2011 Super Bowl

Trae

From the looks of this thread, you'd think Arlington was 30 miles from Dallas. It isn't. What will they do? I dunno, but Dolphin Stadium is not close to the partying places in Miami, so I'm sure that would be fine in Dallas or Fort Worth.

What can JerryWorld offer that others don't?

- Fully retractable glass walls on both ends in addition to the retractable roof for a more outdoorsy feel(Indy does this at one end).

- World's largest jumbotron(x2)

- Field level suites, of which I'm sure the owner and celeb types will love.

- A Superbowl in the home of one of the most storied franchises. Don't think that's ever happened.

- expandable to 100,000 seats, Indy only expands to 70,000.

I'm not one to tout Arlington, but they will have their glory park online. Between Dallas and Fort Worth, there should be plenty of recreation for the peoples. It would be different from Houston's Superbowl experience, but that doesn't mean it would be a bad bid.

Could be anyone's bid, but the only on

Yo, I'm not too aware of the Metroplex's party areas. Where do you think the two-week pre-Bowl festivities would be held?

Council: Dallas can proceed with Super Bowl bid talks

01:10 PM CST on Wednesday, February 7, 2007

By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

dlevinthal@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...l.5dff9104.html

They pressured Roger Staubach enough to make him feel as if he were still a professional quarterback.

But after more than two hours Wednesday of grilling the Dallas Cowboys legend on a spectrum of topics, Dallas City Council members directed city staff to continue negotiating a participation agreement with the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Bidding Committee, which Mr. Staubach is leading.

The committee has asked Dallas to play a leading role in supporting its Super Bowl effort as it fights to attract professional football

Council: Dallas can proceed with Super Bowl bid talks

01:10 PM CST on Wednesday, February 7, 2007

By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

dlevinthal@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...l.5dff9104.html

They pressured Roger Staubach enough to make him feel as if he were still a professional quarterback.

But after more than two hours Wednesday of grilling the Dallas Cowboys legend on a spectrum of topics, Dallas City Council members directed city staff to continue negotiating a participation agreement with the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Bidding Committee, which Mr. Staubach is leading.

The committee has asked Dallas to play a leading role in supporting its Super Bowl effort as it fights to attract professional football

Reliant has a big screen at the entrance where I arrive. Also, there is a party going on at that end (south) of the stadium always. Houston's last SuperBowl was great. It was actually a fun superbowl with a great game. Downtown was so cool. But, when the Cowboys new stadium is built, I wish them success and the 2011 Superbowl. I always wonder, though, when you say you can "expand" a stadium from 70,000 to 100,000. Now, how comfortable will the newly expanded 30,000 fans be? Can you say nosebleed? Because the last huge stadium I went to and had seats in the rafters was NOT a good experience. By the way, Reliant can be "expanded" to 80,000 too. But the comfortability index would be lower.

P.S. Would you want the Cowboys' new stadium to be an outdoor stadium in the Metroplex in February?????? Brrrrrrrr

I guess my main fear is that when Dallas's stadium is completed, it will be aesthetically better and probably more desireable than Houston's. How will we be able to compete with that?

As someone said earlier, the only advantages that i think Houston will have is location and proximity to downtown. Hopefully the development in Astroworld and the Astrodome Hotel happens. We'll be untouchable then.

I guess my main fear is that when Dallas's stadium is completed, it will be aesthetically better and probably more desireable than Houston's.

The new Arlington stadium might be a little better but I don't think it will put Reliant to shame or anything. I mean, I think the two stadiums will exist in the same basic classification of "high end facilities".

But yes, imagine the appeal of Reliant with the Astrodome Convention Hotel right next door and a mixed use development where AstroWorld was. Not to mention, the relative close proximity to downtown and uptown via rail. Reliant Stadium would seem custom made for Super Bowl hostin'.

I guess my main fear is that when Dallas's stadium is completed, it will be aesthetically better and probably more desireable than Houston's. How will we be able to compete with that?

Simple. Be Houston B)

As someone said earlier, the only advantages that i think Houston will have is location and proximity to downtown. Hopefully the development in Astroworld and the Astrodome Hotel happens. We'll be untouchable then.

I agree. Biggest thing though is this: these Downtown construction projects, Astroworld, and the Astrodome renovation, would all have to be completed before that Super Bowl year. Kinda like Dallas; Victory Park will be completed well before 2011. Perhaps that would be where Dallas would want their festivities to be.

My guess with the Metroplex is that it would be very different from Houston when it comes to hosting a Super Bowl. We had our main party on Main Street, with all areas in and around Houston seeing a tourist boom and filled up hotels from north to south. Metroplex would probably have the same hotel boom, but I just can't see them having one party spot. I can imagine Fort Worth, Dallas, Arlington, and Irving all wanting to cash in by having a party plaza per-city. It could end up a really sprawled event.

• 3 weeks later...
The deadline is April 2nd. I think Houston should try and bid for this Super Bowl's 2011-2015.

I agree; it wouldn't hurt. I want to hear an announcement on the Astrodome project prior to that, so it could be included in the bid. I think they should also include in the bid the idea of having the biggest Super Bowl area ever designated for a festival, starting at The Main Event, going down Pavilions, and ending up at Discovery Green (where the NFL Experience would still be at GRB Convention Center).

They could use Hilton Americas as the Media hotel again, while having NFL types and one team stay at the Astrodome, and the other staying somewhere Uptown.

And McNair could offer all the owners a private jet ride for the weekend as an incentive (like how Miami won by offering all the owners a yatch for the weekend, as if they couldn't afford it...)

Yeah, I think the odds of the 2011 SB are very remote. The NFL is trying reward cities for building new stadiums, which is why Detroit and Indy, for example, have been considered. It's also why SD and NO won't be considered for the forseeable future. The NFL is trying to help out owners trying to sell new stadiums to their local governments by dangling the SB in front of 'em.

Houston was awarded the 2004 SB in part because Bob McNair requested Houston be granted one in the not-so-distant future following his forking over 700-plus million for the rights to the 32nd expansion team. I have no idea why Jax was suddenly awarded a SB, as renovations to Altell Stadium were completed way back in 1995 before the Jaguars played their first game. But I digress.

Anyhoo, it's going to take a few more years of new stadium openings for the NFL to go back to awarding SBs the old fashion way. Miami is going to always be a perpetual site and Tampa will probably be routine as well. After that, who knows, since NO and SD don't necessarily have guarantees in place that new stadiums will be built there.

There's also the issue of when/if Los Angeles finally gets another team.

Seems the best chance for Houston, IMO, is 2014.

• 3 months later...

Dallas won this game, although it barely beat out Indianapolis (defending Super Bowl champs who will soon have a new stadium)

A lot of NFL owners do not like Jerry Jones (do I agree???) despite his ability to supply a new stadium with 100,000 seats (20-30,000) more than Indy.

Generally, The new Cowboy's Stadium will be a spectacular backdrop to the 2011 Superbowl

Dallas won this game, although it barely beat out Indianapolis (defending Super Bowl champs who will soon have a new stadium)

So the NFL Voting Champs win

A lot of NFL owners do not like Jerry Jones (do I agree???) despite his ability to supply a new stadium with 100,000 seats (20-30,000) more than Indy.

Generally, The new Cowboy's Stadium will be a spectacular backdrop to the 2011 Superbowl

The real concern should be the $ 325 Million that Arlington is paying for the new stadium vs. what Dallas actually gains from it. I think the people who got criticized for not (bringing back) keeping the team in Dallas will look best in the end.

Archived