FM 1960 At Kuykendahl Rd. Construction?

THAT part of the street is a nightmare, especially with all the new development that has been occurring over the past few years.

In fact, anyone that wants to live there now is incredibly nuts because they're going to have to deal with the traffic. And I'm not just saying that because my Ex lives by that street. :D

THAT part of the street is a nightmare, especially with all the new development that has been occurring over the past few years.

In fact, anyone that wants to live there now is incredibly nuts because they're going to have to deal with the traffic. And I'm not just saying that because my Ex lives by that street. :D

Some of us do not have a choice. It is where we live. Fortunately, I do not HAVE to go down 1960 (west) unless going to the gym (24 Hour Fitness at 1960 @ Stuebner-Airline), but it is a nightmare and getting worse. They have to do something.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have finally come to terms with this thing. For Spring (Cypresswood) residents, it makes sense. Cypresswood & Louetta take a long time to get to 45 (if you live west of Ella), going down Kuykendahl, passing under 1960 will make life easier. Once you hit 45, you're practically in Greenspoint.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if this has been updated on other threads but thought I should chime in.

In 2007 I moved into the area after I bought a foreclosure property. Shortly after I bought it the foreclosure crisis kicked in and construction began at this intersection. But since the construction completed over a year (or has it been two years) ago, it is Jan., 2011 as I write this, none of the businesses have returned and in fact many more have closed down SINCE it's been built.

The 1960 area (45 to 249) is dying and could even be considered dead at this point.

There are not enough homes with enough income to sustain middle to high income businesses along FM 1960. If an area that isn't vacant has businesses, you can be sure that they are only cell phone and check-cashing businesses or even massage parlors. There isn't a national chain around that area for miles anymore. Businesses from golf courses and grocery chains have packed up and left and found no reason to return.

Additionally, the intersection has done nothing for traffic. Traffic continues to back-up just as before and the waiting time at the light has actually increased. But traffic since 2007 along this area has actually decreased -- it may be that fewer people who live in the area commute to jobs in other parts of Houston (a bad sign for the economy of a neighborhood in Houston).

It seems like the construction for 1960 was designed by planners who wore rose-colored glasses for the development of the area and fistfuls of cash. But unfortunately, Northwest Houston has become blighted and almost exclusively the domain of low-income housing. There is very little hope that the area will revive as crime increases and properties cease to be developed and updated.

• The title was changed to FM 1960 At Kuykendahl Rd. Construction?

Archived