Fry's Electronic Store

• 3 months later...
From the outside there is no theme. Maybe there is one on the inside..

There is no theme on the inside either. I was there for the grand opening today. Some really really good deals early in the day but certainly gone by now.

Apparently, this is going to be the flagship store in Texas (or so one of the salespersons said) so they wanted to keep the decor simple and classic.

There is no theme on the inside either. I was there for the grand opening today. Some really really good deals early in the day but certainly gone by now.

Apparently, this is going to be the flagship store in Texas (or so one of the salespersons said) so they wanted to keep the decor simple and classic.

There is no theme there. It opened a few days ago and I just stopped by tonight. You wouldn't believe how busy it was. The parking lot was completely full and people were parking on the side streets, neighboring lots, gas stations, even a block away. They really did not build enough parking.

They should have built the store in First Colony, so they could have gone with that nice brown brick SugarLand theme. :P

There is no theme there.  It opened a few days ago and I just stopped by tonight.  You wouldn't believe how busy it was.  The parking lot was completely full and people were parking on the side streets, neighboring lots, gas stations, even a block away.  They really did not build enough parking.

Well, they didn't build enough parking for days like this, but I'm sure for most days, it's more than enough parking.

It was crazy today.

Well, they didn't build enough parking for days like this, but I'm sure for most days, it's more than enough parking.

It was crazy today.

You're probably right, but I can't help to think that it can't handle the holiday volume either! I guess time will tell. There is also some parking on the back and sides which is not obvious from 59, but it's still really not enough for a store like Frys.

By the way, the First Colony joke by UrbaNerd was a bad one because this place already does look pretty much like every building in Sugar Land. except the colored sign wouldn't fly with FCPOA's strict (and sometimes pointless) policies.

You're probably right, but I can't help to think that it can't handle the holiday volume either!  I guess time will tell.  There is also some parking on the back and sides which is not obvious from 59, but it's still really not enough for a store like Frys.

By the way, the First Colony joke by UrbaNerd was a bad one because this place already does look pretty much like every building in Sugar Land.  except the colored sign wouldn't fly with FCPOA's strict (and sometimes pointless) policies.

Yes, I have my suspicions about the December shopping rush as well!

Although I must say, I went again on yesterday's lazy Saturday afternoon and found parking to be no problem. TRAFFIC on the feeder however was terrible.

Yes, I have my suspicions about the December shopping rush as well!

Although I must say, I went again on yesterday's lazy Saturday afternoon and found parking to be no problem. TRAFFIC on the feeder however was terrible.

When I went Friday night it took over a half hour to park.

As for yesterday, I'm not sure what they were doing, but they had 59N down to one lane in SW Houston. They were doing some sort of construction, but I couldn't tell what. 59N main lanes and feeder were backed up all day.

The Fry's off I45 at West Road has a parking lot that is full every saturday and sunday. I haven't been there on a weekend yet that it is not full. I park in The Dump's parking lot and walked. I really don't mind walking, but i can see the US59 location always been full on weekends.

I happy that Fry's at least will target older shopping centers and inject them with life.

The Fry's at West Road and I45 set the stage for that shopping center to be renovated.

the clear lake store seems to have enough parking. i was there for the grand opening and found parking right away. but there's plenty of empty space down there, with parking on 3 sides of the building. only problem is its a pain to get to, you have to go all the way down to 518 and come back north on the feeder, or take kobayashi off of NASA 1

if you just drive by, make sure to stop and go inside if you have time. the outside's cool with the truss elements and space look, but they've got the whole space station mock up in there hanging from the ceiling, more complete then the actual one we're going to build (since we're running out of money and shuttle flights).

Ok,

So the clear lake location is the Space themed store.

I hear they had one. So there is an Oil Themed (I45 at West). Spaced Themed in Clear Lake. And Generic (maybe flagship) out near Sugarland on US 59.

They already have. The shopping center they are in on I45 and US 59 were at best falling apart and vacant. The leased the spaces and improved it. The Dump moved into the same center as Fry's on I45 because of amount of people Fry's attracts. Now this is stereotyping, but typically men go to the electronics and women would go see the furniture. Now there or both stores there. The places are pack in what was an empty retail center.

From what it sounds like, the one of US 59 is the same way. I don't know if other retails have moved next yet or if older retailers are now getting some customer boost with the all the people going to Fry's.

I would like to see that happen but how could Fry's make that happen?

NASA parkway is going to run right by the clear lake store, i'm sure there will be other retail that will develop due to fry's and the parkway.

but this isn't injecting life into old shopping centers, just would be creating new ones. not that we really need more down there with baybrook mall and everything around it.

• 2 months later...

Where are the Oil-themed and Space-themed Fry's stores?

The first Fry's in the Dallas area (on Northwest Hwy) has a sterotypical "Texas ranch" theme (lots of cows, pastures, etc.). Not really Texas's most progressive image, but I think most of the rest of the locations in Dallas are pretty generic (I do know that the Plano location is).

The Fry's in Clear Lake is the only one in the City as of now that is not in an old existing shopping center.

The one that just opened on 59 at W. Bellfort was newly built from the ground up. It is adjacent to an older shopping center at 59 and Murphy Rd. That's where my chiropractor's office is.

Archived