Who here is ready for Windows Vista?

I wanted to by laptop, but then forgot that the new Windows Vista was coming out and that I should wait until the end of January. This is the kind of stuff that really makes me mad. I want a laptop now, but I feel that if I do that now I will be sorry, because in a few months newer better laptops will be here with Windows Vista. Mabe the laptops that are in stores now will go down in price and hopefully they are Vista compatable.

800px-Windows_Vista_Desktop.png

A lot of laptops and pc's come with the option to purchase an upgrade for under 50 dollars when it is available.

i have been testing the builds and the latest one is really slick and alot faster than the original builds. i like it!

especially the ultimate edition, it comes with MCE. perfect for my HTPC

I wanted to by laptop, but then forgot that the new Windows Vista was coming out and that I should wait until the end of January. This is the kind of stuff that really makes me mad. I want a laptop now, but I feel that if I do that now I will be sorry, because in a few months newer better laptops will be here with Windows Vista. Mabe the laptops that are in stores now will go down in price and hopefully they are Vista compatable.

800px-Windows_Vista_Desktop.png

I am curious about the new OS, and I'm also holding off on buying a new laptop until February. I am curious what have Vista on a laptop/PC already installed will do to the price of the new hardware.

I'd wait until after I learned more about Vista before I considered upgrading my current PCs though. If there's little difference, there's no point in changing Windows XP. My advice to you CityKid is to hold off on buying a new laptop until you research a little more on Vista and know exactly what it entails, then after that, decide what U wanna do...

A lot of laptops and pc's come with the option to purchase an upgrade for under 50 dollars when it is available.

i have been testing the builds and the latest one is really slick and alot faster than the original builds. i like it!

especially the ultimate edition, it comes with MCE. perfect for my HTPC

That and you can also see that is has the logo for "Vista Ready", reminds me of the "HD Ready" icon used a few years back. It has an improved version of Windows Movie Maker at least for film newbies, that is how I got my start before finally upgrading to Adobe Premiere. ^_^

I'm certainly not a Windows guy but I follow enough tech news to say be careful in upgrading to Vista. Unless you're getting a new machine with it, you could find your computer working very slowly. What I've read about Vista is that it will be a memory hog even compared to XP. Prettiness comes with a price.

It depends on what version of Vista you get. THe ultimate includes the glass effect which requires alot of vid memory. My test box is a 3.0 ghz with 1gb of ram and 128 ram intel video and it is able to run everything ok.

Yeah, I think they are saying 128 vram/1gb ram are minimum requirements for the full deal.

I've read that some of the systems on the market now with the Vista-Ready badge only meet the bare minimums, meaning you won't get the fancy new graphics. From what I've read it's better to wait until Spring if you're going to get a new computer for Vista because by then they will be caught up to it.

Remember when Windows 95 came out? It would "run" on your old 3.11 box, but only barely. That was when everyone bought new computers en masse and companies like Dell and Gateway flourished. I think it's the same thing this time, except I don't expect any of the hardware companies to flourish like before.

Microsoft has been promising Vista for a loooong time. It will take some hardware adjustments for millions of people. Reviews I've read are 50/50 on it. It doesn't affect me much since I probably won't use it until 2011 when it is installed on my office machine.

You really need 2gb of Ram

I have Core 2 Duo, 2gb or Ram and 500GB HD and I don't even plan to touch Vista until I get a new machine.

Oh horse boogers. That should run it just fine unless the graphics subsystem is a total pile.

I have a ThinkPad T42p with a Pentium M, 2GB of RAM, a 7200 rpm disk, and a waffle stomper of a graphics chipset....I have no fear of loading it onto this machine, even though the processor is a bit old.

I'm getting Vista first thing, and I will get the service pack ASAP.

See, I have to get a laptop for university as well as replace the computer in my sister's room.

I don't see a connection between the two. Why not get a laptop with tried and tested XP on it? The same computer should run XP faster than Vista. What does replacing a computer in your sisters room have to do with choosing Vista over XP (or any of the other alternatives)? And I'm not sure what you man by getting the service pack "ASAP" -- you'll get it in six months or so when everyone else does.

Another thing I just noticed about the screenshot above -- The clock is all fuzzy. Or at least the part of it behind the window bezel. What's the point of having a nice analog clock if you can't read it? It should float over the other windows all the time.

I don't see a connection between the two. Why not get a laptop with tried and tested XP on it? The same computer should run XP faster than Vista. What does replacing a computer in your sisters room have to do with choosing Vista over XP (or any of the other alternatives)? And I'm not sure what you man by getting the service pack "ASAP" -- you'll get it in six months or so when everyone else does.

Another thing I just noticed about the screenshot above -- The clock is all fuzzy. Or at least the part of it behind the window bezel. What's the point of having a nice analog clock if you can't read it? It should float over the other windows all the time.

1. I meant that I will get the service pack when it is available.

You have the option of 'floating' them, or 'docking' them. When the gadgets (clock, etc) are docked, the stay on top of all windows.

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing I would do is figure out how to turn those translucent windows off. Those things bug the hell out of me. I'd also try to figure out a way where I don't have to have a picture of a puppy in the corner of every window. The GUI was refined as far as it could go about ten years ago.

Archived