see this as the San Fransissification of Boston. It is not a welcome influence. To me, Boston has always had an elitist feel to it, brought on by the old money in the city. The assclowns now promoting that vibe are a new breed, though.

I have several. New York, because, how it could it not be on here? I also love Boston for all the reasons KinkaidAlum mentioned. I've actually considered moving there more than once. I also enjoy Philadelphia and DC as well.

Moving off the East Coast, I've only been to Chicago once but really loved the city when I was there. The architecture of all the old buildings is just amazing, and there were many things I wanted to see and do while I was there that I just couldn't get to in one weekend. I've definitely got to plan a return trip, or bribe my boss into putting me on a project at work there. Other cities in the Midwest and center of the country I enjoy are the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, where I've been spending lots of time for work lately. Minneapolis reminds me of a smaller version of Houston, with a good example of what I hope our Downtown and Midtown areas eventually become. St. Paul feels more relaxed, but has some great, well-planned, walkable older neighborhoods, especially around Snelling and Grand Avenues, and the Highland Park area. I could actually live up there if it wasn't for the winters. The last few days I've been in the Twin Cities and the only double-digit temperatures I saw were mostly below zero. Yesterday it did warm up and we actually hit 10

Top 5 would be:

Boston - went to BC for a year and absolutely loved the city, mobility, art, education, diverse cultures (although mostly caucasion)

San Fran - lived in the bay area for 3 years, love the freaks, diversity, weather, sailing, etc etc

Portland - visited a few times and would love to live there for a spell

San Diego - I grew up just north of SD and always loved it and have really enjoyed me few short visits since.

New York - Its where my family is from and I love to visit, probably never to live

Honorable mention goes to places like Baltimore, Austin, Houston, Albuquerque, Denver, DC, Richmond, Charlotte NC, Wilmington NC and San Diego.

Dont really care for:

LA

Dallas

Miami

Las Vegas

West Coast:

It would have to be San Francisco first. It always seemed like a more pleasant, temperature wise, version of my hometown. Call me weird but I also like the rebellious/anti conformist culture of the population. Although I think they need to find some middle ground. Snob Hill is one of the Top 5 neighborhoods in the country in my opinion and I love how the city feels like everything LA could have been.

The South:

Pre-Katrina New Orleans. Despite the city's problems, you cannot blame the residents for being so proud of their city. It is one of the most connected cities as far as having some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the country all being alingned with its streetcar system, and what other city looks better walking the streets on an overcast cloudy day. Really sets the mood for the city.

The East Coast:

Although I am burned out on it, Boston will always be my favorite. Even more so than New York. In all my 34 years before moving to Houston, I lived my entire life in the North End in two different residences. The one thing I missed the most is sitting in my window with my laptop and look at the busy streets below that were almost like alleys. The atmosphere is bar none the closest thing to Europe here in the States, and the civic culture of the neighborhood is also one of the things I miss the most. It may sound very cliche as being very old New York, but I even had my window knocked out by kids playing baseball in the streets. Also as an Italian guy, not too many communites can cater to you like the North End although that has faded immensely from when my parents were growing up.

I have actually never stepped a foot in the midwest. As far as smaller cities, Portland Maine and Providence are not to bad either.

It's a tie between San Antonio, TX and San Diego, CA. I used to live in San Marcos, TX, which I really liked a lot. I'm thinking any city that begins with "San" I'll probably like. Maybe I'm a Southwest type guy, I don't know.

Anyways, San Antonio, because the downtown is beautiful and clean, it has the Riverwalk, which I've always loved. It has great freeways, low pollution, smart people, beautiful geography, and a low cost of living.

San Diego, because the downtown is beautiful and clean, the architecture of the buildings downtown, the classy people, the low crime, the great restaurants, the overall design of the city, the ocean/bay, good public transportation, clean air, a strong local identity amongst the citizens, pretty girls, the geographic diversity which makes for amazingly beautiful scenery everywhere you go in the city, and a high cost of living, which in this case, is necessary to keep all the L.A. people away. Just joking, but I had to mention the cost of living, and I didn't want to ruin the string of positive things I had going. :)

Hello.

Favorite US city. And why?

Im thinking more along the lines of big cities, not suburban areas where you grew up.

For me, to be brutally honest, im a fan of Philadelphia. I visited Philly over Christmas break, and i love the art, history and culture of that city.

From Independence Hall, to Center City, to that wonderful bridge, and the colonial residences, and the historic district. Beautiful.

Chicago is a close second. Boston is an honorable mention.

I gotta agree with you. If I had a ton of money and could live in another city part of the year, it would be Philadelphia. I love the fact that it is a big city, but doesn't feel as LARGE as NYC or Chicago. Aside from the horrendous crime rate, I think it has a perfect blend of culture, art, ethnicities, and attractions. Centre City is beautiful too AND they have citywide wiFi.

This is a good one.

I love Chicago. If I ever moved from Texas, Chicago would be the place. I would probably have to be a "winter Texan", don't think I could handle the winters. Every visit to Chicago has exceeded the prior visit. The people are friendly, transportation is easy, civic pride is very noticeable and they have some great parks. Oh, and HOT DOGS!

Boston is 2nd.

San Francisco! :wub:

It has pretty much everything I would want in a city. Here are some of the main things I love about it....

-Urban and Dense (second only to NYC when it comes to density)

-Socally Liberal / Gay Mecca

-Beautful scenery and architecture

-Great shopping / restaurants / parks / museums etc.

-Diverse Population

-Nice climate

-In a beautiful part of the Nation

Runner up cities...

2)NYC

3)Philly

4)D.C.

I grew up in the Northeast, so I spent a lot of time in these cities... they are all like home to me!

I love Houston, too... just kept it on the list since I already live here. :-)

As for other U.S. cities I have been to...

Boston - great city, lots of history... was only there once years back so I didn't get to take enough in

San Antonio / Dallas / Austin - great Texas cities... just don't stand out compared to other cities I have been to

Orlando - Love Disney and the other theme parks.. but that's about it

Los Angeles - Nice, though a big dissipointment... really expected more

New Orleans (pre Katrina) - Great city with an amazing culture, and wow do they know how to party!

Pittsburgh - Uuugh... just yuk.

• 1 month later...

My two favorite cities are Houston and Chicago. Why do I like Houston best? The climate. It is not Chicago's fault that they dont have Palm Trees, Azaleas, Live Oaks, Gardenias, Pepper Trees and Bayous.

The most unassuming places are the best ever. Basically, the towns or cities that seldom get mentioned. off the beaten path so to speak...

Carlsbad, California for me.

Why? small town feel, beachside breezes, year round tropical weather, cozy little cottages. A dream come true. Just want to live life out as a beach bum. Eternal bliss!

• 1 month later...

1.Seattle

The weather is awesome never really too hot and plenty to do. In addition -> decent shopping

2. Houston

Shopping is awsome, tons to do , does not cost a fortune to live here. Plus you can fly to any destination (unlike where I am stranded now)

THat is it :P

Archived