Stowers Building At 820 Fannin St.

ricco67

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Wulfe & Co. is trying to make the bottom floor of the Stowers building into a grocery store. Do you think it will make downtown a greater neighborhood or do we still need one of those urban design big box grocery stores to make the full effect happen such as Target or Whole Foods?

Here are some pics I took of the newly renovated building last weekend. The building looks brand new again with new light fixtures, new canopy for the entry way and everything. :) Work is happening inside on the bottom floor.

952336431dm.jpg

aa484qp.jpg

Rendering of new market

stowersrendering2.jpg

I agree that downtown could use a grocery store.

When you say urban design big box store do you mean a one story grocery store in its own building that just happens to be up to the street? Because if so, I would prefer this route of having a grocery store at the base of a building. Especially since it aids in the renovation of an old building in this case.

We seem to have a lot of new retail coming downtown. It used to be residential wasn't built because there was no retail and vice-versa, now that retail is coming might we see a residential boom?

If their business model allows them to operate at a loss for about 2-3 years, they will ultimately be successful. Unfortunately groceries are a volume business. They likely will not be able to afford the time it takes Downtown to grow around them and worse -- will lack the support network that Randall's in Midtown has to help offset losses...unless this store is run by a big chain willing to trade some losses now to eventually own the market Downtown.

Seems like a very risky gamble, but one I hope pays off.

Guest danax

That's almost perfect. Unobtrusive and with the old-fashioned canopies. Downtown can get by without a major grocer at this point and perhaps forever. If Whole Foods really ends up there then that's great too but short trips to a neighborhood market, like in the old days, are more in line with urban, no car living whereas major full-cart grocery shopping requires a car, so the major stores would be better off in the areas surrounding Downtown.

That building could really be a knockout if they painted it in a way with a little more flair than white on white though.

Unobtrusive and with the old-fashioned canopies

Yes, but if you could have seen the original brass canopies they removed last year. They were much better.

A grocery could make it, but they had best offer a good lunch deli counter. Houston Center alone could make that place work during the day.

The question is how many people live downtown to support it at night and on the weekends?

Maybe a "Randalls Local" just like the Sainsbury's in London.

That would be cool.

Personally I think in the future that the real residential core of downtown will be near the Hilton Americas and Convention Center, where all the surface lots are located. There just has not been anybody to start it off. Hopefully the park will catch the interest of a developer because the new park is surrounded by surface lots. Talk about full potential. I am mentioning this because grocery stores and retail like this will likely develop around and on the properties of midrise residential developments.

I don't think the jails are a problem. . .the County jail is a good 10 blocks from there. And the federal detention center on Texas is just a large, non-descript government building. . .there's not a lot of loitering in front of it like there is at the county pen. The real problem with a less-desirable element will probably come from the Montague hotel, just a couple of buildings down.

I do hope that they can withstand a 2-3 year window of loss. Ed Wulfe is too good of a developer to be under any illusions that this is going to be an instant hit. I think (hope?) he's in for the long haul. The lunchtime business from Houston Center will hopefully give them enough traffic to minimize the loss until they can get a foothold.

I used to work in 2 Houston, which is across the street, and there are a lot more bums here than on the other side of downtown near One Allen Center, etc.

But I have never had any problem with it being near the jail.

How about a "Central Market - Local"? HEB and Ed did good at Gulf Gate. Why not downtown?

Guest danax
Yes, but if you could have seen the original brass canopies they removed last year.  They were much better.

Don't tell me that. Original? That building must be 100 years old at least. Heathens.

Don't tell me that. Original? That building must be 100 years old at least. Heathens.

Speaking of the Montague, what is the deal with that place? I used to see it when I worked down there, is it a functioning hotel or a half way house? It looks like it should be condemned or at least be surrounded by cop cars every night because who knows what is going on in there.

On the first topic, I could see this as being great for that near east end area they are starting to build up. There is no grocery store over there and I would love being able to leave work down town, stop by the grocery store and then be home in 2 minutes. I don't really care if its an independant or chain, but I would probably prefer a HEB personally. Whole Foods and such are great, but for day to day stuff I prefer a standard grocery store.

Subdude will probably know.

Sorry, don't know. At some point the building must have been heavily remodeled though. I saw an old photo in which the windows were covered with what looked like vertical black steel grilling that extended from ground to roof. Overall it looks like they've done a nice restoration job. I love that enameled white brick.

I have a hard time seeing a grocery store doing well here. It seems the Whole Foods mentioned for the ground floor of the Shamrock would seem a better situated for dowtown residents.

Perhaps this store could be marketed not only to downtown residents, but also as a convenience to people who commute.

A half-hour spent shopping downtown after work would help avoid the very worst of the rush hour traffic, and eliminate the need to make a seperate trip to a suburban supermarket. The walk from nearby parking garages would be no further than one often encounters in 'sprawl' parking lots.

If people can be persuaded to re-examine their routines, it might just work.

Marketing it as "Office Condos" almost works against having a built in customer base.

I agree. Office Condo's do not make sense to me. At lease in this market. Why would a company was to buy its space and be locked into the space. At least if you lease you have the option of moving, expanding or gettting smaller. Seriously who is the market for an office condo. I guess a small business owner or an artist. Lame if you ask me.

I think this has been covered in the past with regards to a grocer to be located downtown:

The Demographics for a downtown grocery store will be vastly different from a typical one we see around town.

One of the challenges a downtowner has is the limited amount of room they have for their pantries and therefore, they are unable to buy items in bulk.

They're going to have to be able to have a somewat limited amount of staple items and most people that do buy them are going to just buy a bag or two.

I witnessed this several times with people wandering around in suits with a single bag or two in groceries.

Also, the demographic of downtown is young (24-30) moderate upper income ($75k per year) and believe me, these kids eat out ALOT.

Whoever winds up having a store there will have to adjust their inventories accordingly rather quickly as they see what people need.

Ricco

Perhaps this store could be marketed not only to downtown residents, but also as a convenience to people who commute.

A half-hour spent shopping downtown after work would help avoid the very worst of the rush hour traffic, and eliminate the need to make a seperate trip to a suburban supermarket. The walk from nearby parking garages would be no further than one often encounters in 'sprawl' parking lots.

If people can be persuaded to re-examine their routines, it might just work.

That seems very plausible. I did the same thing out in Westchase where I work. I would often try to find something to do out here to get me onto the beltway to pearland at a more optimal time. Shopping, eating, working out, all that kind of stuff.