Rice BioScience Research Collaborative At 6500 South Main St.

KinkaidAlum

Did they make the building taller than planned? From Main Street, it definitely seems like the facility has 12 floors and not 10.

The top two aren't really floors, they're just walls built around the utilities. You can see them in the renderings as well.

I was just looking over it today from the Scurlock Tower across the street. It's looking a bit better than I expected.

• Like 1

The top two aren't really floors, they're just walls built around the utilities. You can see them in the renderings as well.

I was just looking over it today from the Scurlock Tower across the street. It's looking a bit better than I expected.

Ah, good to know. From the sidewalk, they totally looked like regular floors.

My next question for you med center folks, what is that yellow looking thing that looks like a silo behind the Pickens Faculty Tower/Rotary House? I can see it from my new rental pad.

• Like 1

Yeah I think it looks pretty good. I'm going to be spending a lot of time there in the future now that I'm in the bioengineering department at Rice (applied physics program, bioengineering department).

The whole department is moving from their current headquarters in Keck Hall into this building some time this summer. My lab is actually at TCH across the street though, but I know I'll end up spending time there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Rice BioScience Research Collaborative
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, Highrise Tower said:

BRC is getting a parking garage! Wonder if it's being built on the surface lot, or the vacant land. Will it have a skybridge connecting to BRC?

ICMak5T.png

1xsm1Fc.png

They already have a parking garage underneath the building. This may just some work on/addition to that space.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Rice BioScience Research Collaborative At 6500 South Main St.
  • 1 year later...

The new BioTech Launch Pad is based here.

https://biotechlaunchpad.rice.edu/

https://news.rice.edu/news/2023/rice-biotech-launch-pad-accelerator-aims-rapidly-turn-medical-and-health-discoveries

https://houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/technology/2023/09/12/462166/newly-introduced-houston-based-accelerator-will-expedite-medical-discoveries-into-cures-experts-say/

"Rice University is introducing a Houston-based biotech accelerator to turn medical discoveries into a business plan for manufacturing and testing for safety.

William McKeon is the President of the Texas Medical Center. He said throughout his career, he's seen research from scientists without the infrastructure to support them.

"There's so many more ideas here if people knew they had the infrastructure," he said. "And what's sad is most of the great intellectual ideas die in the intellectual offices of universities throughout this country."

• Like 1