famous brand names that have origins in real people

houstonmacbro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cond%C3%A9_Montrose_Nast

did y'all know conde nast was a REAL person...? i was watching this show last night on the history channel on the chrysler building and they mentioned that he used to eat at this exclusive sky club (that used to be located) in the chrysler building.

i was like "huh?"

i always thought conde nast (the magazine) was just a made up name. also is that where houston's montrose neighborhood gets its name?

any other names you know about that are common to our american lexicon that actually have their origins in a REAL person.

Edited by houstonmacbro

"Houston" was someone's name, but I guess that doesn't qualify as a brand name. Seriously, many brands older than 10 years old have their roots in someone's name. Newer brands and industrial or oil brands are often made-up names, though there are many exceptions.

"Mercedes" was either Daimler's or Benz's daugter's name ( I think it was Benz, but I can't remember). Wrigley, Oldsmobile, Anheiser-Busch, Toyota, Sony, etc. are all based in people's names

BMW, Audi (Auto Union), Exxon, Compaq, Continental, etc...are not people's names...at least not people directly conected with the brands.

Eberhard Anheuser 1805-1880

Adolphus Busch 1839-1913

Jacob Beam 1770-1834

Jack Daniels 1850?-1911

George Forman Lean Mean Grilling Machine- since 1995

Edited by Marty

Baby Ruth is named for Babe Ruth? O'Henry for Aaron? Not.

Surely you're kidding. O'Henry is not named for Henry Aaron. It's named for the popular 19th century newspaper man and short story writer from Austin Texas. whose real name was William Sidney Porter.

And even the makers of Baby Ruth aren't a hundred percent sure where the name Baby Ruth comes from. There are several theories.

The official "company line" is that it was named for former President Grover Cleveland's baby girl, Ruth Cleveland, but that's open to question. Babe Ruth the baseball player hadn't yet become a superstar when the candy bar made its debut. Here's a link to the confusing story and all the theories on Snopes dot Com. http://www.snopes.com/business/names/babyruth.asp

And there's another candy bar named for John Kerry. Nut-Rageous.

Edited by FilioScotia

any other names you know about that are common to our american lexicon that actually have their origins in a REAL person.

Pontiac

Chevrolet

Buick

Chrysler

Lincoln

Gerber

Seth Thomas

Knoll

Hemann Miller

Foley

Sakowitz

Weingarten