FM 1960 At Kuykendahl Rd. Construction?

has anyone heard any more updates about the scheduled construction for fm 1960 @ kuykendahl? they broke some ground, moved a few light poles, but nothing.

i think the general plan was/is to build an under-pass on 1960 beneath kuykendahl.

The contract was awarded in October, so work should ramp up to full speed soon.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgcha...ab/10053203.htm

I checked the plans, and my recollection is that Kuykendahl will go underneath FM 1960.

i have a feeling this is gonna make traveling down 1960 --mornings or evenings-- a nightmare.

Construction zones are ALWAYS a traffic nightmare.

But you generally wake up to a great improvement when they're over with.

• 4 months later...

Looks like they are finally getting started:

TxDOT launches Kuykendahl underpass project

Officials have future plans to ease 1960 traffic

By KIM JACKSON

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

With a long-awaited underpass project about to get under way at the intersection of Kuykendahl Road and FM 1960, state transportation planners are eyeing a project to improve traffic flow and safety conditions on FM 1960 between Interstate 45 and Texas 249.

Full article here: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/ald...ws/4703921.html

An underpass? There? That seems weird.

Why Wierd? I would rather an underpass than an over pass for asethetic reasons. I used to live off FM 529 and HWY 6 and they are planning an overpass for that intersection, and I think Clay Rd and/or W Little York. I was mad when I found out because that genral Copperfield area is a nice drive I believe. I have always liked the under passes on the old roads like OST and Griggs, but the bad thing is flooding issues which happen once in a while.

Why Wierd? I would rather an underpass than an over pass for asethetic reasons. I used to live off FM 529 and HWY 6 and they are planning an overpass for that intersection, and I think Clay Rd and/or W Little York. I was mad when I found out because that genral Copperfield area is a nice drive I believe. I have always liked the under passes on the old roads like OST and Griggs, but the bad thing is flooding issues which happen once in a while.

It's not weird in the fact that they're building an underpass as opposed to an overpass. I'm just surprised that that intersection is having traffic-alleviating construction done to it at all. I guess I didn't know it was that bad. I thought there'd probably be another intersection in more need.

Go figure. Not sure who decides these things. But I would imagine in practice no weirder than the one at I45 @ 1960.

I actually believe that one is very helpful. You think it's weird, huh? You don't think it was needed?

They're finally starting construction on it? I guess that chicken sacrifice worked wonders after all!

It's been long overdue. I wouldn't be surprised if that is going to be the pattern for most of the intersections over in the long term.

I think this is a good plan and this will be one of the first of a new trend of underpass/overpass projects which we will continue to see constructed along FM 1960. Other proposals include an overpass for a railroad and also an overpass/underpass for Stuebner/Airline.

I don't think The Woodlands really planned to become as major a 'city' as it's become, and they certainly didn't plan well for the traffic.

Anytime I visit my brother that lives nearby the (Mall) vicinity I avoid it as much as possible. Accidents will increase dramatically as they didnt anticipate the quick growing population. I love the newer outdoor mall part but too much traffic is slowly decreasing the little town charm it started out with.

Getting back to the Kuykendahl deal, going under will flood. The ground is sinking build up! 1960 is a living nightmare anyway. In another 10 years it will become a freeway, just watch then they will have to mow down every stupid building around it. Its coming. :o

This is silly, ;pts pf money and construction where it's not needed. They need a ound-a-bout.

Way to hit the nail on that head with that one! A round-a-bout would be perfect! Then no one would ever drive on FM 1960 because the traffic would NEVER move! Great idea Plastic, write you congressmen!

This is silly, ;pts pf money and construction where it's not needed. They need a ound-a-bout.

Have you ever actually driven through this intersection?

I once drove through this intersection going westbound every day and there were five-to-ten-minute delays to get past Kuykendahl. Was this last week? Last month? Last year?

No, it was Nineteen-Ninety-Freakin-Five you moron!

A roundabout here would work about as well as a four-way stop.

Guest Plastic

This is why they need to make a round-about. The traffic never stops but keeps going. It would be the closest thing to a freeway. I say they should build a tollway along Cypress Creek to Steeplechase and then Addicks.

And as for The Woodlands it wasn't forgotten to build. George Mitchell never wanted it to become liek a city. He wouldn't let a building be any taller than a tree. Well he died or went out of office and now they've got the right to build like crazy. In ten years George would be like is my Woodlands still out here.

This is why they need to make a round-about. The traffic never stops but keeps going. It would be the closest thing to a freeway. I say they should build a tollway along Cypress Creek to Steeplechase and then Addicks.

And as for The Woodlands it wasn't forgotten to build. George Mitchell never wanted it to become liek a city. He wouldn't let a building be any taller than a tree. Well he died or went out of office and now they've got the right to build like crazy. In ten years George would be like is my Woodlands still out here.

Maybe I am not completely sure what you mean by a 'roundabout'? Please explain or give an example of where one currently exists.

I 'thought' George Mitchell was still alive (I thought I saw something about him in Galveston recently) ... at any rate, I agree with you. I think he never intended for The Woodlands to become what it has, but ... it has. And traffic is getting bad there.

My company's headquarters is located there and while the facility is nice, it is often nightmarish to get to in the mornings or leave in the afternoons on Research Forest Drive.

Guest Plastic

By round-a-bout I mean an intersection that's in circular form. We have af ew on them in HOuston. One is at the Mekom Fountain next to the statue of Sam Houston by Herman park. There are 2 at both entrace-exits of The Washburn Tunnel.

Okay.

I lived in DC and even there the 'circles' take a lot of getting used to and navigation mastery.

I do not believe Houstonians could do it. Luckily in DC there are ways around the circles, by taking side or cross streets. You can avoid them altogether.

But at that intersection (1960 @ Kuykendahl) there is no way around it. It would be a nightmare.

By round-a-bout I mean an intersection that's in circular form. We have af ew on them in HOuston. One is at the Mekom Fountain next to the statue of Sam Houston by Herman park. There are 2 at both entrace-exits of The Washburn Tunnel.

And, speaking as someone with experience in this area who really likes roundabouts in appropriate situations, if you think a roundabout will work at 1960 and Kuykendahl, you don't have a clue.

• 1 month later...

This road is going to become the major Prkway going North/South, including servicing the new Village. What is the time period for taking it from two lane to four lane?

Once again those neighborhoods are going to really be affected by the booming 'mini-city' occuring there.

Archived