Villa De Matel Convent At 6510 Lawndale St.

Most people that live in this area should know where the convent/retirement home is Lawndale/Wayside/Sunnyland. The area on the side and back are still being used as a firing range for the local thugs. People either stop and get out of their cars and or just drive by shooting in the air (usually towards the bellfry tower and towards Wayside traffic). This happens pretty frequent usually late at night but even in the evenings. We have mentioned to the staff on 2 occasions and they say they will look into it. Nothing ever happens. I am sure they can't control what happens outside, but they can at least have signs hung or posted along the streets to deter this insane practice. They certainly have the voice and $ to do so. Some folks may be unaware but there are several cottages in the wooded area where retired sisters live. My neighbor told me he once saw several men carrying several rifles in the wooded area? What's the deal there? I wonder if many homes in Idylwood have bullet holes in their roofs? If not they should.

Take a drive down Sunnyland street and you will not see 1 sign that states to 1. Not littering 2. No speeding 3. No trespassing 5. No firing in to this area. Nada. Nothing.

We have seen everything from dope deals, prostitution, dumping (dead animals) & furniture to the shootings. The gunfire ranges from shotguns to what sounds like AK-47's. If anyone can offer a tip, please. We have had a local newstation do a story years ago, to no avail. City won't bother because the convent won't intervene. We are at wits end.

On any given day you can pick up empty shells & bullets.

• Like 1

Most people that live in this area should know where the convent/retirement home is Lawndale/Wayside/Sunnyland. The area on the side and back are still being used as a firing range for the local thugs. People either stop and get out of their cars and or just drive by shooting in the air (usually towards the bellfry tower and towards Wayside traffic). This happens pretty frequent usually late at night but even in the evenings. We have mentioned to the staff on 2 occasions and they say they will look into it. Nothing ever happens. I am sure they can't control what happens outside, but they can at least have signs hung or posted along the streets to deter this insane practice. They certainly have the voice and $ to do so. Some folks may be unaware but there are several cottages in the wooded area where retired sisters live. My neighbor told me he once saw several men carrying several rifles in the wooded area? What's the deal there? I wonder if many homes in Idylwood have bullet holes in their roofs? If not they should.

Take a drive down Sunnyland street and you will not see 1 sign that states to 1. Not littering 2. No speeding 3. No trespassing 5. No firing in to this area. Nada. Nothing.

We have seen everything from dope deals, prostitution, dumping (dead animals) & furniture to the shootings. The gunfire ranges from shotguns to what sounds like AK-47's. If anyone can offer a tip, please. We have had a local newstation do a story years ago, to no avail. City won't bother because the convent won't intervene. We are at wits end.

On any given day you can pick up empty shells & bullets.

I don't think posting signs is going to stop this activity. I second musicman's suggestion.

I don't think posting signs is going to stop this activity. I second musicman's suggestion.

Thanks everyone,

Will do. Ironically, there is a Super-Neighborhood meeting this afternoon at the convent, but people tend to block you out because you "rock the boat". Little do they know I am trying to save lives and help them. Retired people should not have to live in fear especially the ones that have devoted most if not all over thier lives for others. Take a cruise around there in the evening and see how dimly lit the side entrance gate area is. I advised they should merely replace the light bulb (how much does that cost) to at least brighten it up and to cut down that useless hedge. This hedge only encourages the gansters on Lawson to gain entrance after an unsuspecting car enters. The security guy appears to be in his 80's how fast can he react? Ok, I'm done....Tks

Thanks everyone,

Will do. Ironically, there is a Super-Neighborhood meeting this afternoon at the convent, but people tend to block you out because you "rock the boat". Little do they know I am trying to save lives and help them. Retired people should not have to live in fear especially the ones that have devoted most if not all over thier lives for others. Take a cruise around there in the evening and see how dimly lit the side entrance gate area is. I advised they should merely replace the light bulb (how much does that cost) to at least brighten it up and to cut down that useless hedge. This hedge only encourages the gansters on Lawson to gain entrance after an unsuspecting car enters. The security guy appears to be in his 80's how fast can he react? Ok, I'm done....Tks

So, having seen the area rise and fall, do you see it as better now than a few years back? I've only been over East 5 years and I have heard the bottom was early 90s.

So, having seen the area rise and fall, do you see it as better now than a few years back? I've only been over East 5 years and I have heard the bottom was early 90s.

It's a curious little changling of a neighborhood. One day you can be 1 block from a horrible street of hoods, they get locked up, parents move, gets quiet for a while then new crop comes in. Could this be the symptoms of house/apt rentals? I imagine so what else? To think there ever was a bottom could be very a real false sense of security. My realtor whom I probably should not mention was fully aware of current standards of living, but they figure if your getting the house cheap why complain. I am just glad that the hoods around me "think" I'm part of law enforcement so they stay away. Har, har on them.

Just to sum up, Idylwood, Country Club Place and the area across from Forest Park/Lawndale cemetary are probably the last of the real Die-Hards holding thier ground and I applaud them. Do not shy away from these hooligans like the Sunnyland area did otherwise they never would have settled in. There were many elderly retirees when I moved here (Broadmoor) area in late 69 as a kid. Little by little they went to retirement homes or passed away. Most of their older sons & daughters were in other states so they just came for the funerals and either sold the houses very cheaply or rented out to the 1st nominee that inquired. There in lied the problem and was the root of all evil for our areas. Urban sprawl and the mass exodus to the burbs only attributed. To this day I have brothers telling to to just "get out and let it eat itself". Come to Spring or Kingwood; but I hate that plastic, fake desperate housewives kind of environment. The poeple are as phony as can be. There is no ambiance like we have here near the places like The Museum District. We are so close to our jobs and no long commutes like them. I could go on. I love the proximity of just going a few miles to Clear Lake or any beach. So to answer your question its just a flip of the coin. I still say if there was better recreation around to let these people let off steam it would help so much. Positive role models are so important but take a look at the adults and they haven't grown up themselves. Why should their off-spring? Same vicious cycle. Hard being positive with such negativity around you. Need more voices. Example: About a month ago there was a shooting at Ingrando Park (near DeeDee HS) the news people had the camera pan around the room at the town hall meeting and there were about 3 people sitting there. That's a message loud and clear. They don't care. Ok, I'm tired. sorry if I strayed but you get the idea.

Just to sum up, Idylwood, Country Club Place and the area across from Forest Park/Lawndale cemetary are probably the last of the real Die-Hards holding thier ground and I applaud them. Do not shy away from these hooligans like the Sunnyland area did otherwise they never would have settled in. There were many elderly retirees when I moved here (Broadmoor) area in late 69 as a kid. Little by little they went to retirement homes or passed away. Most of their older sons & daughters were in other states so they just came for the funerals and either sold the houses very cheaply or rented out to the 1st nominee that inquired. There in lied the problem and was the root of all evil for our areas. Urban sprawl and the mass exodus to the burbs only attributed. To this day I have brothers telling to to just "get out and let it eat itself". Come to Spring or Kingwood; but I hate that plastic, fake desperate housewives kind of environment. The poeple are as phony as can be. There is no ambiance like we have here near the places like The Museum District. We are so close to our jobs and no long commutes like them. I could go on. I love the proximity of just going a few miles to Clear Lake or any beach. So to answer your question its just a flip of the coin. I still say if there was better recreation around to let these people let off steam it would help so much. Positive role models are so important but take a look at the adults and they haven't grown up themselves. Why should their off-spring? Same vicious cycle. Hard being positive with such negativity around you. Need more voices. Example: About a month ago there was a shooting at Ingrando Park (near DeeDee HS) the news people had the camera pan around the room at the town hall meeting and there were about 3 people sitting there. That's a message loud and clear. They don't care. Ok, I'm tired. sorry if I strayed but you get the idea.

I understand your frustration. The East side is not the only area of town having problems. Many of the older areas that don't have mandatory civic club dues are in the same boat. If there were a steady flow of funds, many neighborhoods could resolve the problem themselves. But then attempting to update bylaws/ deed restricitons to make dues mandatory creates too much animosity as Idylwood found out recently.

I've been involved in civic clubs since the 80's. I've found out that volunteers come in cycles. Right now, many civic clubs are having problems recruiting new members and particularly those who are willing to volunteer. When I was younger, my parents/schools stressed volunteering. Now when you ask people, they have to do something else, have to babysit, etc. They won't come to meetings unless they can get something. That's how it will probably always be. You ask them whether they have paid their dues and they say no with no guilt whatsoever. It's all about getting something free with no work. I remember when we renewed our deed restrictions, that was the one time where we actually got many homeowners to participate because we stressed that without restrictions it would become a free for all.

I will say that many people say is a "free" country and they can do anything they want on their property. As New Years just past, i'll bet many heard fireworks, people shooting guns, etc but it is against the law. The police go talk to them and they feel as if they are being harassed.

In many ways, the City and its various departments have let us down because many "basic" things are just not getting done. Instead, they are concentrating on building multimillion dollars parks, etc. I could go on but now you've resurrected my frustration.

I can say that Broadmoor is changing or at least my street!!! I don't take any crap from any of my neighbors on the street and they know it. It's a pretty quiet place to live now all things considered. At one time I had a problem with a Semi Truck parked across from my house but after complaining to the City/Police it got towed twice and I have not seen it since. Funny thing is the guy brought it back after the second tow and fired it up at 7am on Saturday morning and was letting his little boy toot the horn, of course this must have awoken quite a few neighbors and myself so I went out there and my neighbors came out and I let him have a piece of my mind. No problems since and actually since then we have been pretty civil with each other and respect each other.

We have had other little problems but each one gets solved, it's amazing how people will react if they know your going to call them on it. I have no problem calling the Constables for loud late night parties or what not and when they show up that house becomes a not so fun place to party late into the night and they move else ware where they can get away with it.

Scharpe St Guy

I can say that Broadmoor is changing or at least my street!!! I don't take any crap from any of my neighbors on the street and they know it. It's a pretty quiet place to live now all things considered. At one time I had a problem with a Semi Truck parked across from my house but after complaining to the City/Police it got towed twice and I have not seen it since. Funny thing is the guy brought it back after the second tow and fired it up at 7am on Saturday morning and was letting his little boy toot the horn, of course this must have awoken quite a few neighbors and myself so I went out there and my neighbors came out and I let him have a piece of my mind. No problems since and actually since then we have been pretty civil with each other and respect each other.

We have had other little problems but each one gets solved, it's amazing how people will react if they know your going to call them on it. I have no problem calling the Constables for loud late night parties or what not and when they show up that house becomes a not so fun place to party late into the night and they move else ware where they can get away with it.

Scharpe St Guy

You have my vote! I nominate you as our president! Thats what I'm talking about!

My mom is still over on Munger and her next door neighbor runs their house like a welding shop and late into the night too. They use a very loud and shacky machine of some kind that also releases terrible gases that smell like the refineries in Pasadena.One day I went to check on my mom and her whole west side of the house reeked with this pousonous odor. Must have been carbon monoxide! She is elderly takes naps and could have easily left us forever because of these morons! We told them that it is against the law to use something so dangerous, they were pissed at 1st but eventually gave in. They still occasionally use it again with the garage door closed and think we don't hear it. I have a feeling one day that garage is going to blow! and take out half our block. I know there is a number to call to report Rat on a Rat, etc. and I have called plenty of time of issues on my side. I tel ya if its not next door its across the street or behind you. The apts across the street always barbecue on the old dried out balcony and toss beer bottles down to the concrete, the home behind turned the garage into a house (no permit I'm sure) then everyone has to have about 6-7 dogs attracting rats/possums at night so they bark all night at the rodents. But yes your our next president!!!

You have my vote! I nominate you as our president! Thats what I'm talking about!

My mom is still over on Munger and her next door neighbor runs their house like a welding shop and late into the night too. They use a very loud and shacky machine of some kind that also releases terrible gases that smell like the refineries in Pasadena.One day I went to check on my mom and her whole west side of the house reeked with this pousonous odor. Must have been carbon monoxide! She is elderly takes naps and could have easily left us forever because of these morons! We told them that it is against the law to use something so dangerous, they were pissed at 1st but eventually gave in. They still occasionally use it again with the garage door closed and think we don't hear it. I have a feeling one day that garage is going to blow! and take out half our block. I know there is a number to call to report Rat on a Rat, etc. and I have called plenty of time of issues on my side. I tel ya if its not next door its across the street or behind you. The apts across the street always barbecue on the old dried out balcony and toss beer bottles down to the concrete, the home behind turned the garage into a house (no permit I'm sure) then everyone has to have about 6-7 dogs attracting rats/possums at night so they bark all night at the rodents. But yes your our next president!!!

The activities you describe are what has brought down the East End, and the activities that Sharpe St. describes to counter the other activities are what will bring up the East End. You are finally witnessing the beginnings of that change.

Neighborhoods are just human ecosystems. There are decomposers and there are those organisms that try to stop the decomposition and turn the manure into growth and beauty. Look for the small seedlings sprouting here and there. Pick up a hoe (no, not that kind :rolleyes: ) and become a gardener.

The activities you describe are what has brought down the East End, and the activities that Sharpe St. describes to counter the other activities are what will bring up the East End. You are finally witnessing the beginnings of that change.

Neighborhoods are just human ecosystems. There are decomposers and there are those organisms that try to stop the decomposition and turn the manure into growth and beauty. Look for the small seedlings sprouting here and there. Pick up a hoe (no, not that kind :rolleyes: ) and become a gardener.

I concur,

I'm sure most of these responses are mean't in a kind way. Email can come across as direct without grace if one perceives as such. I personally try my best to put some soul in in it. There are too many originated subjects to mention but I have been on both sides of the coin so to speak. I have and am presently in numerous community, corporate/professional & neigborhood causes too long to get in detail. I like to give examples to others to get feedback or so that others can "relate". It sparks interest and gives one that feeling of "talking over the fence" to their neighbor not just gossip. Maybe I do need to pick up a hoe after all Telephone Road is knocking at my doorstep. Speaking of garden hoes did they ever do away with that soliciting at the old K-Mart parking lot by the Josephine Motel? I heard its quite reasonable. Could become an overnight star on "Cops" if you check it out! It would be outrageous if I talked a local TV crew to film the next "Night Out" there! We could have Paris Hilton or Heidi Fleice do a cameo!

Edited by rnsdr

• 2 months later...

Following posts originally in this thread:

It amazes me how many hidden architectural jewels there are around town (for ex. the chapel at Villa de Matel and the campus of St. Mary's Seminary).

We live directly across the street from Villa de Matel convent and it is definitetly one of the most unnoticed jewels of this city. We used to have our Super Neighborhood meetings there on a regular basis. The sisters allow you to tour the basilica which is rare in itself. It has the interior of the cathedrals you would see in Rome or France no kidding. The seating is facing inward instead of forward like most traditional Catholic churches. Its really pleasant to hear the bells toll on time. Other times it plays songs like Ave' Maria. Once I took about 15 bouquets of roses and left for the visitors at spring time. The mother superior told us that Kroger's and other developers have tried again and again to buy them out and they stand defiant. Take it elsewhere. Amen (choir in background)

Edited by dbigtex56

• 2 months later...

7094180.jpgBernadette_Cover.png

I went to a recent Super neighborhood meeting at the convent the other day and finally had a good look at the recent addition. What the convent did was have a grotto built to resemble the one at Massabielle in Lourdes, France. It seems there are prayer meetings held in front of the site. I plan to go back and hopefully take photos. I have never seen this religious scene portrayed in any Roman Catholic church or cathedral in Houston. As the caption read "For those that believe no explanation is necessary, for those who dont believe no explanation will suffice"

By the way if you have never seen the 1943 film get it! Jennifer Jones won for best actress. Well deserved. I see it over and over again.

See link for further detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Lourdes

and the film link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036377/

Edited by Vertigo58

Is this about the convent or movies?

This note/comment is about the convent's new addition of the scene where the miracle occurred in Lourdes. I only placed the film in here because it surprises me to know how many younger and older folks have no idea there was a film to explain the miracle. I imagine that maybe those whom are not Catholic know nothing of this event. I thought if I did not add that there was a film of this event no one would even know it ever happened. I mean we are talking something that happened in the 1800's.

So the additonal note is to alert any one interested that Villa De Matel has added a shrine of sorts to the grounds. You will see as soon as the enter the drive and its on the right hand side. Can't miss it its a huge man made hill with minimal seating and an alter of the Virgin with candles, etc. Anyone interested in visiting can call the convent for arrangements. Peace! :)

• 1 year later...

When I was a kid about 5 years old, I recall my mother picking up a Catholic sister in downtown Houston in the pouring rain and taking her to a convent in South Houston. This would have been circa 1958. The convent was two or more stories and had a really old (I think) cage-type elevator inside. In recent years, I've wondered where that was. Some have suggested Villa de Matel.

I also recall this convent of my distant memory had a fairly new and modern girls school on the grounds for the time. In recent years I've have driven around exploring to try to identify it. I'm fairly certain now it must have been the Dominican convent. What had me fooled for so many years was the length of the drive from downtown to the convent. In the rain it seemed we drove forever to some place way south of Houston.

By the way, did Houston ever have an Ursuline convent? I know Galveston certainly did and even Bryan, TX for a brief time after the Great 1900 Storm. Dallas, San Antonio, and even Laredo have or had Ursulines.

When I was a kid about 5 years old, I recall my mother picking up a Catholic sister in downtown Houston in the pouring rain and taking her to a convent in South Houston. This would have been circa 1958. The convent was two or more stories and had a really old (I think) cage-type elevator inside. In recent years, I've wondered where that was. Some have suggested Villa de Matel.

I also recall this convent of my distant memory had a fairly new and modern girls school on the grounds for the time. In recent years I've have driven around exploring to try to identify it. I'm fairly certain now it must have been the Dominican convent. What had me fooled for so many years was the length of the drive from downtown to the convent. In the rain it seemed we drove forever to some place way south of Houston.

By the way, did Houston ever have an Ursuline convent? I know Galveston certainly did and even Bryan, TX for a brief time after the Great 1900 Storm. Dallas, San Antonio, and even Laredo have or had Ursulines.

The convent (Villa de Matel) has had some very nice upgrades in the last few months. The very thickly wooded area out back has been cleared in various spots for expansion of the walking path. Nice benches have been added and much, much needed lighting! There has been numerous azaleas, pince trees and magnolias added to further enhance the area. It is so pleasant to see the retired sisters casually strolling along and just enjoying the views. Bird watchers should take note and come see the numerous varieties of birds that flock to these grounds. The distant sound of the bells in the tower are always a welcome to us locals nearby. I urge everyone to see this place. Once inside you are taken away to another world. :)

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Villa De Matel Convent Church At 6510 Lawndale St.
  • The title was changed to Villa De Matel Convent At 6510 Lawndale St.
  • 6 months later...