Check out a couple of Houston aerials

pwright1

Courtesy of Airborne Imaging

dsc_4125.jpg

Just blows me away how the Reliant Stadium dwarfs the Astrodome. I remember the opening of the Dome and thought it was the biggest thing I had ever seen, it just seemed so huge back then. It's so easy to remember because I was skipping school with my three cousins and my Grandfather, it was my 13th birthday on a Friday, and we drove to Houston to watch the Astros play the Yankees. I will never forget that as long as I live.

Just blows me away how the Reliant Stadium dwarfs the Astrodome. I remember the opening of the Dome and thought it was the biggest thing I had ever seen, it just seemed so huge back then. It's so easy to remember because I was skipping school with my three cousins and my Grandfather, it was my 13th birthday on a Friday, and we drove to Houston to watch the Astros play the Yankees. I will never forget that as long as I live.

I remember the Texans first game against the cowboys. We were walking up the ramps and just stopped in our tracks when we looked over and noticed we were looking down at the roof of the dome. It was an amazing thing to see the first time. It is still the coolest view from the nosebleed terraces.

Courtesy of Airborne Imaging

dsc_4143.jpg

It is amazing to me how much potential there is for more mid and high rises in the DT loop. I do hope the Houston 2025 Vision comes close to the ideas proposed for DT. If it comes to fruition, much of those empty parking spaces and old warehouses will be replaced.

Speaking of shots of DT......... what is everyone's favorite angle? Personally, i like the view where I-10 and I-45 converge, although it sort of obscures the old Enron buildings (Does Reliant Energy use them now?)

:)

It is amazing to me how much potential there is for more mid and high rises in the DT loop. I do hope the Houston 2025 Vision comes close to the ideas proposed for DT. If it comes to fruition, much of those empty parking spaces and old warehouses will be replaced.

Speaking of shots of DT......... what is everyone's favorite angle? Personally, i like the view where I-10 and I-45 converge, although it sort of obscures the old Enron buildings (Does Reliant Energy use them now?)

:)

Unless land prices ease off a bit, the 2025 vision has no chance of coming to fruition. We'd need twice that amount of time, and there's just no way around that, really.

Chevron uses the old Enron buildings.

Edited by TheNiche

Hey Niche,

Where do you think the most highrise concentration is going to be in the next 20 years if not DT?

Also, doesn't Houston have a habit of building and THEN worrying about tenants?! :rolleyes:

A handful of new highrises are built throughout our metropolitan area in any given year, but downtown only seems to have about one or two per every couple years. Recently, the TMC has been getting the most, followed by the Galleria area. Many others get built in the greater Montrose, River Oaks, or Hermann Park areas. I don't see that pattern slowing down anytime soon. ...and of course, a fair number of our office mid- and highrises (and recently condominium highrises) go suburban.

Nobody builds without worrying about tenants/buyers. That's just assinine.

Edited by TheNiche

^^^ Hey, i was just kidding about the "worrying" part. I know developers and investors think, plan and all that very carefully before actually building a large scale project.

It will be interesting to see, say in the next 20-30 years, if the inner loop along with UT and MT have so many high and mid rises, that when one approaches Houston, it will appear that we have a MASSIVE urban center. Only time will tell.

m.

Edited by marc

^^^ Hey, i was just kidding about the "worrying" part. I know developers and investors think, plan and all that very carefully before actually building a large scale project.

It will be interesting to see, say in the next 20-30 years, if the inner loop along with UT and MT have so many high and mid rises, that when one approaches Houston, it will appear that we have a MASSIVE urban center. Only time will tell.

m.

I anticipate a couple of wide corridors, roughly between Downtown and Uptown and between Downtown and the TMC. Not much in the way of highrises in West U./Bellaire or north of Buffalo Bayou.

• 3 weeks later...