Dinosaur Theme Park On Highway 59

KimberlySayWhat

For 25 years, the county has buzzed with baseless rumors that Disney would locate its next theme park there, Sadler said. "This is probably the closest we're going to get."

well, crap, i'd much rather have a dinosaur-themed place than a disney park!

You are right Red, that IS about the size of it. I think he is gonna find that $50million ain't gonna go too far to "WOW" the kiddies for a second trip to the Dino park. I do welcome it however, I will definately be in line to walk through it.

How much did the Aquarium downtown cost to build ?

Edited by TJones

A small snippet:

The Pennsylvania-based Exhibits Rex plans to open Dinosaur City in 2008, but there are a lot of details to be worked out first.

The company and the East Montgomery County Improvement District hope to finalize a deal next week that would require the district to find a 100-acre site next to U.S. 59 and get legislative approval for a special economic zone and half-penny sales tax increase to repay about $25 million in revenue bonds.

The bonds would finance about half the cost to build the park. Unidentified real estate and entertainment investors would contribute another $25 million, under the terms of the proposed deal. The district also must agree to pay $200,000 for a study to determine whether the county is a good location for the park.

The park, which also would include an IMAX theater, water park, conference center and hotel, is expected to provide up to 1,000 jobs and could draw more than a million visitors a year, said Frank McCrady, president and CEO of the improvement district.

A destination tourist attraction also would draw new restaurants, retail and hotels to the area, providing new tax revenue and making the district's investment worthwhile, he said.

"It's going to be a tremendous amenity for our area and for the city of Houston," McCrady said. "It's a win for our entire area."

The company and the East Montgomery County Improvement District hope to finalize a deal next week that would require the district to find a 100-acre site next to U.S. 59 and get legislative approval for a special economic zone and half-penny sales tax increase to repay about $25 million in revenue bonds.

The bonds would finance about half the cost to build the park. Unidentified real estate and entertainment investors would contribute another $25 million, under the terms of the proposed deal. The district also must agree to pay $200,000 for a study to determine whether the county is a good location for the park.

The park, which also would include an IMAX theater, water park, conference center and hotel, is expected to provide up to 1,000 jobs and could draw more than a million visitors a year, said Frank McCrady, president and CEO of the improvement district.

Every number provided here seems to be way too high--except for the cost of the development.

• 1 month later...

"For 25 years, the county has buzzed with baseless rumors that Disney would locate its next theme park there, Sadler said. "This is probably the closest we're going to get."

I remember hearing about that years ago. Someone said they'd rather have this than another Disney? C'mon, are you serious? Considering how many visitors those places get a year? It's insane. Imagine it, "Disney Houston"

:lol @ Houston gettin Disney. I'd rather have a Paramount-owned theme park here instead. Better yet, resurrect Astroworld from the dead by buildig somewhere else in the city/metro, go to the other amusement parks that have the rides, and beg people who bought memorabilia on Ebay to give it all back.

• The title was changed to Dinosaur Theme Park On Highway 59