3 Coins In The Fountain

Vertigo58

I see the old prank of throwing a box of suds in the fountains is still alive and well. I was done at Mecom about 2 weekends ago.

There was a nice big round one over by Allen Center once but it seems to have vanished? Its been removed but not sure when? Falling in once is hard to forget. Suds were tossed in there quite often too. Late 70's.

• 1 month later...
The lights are back on at the Mecom Fountain!

Was at the MFA and CAM today and noticed when we were leaving. Has this been recent?

they had a news report yesterday that said the lights were supposed to be back on this weekend.

Yeah and they are brighter than ever! And it's not the spotlight from Za-Za. It looked really great tonight! This is the first night I've noticed them being back on, and I live nearby.

Yeah and they are brighter than ever! And it's not the spotlight from Za-Za. It looked really great tonight! This is the first night I've noticed them being back on, and I live nearby.

That must be very cool living nearby. When I was a kid, we dreamed of living in the Rice area. It was so pretty, compared to railroad tracks and grain silos.

That must be very cool living nearby. When I was a kid, we dreamed of living in the Rice area. It was so pretty, compared to railroad tracks and grain silos.

Me too! Especially on or around Sunset Blvd. Thousands of squirrels to play with, big oak tress, lavish homes, etc! :P

I noticed the new lights last night driving home down Montrose. WOW! The fountain looks better than ever, and is visible from a couple of miles up Montrose.

Now if the thugs that stole the lights before will just leave it alone.

• 5 months later...

Check out this website for a local design-build firm that specializes in water features: www.greenscapepump.com

I found them in the Texas Architecture magazine. They are building the interactive fountain at Enterprise Plaza. It's supposed to be programmed by the same people who designed Belagio.

Check out this website for a local design-build firm that specializes in water features: www.greenscapepump.com

I found them in the Texas Architecture magazine. They are building the interactive fountain at Enterprise Plaza. It's supposed to be programmed by the same people who designed Belagio.

While doing some research on Toronto recently I came across an interesting tidbit...

The jets in the pavement-level fountains at Yonge-Dundas square are sequenced to go off at the same speed as the average person jogs, so that joggers can run through the fountain to cool off without having to slow down.

Henry Rosenberg had several small fountains built in the city of Galveston before he died. There were at one time close to a dozen of them all over town for people and "animals" to drink from. There are only a hand full still standing and I'm not sure if they are even in there original locations. There is on in the median at Broadway near Seawall and another on Ave S at Seawall.

An historical society recently re-installed one downtown on the sidewalk, not at it's original location. Apparently it had been dismantled and taken to a city warehouse and left out back, discovered later with weeds growing up around it.

Oh, yeah there is one more in front of the county courthouse, not an original location for that on either I've been told.

J.A.S.O.N., you may know were some others are?

Houston in the 21st century is NOT the place for baroque or beaux-arts styles in fountains (or architecture, for that matter).

More fountains would add a lot to the ambiance of Houston. However, they should be in a style that is complementary to the era - and location - in which they are built.

Fountains need regular maintenance and occasional major repairs. How would Houstonians feel about increasing the city budget to pay for these?

• 6 months later...

Here's a thought.

How about an Oil Derreck fountian? Like the old photos of the close proximity, towering derrecks back in the day. Sized down, of course, have 10 or so shooting water up, each at a different level. I think it would be a great ode to what Houston was/is fueled on.

Or, as cheesy as it sounds, a shuttle a few feet in the air, with water gushing down and spreading out like how they take off.

I think I'll whip out the old sketch book and fool around with the idea.

Archived