Inwood Forest Developments

TAK

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saw the article on the Candlewood Condos a Monday?

My thing, if they are in neglect and no owner has heeded the warning...just bulldoze the crap...

They did close some others in that area, and I think they are coming down... Also, checking on HAR, there are 6 Fourplexes that are in foreclosure. No one in their right mind will buy those things and try to rent them out. They'll be coming down soon, too.

Lots of police presence on Antoine lately... fine by me.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't heard anything. Where'd you hear that?

I heard it from one of the most active realtors in the area. She wasn't thrilled about it, to put it mildly. :(

I've heard some of that more recently. I've heard that it won't be "affordable housing" as originally planned. Doesn't mean it will be very good.

I can't see this area getting re-developed right now. Credit is about to get really tight.

Were you referring to Dennie Hodge?

I heard it from one of the most active realtors in the area. She wasn't thrilled about it, to put it mildly. :(

I've heard some of that more recently. I've heard that it won't be "affordable housing" as originally planned. Doesn't mean it will be very good.

I can't see this area getting re-developed right now. Credit is about to get really tight.

Were you referring to Dennie Hodge?

I just got this notice:

You Are Invited

To join the Greater Inwood Partnership for an afternoon of FOOD, FUN & NEIGHBORHOOD PRIDE admission is FREE!

Ralph Sellers Park

4427 Victory Drive

Sunday, June 22, 2008

1:30 p.m.4:00 p.m

Door Prizes

Free Food for Everyone

Moonwalk & Clowns for the Kids

Music & Entertainment

The POOL will be OPEN!

Please invite your neighbors and bring the whole family.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't think the Aldine area is going to get better anytime soon and I think the new developments are becoming the new ghettos. I have a friend trying to sell her house in the area and she is losing soooo much money. Her kid couldn't go to the schools and even in her brand new neighborhood there was a thuggish feel that got worse in the three years it was there. That is not going away. If you wife feels creeped at night, that's an issue but will likely be an issue all over town. I don't see that area coming up anytime soon, though I do appreciate the hope and I see the potential that it could have. Inwood has some very desirable parts, but backing up to shady apartments myself in the 610/290 area and having had guns pointed at me for no good reason, I totally feel the urge to run away to the burbs many days.

I think the suburbs are a place to plant down for good schools and that's it. House values don't seem to grow the way they do in the city, the suburbs are overbuilding (every chain on every corner) and feeling the strain of foreclosures the most. A lot of the brand new neighborhoods are Granite Ghettos, places that look nice but are robbed constantly, full of shady renters who took advantage of people who bought and couldn't make the mortgage, filled to the brim with multi-families. Crime has found its way into places that always seemed safe. I'm scared sometimes in my home, but my values go up, my neighbors seem to all sell at good prices with no problem and so as an investment it seems foolish to run off to the burbs. My dad's place's tax values out in Lakewood have barely budged over the years, and it is a nice, safe place. If you find some place that is affordable, safe and in the city let me know!

I wish I had better solutions, but safety and crime seems to be an issue everywhere.

Maybe they could turn that green space into a golf course???

I just hope that this area improves...I live in the Candlelight Oaks neighborhood which is closer to oak forest and Mangum Manor and slowly I am starting to see how young professionals (like me) are discovering all of these neighborhoods...

Maybe they could turn that green space into a golf course???

It was a golf course, but the golf course became stomping grounds for criminal activity, drug use and similar stuff. A friend of mine lives in Inwood and her backyard backs up to the golf course. She would see all kinds of stuff...kids doing the do, gang activity, whatever.

"It was a golf course"

Just kidding. I used to belong there. It was one of the nicest courses I’ve ever played, and well maintained. It was a shame to see it close.

"but the golf course became stomping grounds for criminal activity, drug use and similar stuff. A friend of mine lives in Inwood and her backyard backs up to the golf course. She would see all kinds of stuff...kids doing the do, gang activity, whatever."

Well, I tried to be as discreet as I could.

• 3 years later...

Any new updates of what is going on in Inwood Forest? I am looking to buy my first home in Houston and the size and pricing of that neighborhood is attractive. I am concerned about the uncertainty of the old golf course. I have noticed some of the apartments have been updated yet some are still sketchy.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

wow. old thre is alive .

the golf course had been purchased by the city and county. allegedly they plan to make a park and trails. i still own a house there and i rent it out i lice nearby, but in inwood.

not much had changed. you can get a bargain on a hous,and the people in thehouses s are great. the apartments are still there, and the schools are not good (if that matters to you. )

• 1 year later...

Kind of wanted to give this a bump and see what new info there was out there on the area.  I am curerntly living in oak forest, 018 and have been priced out.  Looked at Inwood but as a woman who's SO travels often, didnt know how safe I'd feel in the area.  Met some really nice folks as I drove around the area and all said it was quiet and safe. Great homes, large lots... but those apartments everywhere!  Where do you go at night if you are cooking and run out of something?? 

Thanks for your input!!

Kind of wanted to give this a bump and see what new info there was out there on the area.  I am curerntly living in oak forest, 018 and have been priced out.  Looked at Inwood but as a woman who's SO travels often, didnt know how safe I'd feel in the area.  Met some really nice folks as I drove around the area and all said it was quiet and safe. Great homes, large lots... but those apartments everywhere!  Where do you go at night if you are cooking and run out of something?? 

Thanks for your input!!

We looked at Inwood Forest when we moved to Houston about 15 years ago.  Not knowing the area, I was drawn by the low prices and the possibility of having a house on a fairway.  We changed our minds pretty quickly once we actually visited.  A lot of the houses had bars on the windows due to the high crime at the time.  It was a pretty neighborhood and could clean up well, though it's too bad the course has been closed.  As far as I know, though, it's still surrounded by low rent apartments and I've heard there was flooding during Allison.  How are the prices there now?  That might give a good indication of how people perceive the area now.  15 years ago they were below average (the house we looked at was in good shape, about 2500 sqft, on a fairway and listed for ninty-something). 

Well, they used to say that finishing Victory & Gulf Bank would kill Inwood.

I guess they were right...

I've had friends that lived in Inwood from high school to now. A girl I dated lived right off of Alabonson, just behind the store. (The Express?) Beautifully manicured yards, quiet surroundings, clean neighborhood. This was the mid 80's. Fast forward to present day. Longtime friend lives on Victory. His 5 bed/3.5 bath 2 story butts up to the previously mentioned golf course. His back door has what was a sand trap directly behind it. If you can handle kids settling their differences on the golf course, the constant smell of marijuana, various packs of pit bulls roaming to and fro, and want to see what happens to a gorgeous Randall's grocery store when it sells out to Foodarama, well then, Inwood is the place to be.

All those years, I always thought that Inwood was full of bigots with their noses so far up in the air they'd drown at the first sign of rain. In retrospect, turns out all of those busy bodies were right. When they opened the gateways to connect Acres Homes with Inwood, it went downhill...and fast.

My friend put his home on Victory up for sale. Asking price is $110k. They've been trying to sell it for almost a year and 1/2 now, if that's any indication.

• 7 months later...

I do live in this neighborhood, so I want to chime in. Inwood Forest has been continously improving in the last few years. The White Oak bike trail has been extended to the area and there will be bike trails all around the prior golf course as well. The streets are quiet with really nice neighbors. I live in a nice sized house (+2500sq feet) with an interesting architecture & big yard and pool for the half price of a much smaller house in Oak Forest which is only a few miles away. There are already some people moving in from Oak Forest/Garden Oaks since prices down there has just gone crazy. It has a very decent commute to Galleria, downtown, Energy Corridor, etc. so it will most likely continue to get better in the future. I wish the area had better retail and restaurant options, but I can access them in 10 mins in Oak Forest or 290 area until better retail finally arrives here. (Heck, I can easily afford the little extra gas by the huge savings on my housing compared to other neighborhoods.)

• 2 years later...

Bumping this thread again.

I will be closing on a 3500 sf home on the  green space with pool. Beautiful home on a quiet street. 

I have spent a lot of time in Inwood Forest for past 2.5 years and yes crime ( thieving) is bad. But Oak Forest is more stressful  in my opinion. 

People are getting tired of  the lack of sidewalks, (residents walking their babies or Dogs down most streets) , parking on street because driveways are too narrow, construction on most streets (noisy) not to mention increase in crime. 

Ive been attending events held by Brenda Stardig, council member for District A, for past year and glad she will be my rep. The Near North West group has big plans for Antoine. 

Does anyone else think it’s time to consider Inwood Forest now?  

• The title was changed to Inwood Forest Developments

Archived