Michael Richards flips in standup stunner, apologizes on 'Letterman'

houstonmacbro

Not sure if it's just me, but to 'go off' on someone like that means that those things are really in your heart and mind. Not sure a simple apology works to change that.

What is Richards doing to work on his racist feelings about black people?

KKK-Ramer goes on N-word rant

BY KERRY BURKE and CORKY SIEMASZKO

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Michael Richards has apologized for racist remarks at an L.A. comedy club that were caught on video.

"Seinfeld" favorite Michael Richards unleashed the Ku Klux Klan version of his Kramer character during a racist rant at a Sunset Strip comedy club - and had to apologize publicly for it last night.

"I am not a racist, that's what's so insane about this," Richards said, appearing via satellite on "The Late Show with David Letterman."

"I lost my temper onstage. I got heckled and took it badly and went into a rage," Richards said, his eyes welling with tears, his voice shaky.

Calling what he said "crap," Richards said he had no right to "flip out" like he did.

"I said some pretty nasty things to some African-Americans, a lot of trash talk," he said. "I'm really busted up over this. I'm very, very sorry."

Full article here: http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/473502p-398250c.html

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jerrly Sienfeld was on "Letterman" last night and he asked Michael Richards to come on via satellite. Very awkward. You have this usually goofy comic actor being so serious. Some of the mannerisms were Kramer-esque but they weren't intentionl. There was nervous laughter from the audience to which Sienfeld responded, "It isn't funny". Richards didn't try to justify it; I don't see how you can. He just said that he lost it and that he's sorry. It was weird.

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

"Seinfeld" favorite Michael Richards unleashed the Ku Klux Klan version of his Kramer character during a racist rant at a Sunset Strip comedy club - and had to apologize publicly for it last night.

I was just watching Seinfeld last night :rolleyes: I can actually visualize Kramer acting like that :unsure:

You know Hecklers suck no matter what race they are. I mean Michael Richards doesn't go and heckle them at their job when they are trying to pick up those garbage cans at 5:30 in the morning. Why would you go do that to him ?

The sad thing is that the hecklers were just soooooooo stupid, they expected to see "Kramer" up there on stage. Some folks just don't get real life and acting.

I'm sure he has cried, TONS, for fear of his career being OVER ! :blink:

Please.. He made these statements in the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood. He knew the worst thing that would happen to him would be getting called a racist. There wasn't one real "gangsta" in the house. Just a couple of clueless (black) people that didn't know that Michael Richard's was only funny as Kramer because of Larry David's writing & direction.

And that's something most white people didn't know either.

I don't know if anyone heard on the radio this morning. They were saying exactly what I thought when I first saw the video. Why would you pay money to see a comedian "act" and then give him a hard time? You paid to see the man and then you sit there and tell him he sucks? What sense does that make.

One of the DJs had been at the club and said he thought it was part of the act at first. He was dressed up like Kramer and it sounded like something Kramer would say. He said there were people in the back of the room snickering and the usual guy who laughs at everything because he doesn't know when it's funny.

Not sure if it's just me, but to 'go off' on someone like that means that those things are really in your heart and mind. Not sure a simple apology works to change that.

What is Richards doing to work on his racist feelings about black people?

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Michael Richards has apologized for racist remarks at an L.A. comedy club that were caught on video.

"I am not a racist, that's what's so insane about this," Richards said, appearing via satellite on "The Late Show with David Letterman."

"I lost my temper onstage. I got heckled and took it badly and went into a rage," Richards said, his eyes welling with tears, his voice shaky.

Calling what he said "crap," Richards said he had no right to "flip out" like he did.

"I said some pretty nasty things to some African-Americans, a lot of trash talk," he said. "I'm really busted up over this. I'm very, very sorry."

Full article here: http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/473502p-398250c.html

Then what? <_<

Richards deffinately went off the deep end, however I've noticed that nobody is talking about the guys in the audience calling him a "cracker" etc. I've also noticed that there is no audio regarding what was said to Richards before his tirade.

I make no excuses for Richards, what he said was pretty bad, but it seems that the media is staying consistent with it's, "white people are racist" bias. Aside from Richard's reaction, those guys we're just as racist and yet they've recieved a free ticket.

Richards deffinately went off the deep end, however I've noticed that nobody is talking about the guys in the audience calling him a "cracker" etc. I've also noticed that there is no audio regarding what was said to Richards before his tirade.

I make no excuses for Richards, what he said was pretty bad, but it seems that the media is staying consistent with it's, "white people are racist" bias. Aside from Richard's reaction, those guys we're just as racist and yet they've recieved a free ticket.

Well, I just watched the videos. There is a HUGE difference between calling someone a cracker and telling someone to shut up because 50 years ago I would have been able to hang your ass up from a tree, you N-----. Especially when the cracker comments came after the tirade.

Sorry, evoking Jim Crow laws and referencing lynching is totally inexcusable.

I heard that there was a cracker remark before the tirade which provoked his going off on the hecklers. I don't know.

What is a cracker anyway? I know the origin of "honky" and it makes me laugh, no offense. But what the heck is a cracker? Is it because saltines are crackers and they're white? I don't get it. What about cheese and wheat crackers?

Well, I just watched the videos. There is a HUGE difference between calling someone a cracker and telling someone to shut up because 50 years ago I would have been able to hang your ass up from a tree, you N-----. Especially when the cracker comments came after the tirade.

Sorry, evoking Jim Crow laws and referencing lynching is totally inexcusable.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. We berade Richards (which he deserves), but turn and defend the black men for similar racial comments. Yes you can argue the severity of Richrds tirade, but at least stay consisitent.

Personally, if someone called me a cracker like that I would either respond by yelling in like fashion, or kick their ass. Of course if you'e got a gun I'll shut up and leave.

I heard that there was a cracker remark before the tirade which provoked his going off on the hecklers. I don't know.

What is a cracker anyway? I know the origin of "honky" and it makes me laugh, no offense. But what the heck is a cracker? Is it because saltines are crackers and they're white? I don't get it. What about cheese and wheat crackers?

It's a racial comment refering to one being white like a cracker. In other words, It's like the "N" word but addressed to the white man.

i originally thought it meant white like a cracker, but i've also heard the origin is from the white man cracking the whip.

theories on the origin of the term in wikipedia.

The name may have originally been derived from "the white man cracking the whip", but it does not mean that today. Again, it's a racial slur.

We berade Richards (which he deserves), but turn and defend the black men for similar racial comments.
Well, the black people calling him cracker after being called ______s is more than defendable. Now, if they were calling him a cracker before he called them ______s, then even though he 100% wrong for sinking to their level, its now no different than the black guys if they called him cracker after being called ______ - wrong, but defendable.

Either way, I've always laughed when being called a cracker, whitebread, or honky. It's a laughably funny offense to be verbally called either one. Sinking to the level of the racist name caller does nothing to resolve the situation, and is most likely the response they are hoping to illicit from you, by them first calling you a name.

EDIT: Its funny how the forum software censors the word ______, but not the word honky, gook, cracker, spic, chink, wop, kike, zipperhead... Gotta love politically-incorrect political correctness. Aren't they all equally offensive when used to describe the race/ethnicity they're intended to insult?

Archived