Who here is ready for Windows Vista?

I bought a new hp DV series laptop...They want $9 for "shipping and handling." They then ADDED an ADDITIONAL $9 for another disc that contains "dvd upgrade sfotware for my burner." Come on hp!

I stopped buying HP when my 30 GB hard drive turned out to only have 20 GB free because HP put a hidden partition on there that had the Windows restore utility plus a ton of their crapware on it.

I didn't have that problem with my current HP.

Granted: I formatted my HD 3 times the moment I plugged it in and installed XP Pro. :)

Runs like a champ.

On a related note:

turns out they discovered some security flaws in both I.E. as well as Alta Vista. Like I said, I'm waiting until the first Service pack before I get it.

Then again, I might wait for the 2nd one.

A buddy of mine just loaded Vista. He was telling me how many things didn't work ... in fact, I was surprised at how many problems there were. I'm going to wait until at least some of these probs get worked out before I "upgrade" (guess that's what we can call it). :wacko: I plan on getting a new laptop next year anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
I stopped buying HP when my 30 GB hard drive turned out to only have 20 GB free because HP put a hidden partition on there that had the Windows restore utility plus a ton of their crapware on it.

I'm going to install a 200gig sata harddrive so i'm the least worried. Gateway did that, sony too. I got Partition manager and merge the two after i deleted the manufactor junk.

A buddy of mine just loaded Vista. He was telling me how many things didn't work ... in fact, I was surprised at how many problems there were. I'm going to wait until at least some of these probs get worked out before I "upgrade" (guess that's what we can call it). :wacko: I plan on getting a new laptop next year anyhow.

I loaded vista when it first came out(beta trial)...No issues aside that a few non critcal drivers don't work. I loaded a few 3d graphic games and everything works fine. I use it daily.

I'm going to install a 200gig sata harddrive so i'm the least worried. Gateway did that, sony too. I got Partition manager and merge the two after i deleted the manufactor junk.

I loaded vista when it first came out(beta trial)...No issues aside that a few non critcal drivers don't work. I loaded a few 3d graphic games and everything works fine. I use it daily.

Is it functionally better? Do you find it a significant improvement over Windows XP? I understand Microsoft has revamped the Office suite. Do you have the new Excel, Word, etc?

Is it functionally better? Do you find it a significant improvement over Windows XP? I understand Microsoft has revamped the Office suite. Do you have the new Excel, Word, etc?

I dont know if it is significantly better than XP - there are alot of background changes that suppsedly make things better (memory management, security, etc)....I have been using it since early beta testing - it definately has a different interface, things are not in the same place they are in XP - you have to hunt for things a bit until you get used to them...but it seems to work fine. You need a more powerful system to get all the bells and whistles - especially the graphics - which to me dont add anything in your daily work...there are many hardware drivers not yet Vista compatible, they are supposed to come out by Jan 31 when Vista becomes available to the public - Most basic things work okay, but more drivers are definately needed. Most programs seem to run okay - but you have to run beta versions of some at this point....

The new Office also has quite a different interface - they are calling it a ribbon - it changes based on what you are doing at the time....it is very different, and sometimes it is hard to find what you need - Im not sure I would call it better or worse, just very different....

WTF does RAID have to do with the operating system? The controller should make the fact that its a RAID array completely transparent to the OS

Not necessarily. Some operating systems are able to recognize the presence of a bunch of disks and create their own RAID array without hardware.

But I don't think that's what he's talking about.

• 3 weeks later...
Who here is ready for Windows Vista?

I wanted to by laptop, but then forgot that the new Windows Vista was coming out and that I should wait until the end of January. This is the kind of stuff that really makes me mad. I want a laptop now, but I feel that if I do that now I will be sorry, because in a few months newer better laptops will be here with Windows Vista. Mabe the laptops that are in stores now will go down in price and hopefully they are Vista compatable.

800px-Windows_Vista_Desktop.png

My employer will be going to Vista by the end of the year. It will definitely be a learning curve for our users and a headache for myself and colleagues to support.

I doubt the company I work for will go Vista any time soon. They only just bought all new XP boxes a year and a half ago because lots of "mission critical" software MUST work. It will probably be 2010 before they decide on Vista.

Interestingly, they're in the process of replacing some of the old 1980's and 1990's minicomputers with new hardware. For whatever reason they've gone Apple with it. So far about ten XServes and a few XServe RAID units. Very pretty.

They'll never go all-Apple, though, because we do most of our work on a custom piece of software that's written for Windows.

I read a survey result that most companies weren't considering changing to Office 2007 for about three years. It seems that there is no real improvement in functionality, mainly just a redesigned user interface that will take most users a lot of time to learn. In other words, change for the sake of change. Typical Microsoft. <_< What is the point in changing user interfaces that millions of people around the world are used to? To me it has no more logic than would arbitrarily rearranging the standard keyboard layout. Sure it's not perfect, but is it worth it having to relearn everything?

I read a survey result that most companies weren't considering changing to Office 2007 for about three years. It seems that there is no real improvement in functionality, mainly just a redesigned user interface that will take most users a lot of time to learn. In other words, change for the sake of change. Typical Microsoft. <_< What is the point in changing user interfaces that millions of people around the world are used to? To me it has no more logic than would arbitrarily rearranging the standard keyboard layout. Sure it's not perfect, but is it worth it having to relearn everything?

I have already moved a couple gof my groups to Office 2007 - because Excel now lets you have gigantic spreadsheets - that one feature had my guys screaming to get it....they are having some growing pains with the new interface, but overall they seem to like it...

I'm an HTPC nut, and after seeing all of this SideShow business, I am totally sold. This is something myself and other HTPC enthusiasts have been waiting for and hoping for. EPG, email, etc on the remote!!! Greater functionality with the Zune. I could imagine all kinds of clock radios, kitchen appliances, lighting controls, etc that use this technology.

On the work front, it seems every other company in our building is talking of or are in the transition to Vista, while we're about to Mac. Its not that big of a deal for a mortgage company I guess, but I was hoping to get a little playtime before I upgrade at home.

Archived