Lee Brown To Advise NOPD

Ex-Houston chief to advise NOPD

Community policing expert calls citizens' role crucial

Saturday, January 13, 2007

By Laura Maggi

Former Houston Mayor and Police Chief Lee Brown and his consulting company will shortly begin evaluating the New Orleans Police Department and developing a plan on how to improve the relationship between police and residents of crime-ridden neighborhoods.

At a news conference Friday, the day after an unprecedented anti-crime rally outside City Hall, Brown said he will begin a three-and-a-half month assessment of the NOPD immediately. Brown and NOPD Superintendent Warren Riley characterized Brown's role as a partnership with the city's chief....

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/ind....xml&coll=1

Ex-Houston chief to advise NOPD

Community policing expert calls citizens' role crucial

Saturday, January 13, 2007

By Laura Maggi

Former Houston Mayor and Police Chief Lee Brown and his consulting company will shortly begin evaluating the New Orleans Police Department and developing a plan on how to improve the relationship between police and residents of crime-ridden neighborhoods.

At a news conference Friday, the day after an unprecedented anti-crime rally outside City Hall, Brown said he will begin a three-and-a-half month assessment of the NOPD immediately. Brown and NOPD Superintendent Warren Riley characterized Brown's role as a partnership with the city's chief....

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/ind....xml&coll=1

I thought you fight crime buy taking a step forward not backwards.

I'm not really familiar with Lee Brown, other than knowing he was the mayor of Houston. Was he that bad? :unsure:

He's memorable in a bad way. Surrounded himself with too many people that are now in jail due to illegal activities while doing city business.

His group will be consulting. Not running the department. If anything, the NOPD will be at fault or get the glory.

That's how most consultants like things. Big fat paychecks and NONE of the responsibility if things go south.

According to y'all's comments that is bound to happen.

Big fat paychecks and NONE of the responsibility if things go south.

Kinda like when Brown was Mayor, huh? :D

I kid, I kid. He'll be fine. I truly do wish him all the best there. If he's able to help NOPD, perhaps both N.O. and H-Town would benefit.

Didn't Guliani take a similar job in Mexico City last year? I heard some kind of news of him taking a job as a consultant there.

Probably. The funny thing is no matter how bad you are as a public official you can always 'consult' and make big bucks. Really big bucks.

I was reading somewhere (maybe HAIF?) the average tour speaker take is around $100,000 per appearance. Rack up 10 of those a year (not hard to double that to 20 ... or even 30 ... how hard is it to do 3 public appearances per month? I mean, you even get fed, paid hotel, limo, and airfare) and you see these folks are making bank!

:ph34r:

Probably. The funny thing is no matter how bad you are as a public official you can always 'consult' and make big bucks. Really big bucks.

I was reading somewhere (maybe HAIF?) the average tour speaker take is around $100,000 per appearance.

I read in the Chronicle last week that Jon Stewart of the Daily Show takes $200,000 per appearance as a tour speaker.

Don't think it was last yr but in the last several yrs now...i think i remember a figure of 5,000,000

Talk about the blind leading the blind.

Brown has the mentality of a chair. Does any one recall when he "had to" take speach classes "after" he became mayor. There has to be film footage of his first days and weeks in office. Whenever he was done talking everyone would look around the room and scratch thier heads?

Made Al Gore seem like a pro!

Just like the Peanut's said when Lucy announced Charlie Brown would lead the Xmas play.

"Now were really doomed" then Snoopy barf's up. Classic!

Archived