Inwood Forest Developments

TAK

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From IF Web Site

(POSTED MON. FEB 5 6 PM)

The new owner of the Inwood Forest Golf and Country Club is NOT Renaissance Golf Group, LLC. It is a separate partnership named Inwood Forest Partners, LP. This new partnership apparently includes many, if not all, of the principals of

Renaissance Golf Group, LLC. Richard Cook is a limited partner in the Inwood Forest Partners and will serve as General Manager at Inwood Forest; he also is the General Manager at Quail Valley.

In a notice today that was sent to club members describe some changes to operations effective immediately.

1. North and West courses will be open for play.

2. The Golf shop will be open.

3. All food and beverage services will be closed

4. 30 days from Feb 5 the Inwood Forest Club will be permanently closed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if the news toady changes the above?

You should know that Renaissance Golf Group, LLC (out of Ohio, I believe) is becoming well-known in the Greater Houston area for buying out golf courses and developing them. They have done this already at Quail Valley in Missouri City. Despite a battle with homeowners association (they lost) part of the course has been developed, though some holes are still open.

Their more recent battle is in Clear Lake - the first master-planned community in Texas. They bought the Clear Lake Golf Course, a public course, 18 holes, 70+ acres, knowing full well that there were deed restrictions on the property requiring the land to remain a golf course or other recreational facility until 2021, at which time if the owner could show that it was not economically feasible, the owner could petition to be let out of the deed restrictions.

They chased away all of the groups, doubled the rates, and literally stopped all maintenance. About 18 months later we were told they were petitioning Exxon to get out of the deed restrictions to develop it into luxury single family townhomes and single residential homes. (Land also identified for churches, etc.)

The homeowners fought hard and are still fighting. We raised money for a flood survey (which proved our claim) and the Clear Lake City Water Authority is working to condemn the land as green space flood run-off, and take it through eminent domain. As soon as RGG realized the homeowners were going to fight - they immediately closed the course and it has sat vacant for the last year. During the summer it is like pulling teeth to get them to mow... We live on the course and since they closed we have had trouble with skunks (burrowing under our home), raccoons, snakes, and coyotes.

Just this week I heard that RGG has filed in court for a summary judgement to be released from the deed restrictions, which would allow them to build *anything* they want on the property. (And they would now, just to punish us... they have made that quite clear.) CLCCL for the homeowners has hired an attorney.

Perhaps those involved with Inwood could speak to those involved at CLCCL to better understand RGG tactics and fight them? The closure of the course just broke my heart... we bought our property specifically because of the golf course. And I love our house - can't bear to think of moving.

From IF Web Site

(POSTED MON. FEB 5 6 PM)

The new owner of the Inwood Forest Golf and Country Club is NOT Renaissance Golf Group, LLC. It is a separate partnership named Inwood Forest Partners, LP. This new partnership apparently includes many, if not all, of the principals of

Renaissance Golf Group, LLC. Richard Cook is a limited partner in the Inwood Forest Partners and will serve as General Manager at Inwood Forest; he also is the General Manager at Quail Valley.

i live in inwood north - across the bayou from the course and i have a view. i don't mind the golf course closing, per se, but i am interested/concerned with what would go into the spaces that are now course. there are plenty of rumors - mostly relating to "low income housing". i don't mind that either, but i would like to know ahead of time so i can decide what to do with my place and when to do it.

i have a feeling there will be some real estate opportunities either way this goes. just depends on your point of view.

i live in inwood north - across the bayou from the course and i have a view. i don't mind the golf course closing, per se, but i am interested/concerned with what would go into the spaces that are now course. there are plenty of rumors - mostly relating to "low income housing". i don't mind that either, but i would like to know ahead of time so i can decide what to do with my place and when to do it.

i have a feeling there will be some real estate opportunities either way this goes. just depends on your point of view.

I think I am going to keep an open mind about this. I hate seeing the golf course go...really was hoping that they would have turned it public. But who knows...perhaps since the area is not all that far from downtown Houston and other popular areas, and the fact that Oak Forest has been rising in value...maybe mid-income homes might be built? Guess we just have to wait and see. But this won't keep me from buying my house there in IF, and still plan on spending money and time to fix it up nice. Also won't keep me from trying to talk the area up to get more people interested in the area.

Here is the latest via the Inwood Forest Web site

Several partners of Inwood Forest Partners LP met with Councilwoman Toni Lawrence on Tuesday, Feb. 20th. During that meeting, she arranged for the partners to meet with the IF community. The meeting was held on Wednesday, February 21st at the Near Northwest Management District's office on Hollister.

The meeting was attended by :

Toni Lawrence

Mark Voltmann, Richard Cook and Phil Hawk all of whom are partners in the Inwood Forest Partners LP.

Patty Knudson and Angela Martinez of Knudson and Associates.

Clymer Wright, Julie Grothues, Steve Brickhouse and Ken Miller of Inwood Forest

Comilla Thompson of Inwood HOA (the townhomes)

Roy Millmore, Mike Carpenter and Wayne Norden of the Near Northwest Management District

Mark Voltmann noted that Inwood Forest Partners LP are not developers. They are a transition team that will get the property ready to sell to developers. They intend to plat the property for development, put deed restrictions on it and then sell it to developers.

It was stated by both Mark Voltmann and Patty Knudson during the meeting that they do not intend to demolish the clubhouse.

Mark Voltmann noted that their group has talked to the Harris County Flood Control District (HCFCD) and has presented them with some ideas about parts of the golf course. We have confirmed with HCFCD that there are no deals in the works. HCFCD is listening, but Inwood Forest Partners LP has not been presented them with any plans and HCFCD has not made any commitments.

Mark Voltmann noted that they will be going to the City with a plan for development in about 30 - 60 days and will keep in touch with the community.

Mark Voltmann also noted that the golf course grass will be maintained in accordance with City of Houston ordinances.

IFCIA Board

Inwood is like Fondren...big homes that got sandwiched in between apartment complexes that went under in the 80s and were forced to change its tactics to they can raise the occupancy rates. The homes in the area are nice but will never reach its tru value because of the surrounding area. Like Fondren at one time...you can shop upscale at one store and two blocks over you can find the knockoff item.

Inwood borders Acres Homes and as history suggest, the urban neighborhood residents will move to the next area over if its nicer and if there's immediate access.

Look...

Acres Home borders Inwood Forest, Hidden Valley, etc. and the major streets are West Little York and Vetarans Memorial.

Veterans Memorial, with its great access to 1960, has changed overnight as the area has become diverse with older families moving to the Stuebner Airline side and the Veterans Side resembling a modern day Acres Home. Little York goes from 45 to 290 and with the apartments along the way it's a natural growth pattern from Acres Homes.

South Park used to be white but Sunnyside residents started moving in and South Park residents moved further down telephone road, Mykawa and Bellfore which created the demand for Sterling High. Eventually, Sterling High's attendance zone demographic changed and the areas along Bellfort slowly started to crumble and Gulf Meadows near the Beltway pops up which is nicer and a little more harder to get into at the time. It's still HISD but borders Pasadena ISD....

BUT...Gulf Meadows starts to change as South Park & Sunnyside residents want to move into something better and this starts to eventual developement further down Telephone Road to Pearland...

the difference in Pearland is that they can control who moves in persay so it's harder for the folks to flock down Telephone and Mykawa. However, Pearland expands and with direct access to the area via Cullen and soon MLK and Scott people are slowly moving into the area. The new high school will have an HISD look to it since it borders the area.

Houston's history is nothing but run and hide but for us as blacks, we never owned much so that's why we lost 4th ward, losing 3rd ward and Acres Home is an area that's ripe for the taking.

• 1 month later...

Inwood Forest Update

In reference to the sale of the Golf Course: On April 12th, City Council Representative Toni Lawrence's office sent me this e-mail.

More information can be found at http://greaterinwoodpartnership.org/

After talking with the City of Houston Planning Department the owners of the Inwood Forest property will be establishing a public hearing date for May 10, 2007. They will be announcing this at the planning commission today.

i think i might need to move onto the bayou trail... i like that ride as it is, but i have to drive 5 miles to the park, then get on my bike. it will be nice to "walk out the back door" and get on...

plus, i can speculate on some improvement-based appreciation... ;-)

• 4 months later...

So let me understand ...

1. The course was sold, but there are really no solid plans by the developer(?)

2. Was the flooding concerns there ever addressed by the city(?)

3. Why have housing prices remained low.

I have looked in that area, and it 'seems' there are some incredible bargains.

If the golf course is developed, are they talking the main clubhouse area land (off Antoine) or all the lands that loop around and are bordered by reall nice homes (Arncliffe, Brushwood, Moss Glenn, etc.)?

Also, what's crime like in that area?

The Inwood Forest Country Club and golf course was closed earlier this year after being acquired by Inwood Partners LLC, which announced plans to sell the property for development.

The Inwood Forest Civic Improvement Association has since filed a lawsuit against the new club owners and the former owner, Inwood Forest Country Club Inc., seeking to prevent development of the former golf course.

Tremain says the case has been scheduled for trial on May 12, 2008.

looks like legal action is attempting to stop development.

since the area does flood, development wouldn't be a good thing. white oak flooding has not yet been addressed.

The area has been going down for some time. there are many nice homes still but i think the trend has scared off some prospective buyers.

The Inwood Forest Country Club and golf course was closed earlier this year after being acquired by Inwood Partners LLC, which announced plans to sell the property for development.

The Inwood Forest Civic Improvement Association has since filed a lawsuit against the new club owners and the former owner, Inwood Forest Country Club Inc., seeking to prevent development of the former golf course.

Tremain says the case has been scheduled for trial on May 12, 2008.

looks like legal action is attempting to stop development.

since the area does flood, development wouldn't be a good thing. white oak flooding has not yet been addressed.

The area has been going down for some time. there are many nice homes still but i think the trend has scared off some prospective buyers.

Are we talking development of ALL the greens area or just the area nearest the clubhouse? I am wondering how they would build anything in the greater loop of the golf course...?

wordgirl...

yes Inwood Forest was once a very nice neighborhood... when my parents bought there in 1980 it was a fairly new community with nicely designed and maintained homes... the country club was beautiful and across the street from it on Antoine were several mansions... if anyone remembers the clubs back then called "Kars", the owners lived in one of those houses... huge and with a green from one of the holes out the backyard and a pond... they always had several Mercedes in the driveway as well as a Lamborghini Countach... with 27 holes of golf this neighborhood was designed to be a showplace and for families to have a nice environment to live and grow and play...

This was probably a member of ZZ Top, I know one of them lived out there on that main street. I lived on Sunnyvail Forest (I think that was the name) when they were first built. Three years later my family moved due to my dads job. About four years ago I went to look at the area, and was shocked at the condition it is in. It is very sad, that area could be so much more!

Rule of thumb! Don't ever live near mass transit in the suburbs, this is what happens. It is happening to The Champions slowly!

This was probably a member of ZZ Top, I know one of them lived out there on that main street. I lived on Sunnyvail Forest (I think that was the name) when they were first built. Three years later my family moved due to my dads job. About four years ago I went to look at the area, and was shocked at the condition it is in. It is very sad, that area could be so much more!

Rule of thumb! Don't ever live near mass transit in the suburbs, this is what happens. It is happening to The Champions slowly!

Sunnyvale Forest. I live on it now.

The rule of thumb is stay away from mass apartments. The mass transit is barely used.

The houses in the area are still nice. It's the apartment areas the are terrible. I understand the need for apartments, I lived in apartments a lot as a child. I don't understand the need for all of the mega apartment complexes to be so concentrated. In the case of IF, the area got choked off from the rest of the city by too many apartments to the north and the south.

Sunnyvale haha, yeah the homes looked the same. I remember as a kid my brother and I would goto the golf course and would play in the sand trap. I was like "ooooh look free golf balls". Then this old man with his club came after us. LOL my brother and I still laugh to this day.

Didn't know the game of golf when we were 5 and 8. Just saw a ball there with no one playing with and took it.

• 1 month later...

So what is the latest update on Inwood Forest house prices and livability? Has closing the golf course had the effect of causing a drastic downturn? Is there any hope the golf course can be reopened? What is the litigation aiming to accomplish?

Does anyone know?

Prices are LOW. Livability is fine. Golf course hasn't done much. They haven't settled on what's going to become of it.

The litigation, I believe is to:

1. Keep it a golf course, or, at least

2. Keep it from becoming affordable housing (biggest fear.)

I live here. If you want to live near the city, and want to do it cheaply, and don't mind doing some updating. This is as good a place as any other. There's not a lot of good retail, but that's the case in most 1980s neighborhoods inside the beltway, and that's why you live close to everything - you have to travel a bit, but you get lots of choices.

If you have kids, you will probably not want to move here, as the schools are not the best (not the worst, either, but everyone plays the "good schools" game, so...)

I know there are new prefab subdivisions that are zoned to Eisenhower High School inside and outside the Beltway. They are made by Lennar, Ryland, and KB Home.

Parkland Place, which is almost completely sold out, is very close to the golf course: http://www.ryland.com/find-your-new-home/1...lace.html?qmi=1

Mount Royal Village seems to be fairly close to Inwood Forest: http://www.lennar.com/findhome/directions....mp;DIVID=HLWLEN

I live next to Parkland Place - it sits next to (as in on) a train track. I can hear the train at my place. I know the folks over there hear it... it's LOUD. I wouldn't live in that space in those homes. (Apology for offending anyone - just personal preference.)

Mount Royal Village isn't really in the Inwood Forest area, per se. You could live in Mt. Royal Village and not even know Inwood Forest existed.

I've pretty much resigned myself to moving, but I plan to keep my house. I really think the 290 construction and changes will make a difference for a lot of this area.

Reply: Well, I think the architecture in the Inwood neighborhoods is really cool. The houses look so much more interesting than the cookie-cutter stuff you see in other low-cost neighborhoods. I don't understand why people aren't flocking to them. I know. . . the threat of crime, but unless the crime impacts the residents directly, where's the problem?

I don't have kids, I have to admit.

Real or perceived issues with 1) crime, 2) schools, or 3) commute.

1 - especially in the apartments. it's mostly the apartments that kill IF.

2 - i have this same perception. it may be false. i doubt it.

3 - only people ITL think they have a better commute. Most here think it's the best commute for the money. (including me)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any new information on the prospective development of the golf course? I heard they're going to plat 5000 SF lots in the north golf course. Is that true? How can they when there is still ongoing litigation to block development? :huh:

Any new information on the prospective development of the golf course? I heard they're going to plat 5000 SF lots in the north golf course. Is that true? How can they when there is still ongoing litigation to block development? :huh:

I hadn't heard anything. Where'd you hear that?

I don't know why they'd put lots there, and I don't know where the streets would run. Do they think people want to move into that space, but into new houses on small lots?!

I doubt this is taking place... I'll keep watching out my window.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody with any HPD connections know what's going on with regards to increased police activity in the area? I've been seeing more of the Zero Tolerance folks out, stopping all traffic violators (looking for warrants, no doubt).

Several months ago, I was stopped in my wife's Volvo (registration expired about a week prior... I never drive her car, so I didn't know).

This past weekend, I was coming home from an uneventful evening in Midtown - about 12a Friday night, and saw a lot of cops and wreckers up and down Antoine.

I'd like to know who is pressing for the presence (great!) and what their angle is. It can't just be "protecting the Houston residents" with the understaffed HPD...

Either way, I'm thankful, as long as they're doing what they should be doing - Serving and Protecting...

Archived