Notsuoh At 314 Main St.

largeTEXAS

Just got back from Notsuoh, downtown Houston's former venerated hangout back in the early days of gentrification. It took over the former Clark's space and, although it's not exactly the same, looks and feels great. This is one of those little things that I think is going to make a big difference (if it lasts) over the long run. I even think it's open til like 4 am.

Just got back from Notsuoh, downtown Houston's former venerated hangout back in the early days of gentrification. It took over the former Clark's space and, although it's not exactly the same, looks and feels great. This is one of those little things that I think is going to make a big difference (if it lasts) over the long run. I even think it's open til like 4 am.

yeah i heard that the former tenants were having problems making ends meet and asked the owner for lower rent. of course that didn't happen. So they have to vacate and the owner resurrected notsuoh

The lady that owns it is one of the nicest & polite person I've ever met in my life.

So it's not the owner of the original NOTSUOH?

Will we still be able to play chess with the homeless?

I always had a good time at NOTSUOH. It was a good place to hang out and watch the "beautiful people" as they walked the streets with next to nothing on in the 40-degree weather. Fun to watch folks "suffer for style". :D

I find it hard to believe they actually "reproduced" the original NOTSUOH...complete with old salloon-style piano, all the wierd lamps and manequines....all the clutter downstairs, not to mention the galaxy of shoe boxes, that coffin that hovered upstairs, and all the bizzare rooms and things with all the debris.....they reproduced that Notsuuoh? How do you recreate chaos?

Is the dog hanging out inside also? Now, when my hand gets licked by the dog, then I Know the place is back!

I find it hard to believe they actually "reproduced" the original NOTSUOH...complete with old salloon-style piano, all the wierd lamps and manequines....all the clutter downstairs, not to mention the galaxy of shoe boxes, that coffin that hovered upstairs, and all the bizzare rooms and things with all the debris.....they reproduced that Notsuuoh? How do you recreate chaos?

As I understand it, when the owner of the original NOTSUOH bought the "Home of Easy Credit" building, it came as-is. The place was filled with shoes, lamps, miscellaneous couches, desks and chairs and all the other clutter you're talking about. The guy figured it was easier to just leave it as-is than to clean it all up, so.....that's how NOTSUOH got its charm!

Here's to laziness! :P

I haven't been to Clark's, but I assume all the cluter is gone? If so, there's no way to re-create the original vibe of NOTSUOH.

I think they should invest in a sound system and make the place a sort of live music venue. It would be nice to have an intimate live venue in the heart of all the pumping dance clubs. Engine Room, Meridian, and Warehouse Live are all kind of on the outskirts of downtown and they're a little big for local bands to play. You could check out a local show and then walk to another bar. Wouldn't that be nice.

^^^^^^^

They did have live music at Clark's but they charged cover. Therefore, it was always dead. Dean's has live music too.

They never charged cover... Atleast for every live event I've been too. Clark's charged $3.00 for a bottle of water. With prices like that, who needs a cover charge?

Bottles of water have now returned to their regular price of $1.00

Edited by Montrose1100

I think they should invest in a sound system and make the place a sort of live music venue. It would be nice to have an intimate live venue in the heart of all the pumping dance clubs. Engine Room, Meridian, and Warehouse Live are all kind of on the outskirts of downtown and they're a little big for local bands to play. You could check out a local show and then walk to another bar. Wouldn't that be nice.

No need to invest, Clark's did it for them. The A/V stuff is still there now for notsuoH version 2. First time I've been back to that place was to see Million Year Dance perform last week. Sound was good.

I used to play piano there at the original NoTsuOH....it was an old beat up saloon uprignt, and I would play some Chopin and stuff like that. I usuaally had to get a little buzzed before I got brave enough to do it. But then one day I heard poetry from people there, just walking up to the stage and reciting it. And I was inspired. The dog, well, that was the only living creature that noticed I was playing Chopin.

There was some bizzare stuff that used to go on upstairs. Yes there was.

can someone clue those of us who haven't lived in Houston for very long in?

sounds interesting...but what is it? a bar?

I dont have a picture. But, if I had to put it in words: Remember that scene in the movie Pulp Fiction - the scene of the pawn shop owned by "Zed", and "Maynard" was running the front room? Well, remember when "Maynard" takes the unconcious Bruce Willis downstairs, where the Gimp was sleeping, and then Zed shows up a little later, and Zed and Maynard contemplate the upcomming sodomy? The room where they did the contemplation (ennie, minnie, miney, moe), that's what NoTsuOH felt and looked like. Kind'a.

The charm was lost when it bacame Clarks. I dont think you can really get it back.