2011 Super Bowl

Trae

Couldn't Houston bid for this Super Bowl? We lost to Tampa for 2009, but 2011 wouldn't be bad. Rail and BRT might be sped up to reach the Super Bowl, and the Pavilions would be completed. Other possible cities in the bid are Arlington and New Orleans.

HBJ: Last year, Houston lost out on its bid for the 2010 Super Bowl to Miami and the bid you mentioned. What does Houston have to do to make itself more attractive to the NFL for a repeat appearance of the Super Bowl here?

Braham: I don't think it's a matter of making Houston more attractive. I thought the bid submitted last year was the best one submitted to the NFL. I think they were reluctant to return to Houston so quickly, even though we had been so successful in 2004.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...0046800^1408552

Couldn't Houston bid for this Super Bowl? We lost to Tampa for 2009, but 2011 wouldn't be bad. Rail and BRT might be sped up to reach the Super Bowl, and the Pavilions would be completed. Other possible cities in the bid are Arlington and New Orleans.

HBJ: Last year, Houston lost out on its bid for the 2010 Super Bowl to Miami and the bid you mentioned. What does Houston have to do to make itself more attractive to the NFL for a repeat appearance of the Super Bowl here?

Braham: I don't think it's a matter of making Houston more attractive. I thought the bid submitted last year was the best one submitted to the NFL. I think they were reluctant to return to Houston so quickly, even though we had been so successful in 2004.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...0046800^1408552

I thought Jerry had already received the rubber stamp from the NFL to host this Super Bowl in his new stadium in Arlington. I was under the impression that it wasn't up for discussion.

I think we could win against Indy and maybe even Arlington. New Orleans is the only problem (considering they bid, and hoping we do).

MetroRail would be expanded to the Galleria and to the University of Houston. The Pavilions will be complete (with moving HD television screens and a House of Blues). The Downtown Park will be complete, also. All the partying could be done in Downtown (almost like last time). A lot of people would probably stay in the Galleria, but it would be no problem to get to Downtown because the University Line would be complete by then.

Then all of those pine trees were planted all across the city would be pretty tall, too, so the freeways would look nice. IMO, a much better situation than Dallas.

I think we could win against Indy and maybe even Arlington. New Orleans is the only problem (considering they bid, and hoping we do).

MetroRail would be expanded to the Galleria and to the University of Houston. The Pavilions will be complete (with moving HD television screens and a House of Blues). The Downtown Park will be complete, also. All the partying could be done in Downtown (almost like last time). A lot of people would probably stay in the Galleria, but it would be no problem to get to Downtown because the University Line would be complete by then.

Then all of those pine trees were planted all across the city would be pretty tall, too, so the freeways would look nice. IMO, a much better situation than Dallas.

The University Line is not scheduled for completion until 2012.

Braham: b] I think they were reluctant to return to Houston so quickly, even though we had been so successful in 2004.

...which would explain why they would want to host in Miami in 2007 and 2010(twice in four years), and why they would want to host in Florida 3 of the next 4 years (Tampa 2009), and 4 out of 6 times since 2005, right?(Jacksonville 2005) Yet they were reluctant to host in Houston twice in 6 years?

Is this dude competant?

If Houston's smart, they'll push for answers to if the Astrodome will turn into a hotel or not. If it doesn't go through, oh well. But if they will complete the conversion before the end of 2010, I'd add that to the Super Bowl bid. IMO, Dallas will have the best stadium in the NFL in terms of structure and one of the best in terms of being a sports complex. If the Astrodome hotel comes through, Houston would have the best sports/convention complex in the NFL. That would probably be the only way Houston could have a competitive egde when having Super Bowl bids against cities like Miami, Glendale, New Orleans, Arlington, and others.

Let's be real though; redundancy was not the reason why Houston wasn't awarded a Super Bowl in '09 and '10...

Houston do not have a chance to host another Super Bowl. I'm sorry to break it down to y'all like that, but it's true.

The next Super Bowl in Houston I'll be a old man.

I disagree. It isn't a lost cause. Houston just has to learn the politics, that's all. It's all about amenities and politics. Has nothing to do with how glamourous a city is. Glendale proved that.

Example: Remember why Miami was voted over Houston for 2010? Miami's owner offered every owner in the NFL a yacht for Super Bowl 2010 should his city be voted.

Houston, like Miami and soon Arlington, has everything the NFL would want when in comes to hosting, which puts cities like us into consideration for Super Bowls, but when it comes to actually pulling off winning the nomination, it's a contest as to who can make the owners happy. Doesn't really matter where the Super Bowl is held; the owners will still get paid, the game will still be played, and America will still watch regardless.

And because the NFL thinks Miami rules when it comes to the Super Bowl, how about that weather. Non-stop rain. To me, it is too huge of a ballgame and too expensive for people to have to sit 5 hours in the rain. I actually wanted that to happen. Florida gets too many Super Bowls. I am sure Arlington's new stadium will get the 2011 Super Bowl. If they put that kind of money into a stadium, surely they deserve to hose at least the 2011 one.

The 2011 Superbowl WILL be in the new Cowboys' Stadium. That's been known throughout the league for the past 2 years. All that's left is the rubber stamp vote from the team owners in May. Jerry wants it in 2011. Anyone who understands the NFL and the politics among NFL owners, knows that whatever Jerry wants. . .Jerry gets. He's the single-most important reason NFL owners receive a bigger share of revenue. The owners won't say no to Jerry's request. Besides, in 2011 the Cowboys' Stadium will be the absolute best in the world.

The 2011 Superbowl WILL be in the new Cowboys' Stadium. That's been known throughout the league for the past 2 years. All that's left is the rubber stamp vote from the team owners in May. Jerry wants it in 2011. Anyone who understands the NFL and the politics among NFL owners, knows that whatever Jerry wants. . .Jerry gets. He's the single-most important reason NFL owners receive a bigger share of revenue. The owners won't say no to Jerry's request. Besides, in 2011 the Cowboys' Stadium will be the absolute best in the world.

Actually, second best next to the Indianapolis Colts new stadium. GO COLTS!! 2011!

I'm sure Arlington's Super Bowl itself would be a great game. But do U really think Arlington could stop Houston's two week pre-game party or two-day postgame party that we pulled off in 2004? (BTX, I ALSO enjoyed watching the Bears and Colts slipping and sliding all over the place. I laughed at every fumble:) )

Would the big pre-party be in the Metroplex?

What exactly makes a stadium the best in the world. What will the new Arlington stadium and the new Colts stadium have that Reliant doesn't have, I mean besides a winning team playing in it during the regular season? Wider seats for bigger asses? Bigger jumbotron? More seats? More food choices? More expensive luxury suites?

I could see how Reliant Stadium is light years ahead of Texas Stadium, but the Arlington stadium doesn't exactly seem like it will be light years ahead of Reliant Stadium. It will, however, be over twice the distance from the nearest downtown party.

There's a good chance that the SB will be in Arlington in 2011 and in Indianapolis in 2012 (or vice versa). "Ability to host the SB" has nothing to do with it. These decisions were made as rewards/payoffs for those communities forking over money to build new stadiums. The SB won't be back in SD for the foreseeable future because Qualcomm Stadium is old and the owner there wants a new stadium, so the NFL is using their ability to keep the SB away as "blackmail" so to speak in getting SD officials to pony up some dough.

The setup for the SB in Houston is excellent, without debate. But I wouldn't expect Houston to see another one until around 2013 or 2014 at the earliest. BTW, New Orleans probably won't see another one until the league feels comfortable with a) the idea that the Saints really are staying, b.) the economy/crime/infrastructure is a more stable and c) upgrades to the Superdome (that were made last year after Katrina) are deemed acceptable (before Katrina, the NFL had already said the equivalent of no new SBs to NOLA until the Superdome was revitalized, as per owner Tom Benson's wishes).

So, it's really politics, when you get down to it. Do you know that Wayne Huizenga, in part of his pitch to land SB 44 in 2010, promised each owner a 20-foot yacht or some such crap for a full week?

Politics, baby.

I admit that I might have the length wrong... but I do remember reading articles after the decision on the 2010 SB was made and how Huizenga had guaranteed the use of yachts to all the owners. John McClain from the Chronicle even joked about it, saying that Bob McNair said afterwards that if he'd known "Wayne" was going to do that, that he would've offered up some of those big, obnoxious bass fishing boats out on Lake Conroe.

Personally, I have no problem with Miami hosting every three or four years, given the climate, amenities and the fact that it's a hot tourist spot, but they really need to eventually fall back into a sensible rotation of about five or six locations, including Tampa, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego, New Orleand and maybe one of Dallas or Atlanta... I can see a bit of trepidation about Dallas and Atlanta only because there's more of a chance to see snow and ice in those places, like with the 2000 SB.

Ah well. People will flock to wherever the play the game because it's a social event regardless. I mean, if you can have a successful SB week in Jax (waay too small) and Det (waay to cold and waay to lacking in infrastructure), then you should be able to hold it anywhere, frankly.

The thing is, that they (the people that do the SB) have stated that they want milder weather to host it and few, if any, of the cities up north were capable of that.

that's one of the reasons they keep hosting in the south and west coasts. Now if they could only pass us the SB from time to time, I'd be cool with that.

Arlington is a pretty lame location, but it also gets pretty damned cold as well.

I had a friend that lives in JAX and she said she had a great time, but there were quite a few unhappy people as far as choices of things to do OUTSIDE of the parties and junk

Politics, baby.

Exactly. It's all about making the owners comfortable. The yachts were the reason why Miami won.

I think Houston will host again next decade. Bob McNair's gonna figure out a way to pull off some kind of ridiculous amenity for the owners like Miami did (Jerry Jones, too). They'll probably work together to having a Texas city host the Super Bowl every 3-4 years or something. Houston threw one of the best Super Bowl pre-parties of all time in '04, and when it comes to the big game, it doesn't matter what the weather is here.

If we get those revitalization projects complete, Houston would be hard to pass up. All McNair would have to do is promise all the owners a private-jet for the weekend (as if they can't afford renting a plane or yacht themselves)

What exactly makes a stadium the best in the world. What will the new Arlington stadium and the new Colts stadium have that Reliant doesn't have, I mean besides a winning team playing in it during the regular season? Wider seats for bigger asses? Bigger jumbotron? More seats? More food choices? More expensive luxury suites?

These days, it's all about the luxury amenities. They will have luxury club seats in places never used before in the NFL. Check out their entrance-tunnel bar for example. They'd also be the first stadium with a jumbotron outside the stadium. I wouldn't mind seeing a permanent jumbotron somewhere in the Reliant parking lot for the tailgaters.

Houston still has Dallas beat though when it comes to the stadium for one reason only...location. I know a couple people that own suites in Texas Stadium, and a lot of them don't like the idea of having to drive farther than they already do to go to a Cowboys game. Our stadium is almost equal in driving distance between Uptown and Downtown. We also may have a hotel in the same parking lot, plus a mixed-use development across the street connected by a skybridge (Astroworld site). For a lot of us, in order to go to a pre-Bowl party, we got to drive past the stadium itself.

The Cowboys' only good thing about the location is that it's between two major ones. I'm not sure how they would do their pre-Bowl festivities though. That could be Houston's advantage there if any.

...which would explain why they would want to host in Miami in 2007 and 2010(twice in four years), and why they would want to host in Florida 3 of the next 4 years (Tampa 2009), and 4 out of 6 times since 2005, right?(Jacksonville 2005) Yet they were reluctant to host in Houston twice in 6 years?

Is this dude competant?

He slipped bad on that one huh.

Moron.

I think Houston could and should be part of the rotation. New Orleans, Glendale, and Miami will be in the rotation regardless after 2012. If San Diego gets a new stadium, add them to the mix as well. Then it will be between Tampa, Houston, Arlington, and Atlanta. I bet Tampa and Houston are chosen as the last two to rotate between cities. I honestly believe they are done with Atlanta with what happened in 2000 and the same thing can easily happen in Dallas. What will help Dallas is if Arlington decides to get on the light rail bandwagon themselves. I don't see that happening, though.

I think Houston could and should be part of the rotation. New Orleans, Glendale, and Miami will be in the rotation regardless after 2012. If San Diego gets a new stadium, add them to the mix as well. Then it will be between Tampa, Houston, Arlington, and Atlanta. I bet Tampa and Houston are chosen as the last two to rotate between cities. I honestly believe they are done with Atlanta with what happened in 2000 and the same thing can easily happen in Dallas. What will help Dallas is if Arlington decides to get on the light rail bandwagon themselves. I don't see that happening, though.

Tampa's a toss-up. It depends on how they do in 2009. The fact that they won surprised everyone, but once again, politics.

Arlington has a possibility, but there's so many new stadiums being built that there's no telling who will host next decade...

Houston do not have a chance to host another Super Bowl. I'm sorry to break it down to y'all like that, but it's true.

The next Super Bowl in Houston I'll be a old man.

Well, with shining support like this.......................We are a lock for another Superbowl soon.

I am officially renaming semislow..................I now crown thee !debbiedowner.jpg

From the looks of this thread, you'd think Arlington was 30 miles from Dallas. It isn't. What will they do? I dunno, but Dolphin Stadium is not close to the partying places in Miami, so I'm sure that would be fine in Dallas or Fort Worth.

What can JerryWorld offer that others don't?

- Fully retractable glass walls on both ends in addition to the retractable roof for a more outdoorsy feel(Indy does this at one end).

- World's largest jumbotron(x2)

- Field level suites, of which I'm sure the owner and celeb types will love.

- A Superbowl in the home of one of the most storied franchises. Don't think that's ever happened.

- expandable to 100,000 seats, Indy only expands to 70,000.

I'm not one to tout Arlington, but they will have their glory park online. Between Dallas and Fort Worth, there should be plenty of recreation for the peoples. It would be different from Houston's Superbowl experience, but that doesn't mean it would be a bad bid.

Could be anyone's bid, but the only on

Well, if Arlington or Houston get it in 2011, the one who misses out should get it the next year. They favor Florida like that (three out of four years). I hope it rains like hell for Tampa and Miami this year and let the weather in Houston be the way it is now during those times.

Archived