Condos To Replace Parking Lot

dbigtex56

Latest rumor is that condos are in the planning phase for the parking lot in the 1000 block of Westheimer (next door to Mary's.) The parking lot sign and money drop have already been removed.

What sort of impact do you think this will have on Lower Westheimer?

Latest rumor is that condos are in the planning phase for the parking lot in the 1000 block of Westheimer (next door to Mary's.) The parking lot sign and money drop have already been removed.

The parking lot between Mary's and Burger King? Dang - thats not a very big spot....I saw they were doing a bit of work in the parking lot.....where will the "Marys" park now ?? <G>

I can't imagine anyone wanting to live next door to a Burger King drive-thru, a sketchy Ctigo-type convenience store, and across the street from hustler central strip mall. Well, except for the Honorable Mr. Foley of Florida.

Hopefully, the entire block is up for a redesign...

I can't imagine anyone wanting to live next door to a Burger King drive-thru, a sketchy Ctigo-type convenience store, and across the street from hustler central strip mall. Well, except for the Honorable Mr. Foley of Florida.

Well... for those who want things fast, cheap and at all hours, it's ideal.

I do agree the block could use some redesign. But this is exactly why I don't get when people complain about no "urban" living here, and then there is this type of sentiment. In most cities where people live in urban areas, they realize that next door isn't always going to be a Banana Republic, Crate and Barrel and a Starbucks. How many Burger Kings and other fast food places must be in the manhattan area and you don't see people not living in the same block as one because there is one there. Sketchy convenience stores? You know of one that isn't? But its sometimes nice to be able to walk out and get a 6 pack without having to get in the car. That's the point. Granted, the BK drive through would be annoying to live next to, especially if its open late. But still, I hope they do build residential there.

Of course there are Burker Kings in Manhattan. But, they aren't in suburban style drive thru buildings surrounded by parking lots.

As for the sketchy convenience store, I was talking more about the elements that always seem to be drifting about on or near that corner. That is hustler/drug dealin' central.

Now, if someone wants to go in and build underground parking, street level retail that may include a convenience store and a fast food joint, and apartments/condos above, I am ALL for that kind of development.

But, that isn't going to happen. More than likely, someone is going to try and cram 4-6 "garden-homes" on that lot and surround it with a security fence and have ground level parking garages to enhance the street scene since this is how most development in the area seems to be undertaken.

i'd NEVER want to live there. impact? street parking will be worse.

Well... for those who want things fast, cheap and at all hours, it's ideal.

LOL my mind's in the gutter.

• 6 months later...

Wow. I would have never guessed an office tower but that makes more sense than a residential tower or condos in the spot. If I was an office worker, I'd love to be located there within walking distance to Felix's, Baba Yega's, Barnaby's, Nikko Nikko, and more. I bet the views are nice there too. If they build one with balconies, you'd have a great view for the Pride Parade too.

Hopefully it'll spur development across the street at that strip mall. I would love to see a mixed-use modern (steel and glass) project there. Ground floor retail, parking garage, office space, and condos on top. Something in the 10-15 floor range.

yeah that whole strip opposite is in need of a major upgrade. not sure it needs to be as dense as 10-15 stories with traffic as it already is. probably beyond optimal walking distance from richmond light rail so most people would get there by car.....

I think a bit of patience should be exercised when it comes to any mobility issues that may arise from the construction of this building.

I'd have to agree that the Richmond Rail would be a considerable distance away once it is built, but I believe that there would be enough of an out roar within the community that something HAS to be done and I wouldn't doubt that some accommodation would be reached to build some sort of solution in the area.

The only question as to what this would take form as:

Rail

BRT

Subway

Shuttle to Richmond rail

Closing off part of Westheimer to partial vehicle traffic (other than Metro)

Road Realignment (one way streets, reversible streets)

A "community" garage building.

It may be 5-10 years before anything will be considered, much less done.

• 3 months later...
I can't imagine anyone wanting to live next door to a Burger King drive-thru, a sketchy Ctigo-type convenience store, and across the street from hustler central strip mall.

People in the Montrose have been living like that for a long time...go down the road and you have a house next to Slider's and an apartment complex right next to a bar (Boondocks) and a headshop (Liquid).

Getting to look at the Westheimer side of the Tremont Tower's gotta be a real selling point too...it'd be to this place what the Days Inn is to the people on the Pierce side of 2016 Main.

• 1 month later...
People in the Montrose have been living like that for a long time...go down the road and you have a house next to Slider's and an apartment complex right next to a bar (Boondocks) and a headshop (Liquid).

Getting to look at the Westheimer side of the Tremont Tower's gotta be a real selling point too...it'd be to this place what the Days Inn is to the people on the Pierce side of 2016 Main.

I've got a friend that lives in the apartments next to Boondocks and she hates that place on the weekends. Extremely loud since they typically have live shows. But really, it's like downtown Austin. You should know that living that close to a street with bars is going to be loud and find something a few streets back.

I'm definitely curious about the development next to Mary's. After I saw the mural painted over I figured they were going to tear Mary's down, but not yet.

I owned a home that was 2 blocks from Sliders.

Living next to Slider's is a helluva lot different than living next to a suburban styled Burger King drive-thru. You'd have constant traffic, night time headlight pollution, and a char-broiled smell from the exhaust at B.K.

I know the Tremont Tower is a horribly constructed building with all sorts of problems, but I'd have to think that part of the reason sales never took off in the beginning is due to the view of a Wendy's parking lot and drive-thru. Who the heck wants to spend $350,000 for that?

I know the Tremont Tower is a horribly constructed building with all sorts of problems, but I'd have to think that part of the reason sales never took off in the beginning is due to the view of a Wendy's parking lot and drive-thru. Who the heck wants to spend $350,000 for that?

Maybe they should have painted some trees on the roof of the Wendy's.

• The title was changed to Condos To Replace Parking Lot