Buffalo Bayou River Walk

The Promenade on Buffalo Bayou has just opened. It's part of Houston's riverwalk. Has anyone gone down there or seen it? What is it just a bunch of concrete? Or is it a place with boat rides, shops,and resteraunts.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are at least 2 threads that I know of floating around

I think one is something like "Houston River City" and the other is something like "Buffalo Bayou Walk". Do a search

Here is the extensive thread on this

Here is the photo version

I think we should merge this with the Bayou Walk thread.

I will send a note to the moderator.

• 4 months later...

I hope there are more plans for the bayou east of San Jacinto, I noticed the city just completed a bayou or trail to sidewalk connection at the end of Austin @ Commerce. With Discovery Green going up I hope that influences the decision to follow the BB master plan!

I hope there are more plans for the bayou east of San Jacinto, I noticed the city just completed a bayou or trail to sidewalk connection at the end of Austin @ Commerce. With Discovery Green going up I hope that influences the decision to follow the BB master plan!

i pass by but always forget to check.... have they put back up the Historical Marker . i think it was for the civil war ship that sank and later some kids were killed due to an active bomb that blew up. if not how can we go about putting up the historical marker back up. for that who took it????

Is there a link to maybe a map of the Riverwalk trail? I wanna take my girlfriend to take pictures. I went downtown but i don't no where to park?

I usually park at Eleanor Tinsley Park on Allen Parkway and walk to the Sabine bridge and then go down the stairs to the trail.

Depending on the time of day, I sometimes park along Sam Houson Park.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the state of development plans for the BB? I am new to Houston and would love to see something like that go in. I'm particularly interested in the possibility of the Commerce Street Promenade going forward. A great redevelopment project such as this, combined with a new Dynamo stadium rigth north of MMP would really invigorate that part of downtown :rolleyes:

Even if it takes a while, Houston already seems like a great place to live. I've only been here for three months and already I find myself defending Houston against insults from those who have never been here. On the other hand, I have yet to make it through a summer....eeek! :huh:

-the newbie

Does anyone know the state of development plans for the BB? I am new to Houston and would love to see something like that go in. I'm particularly interested in the possibility of the Commerce Street Promenade going forward. A great redevelopment project such as this, combined with a new Dynamo stadium rigth north of MMP would really invigorate that part of downtown :rolleyes:

Even if it takes a while, Houston already seems like a great place to live. I've only been here for three months and already I find myself defending Houston against insults from those who have never been here. On the other hand, I have yet to make it through a summer....eeek! :huh:

-the newbie

Welcome to HAIF and to Houston. :)

It would be great to see the full Buffalo Bayou plan go through, but I'm not too optimistic most of it will happen. It was more of a development suggestion than an actual plan, and I'm not sure the money is really there.

Speaking of which, did they ever install the lights under the Main Street Viaduct? The idea was to illuminate the bottom of the arch so be visible from Allens Landing. In the renderings it looked really nice.

On the other hand, I have yet to make it through a summer....eeek! :huh:

Summer is the best part! :D

-the newbie

Buffalo Bayou Partership is still active and is a force to be reckoned with, but land prices east of downtown have risen to a level that makes it tricky for them to be able to acquire and assemble new land, and the chances of securing Symphony Island are basically shot all to hell because KBR is planning to use that land for a big 81-acre mixed-use project. The big stuff downtown is beyond their ability to implement, and basically comes down to cooperation between the Army Corps of Engineers, Harris County Flood Control District, the City of Houston, and other entities. BBP can only act as a planner and facilitator to those players.

Buffalo Bayou Partership is still active and is a force to be reckoned with, but land prices east of downtown have risen to a level that makes it tricky for them to be able to acquire and assemble new land, and the chances of securing Symphony Island are basically shot all to hell because KBR is planning to use that land for a big 81-acre mixed-use project. The big stuff downtown is beyond their ability to implement, and basically comes down to cooperation between the Army Corps of Engineers, Harris County Flood Control District, the City of Houston, and other entities. BBP can only act as a planner and facilitator to those players.

what kind of mixed used project?

I usually park at Eleanor Tinsley Park on Allen Parkway and walk to the Sabine bridge and then go down the stairs to the trail.

Depending on the time of day, I sometimes park along Sam Houson Park.

Thanks I took her down there last Sat and it is really a nice walk, and good for photos. Although there was a crowd I did notice quite a few people walking dogs, jogging, ETC. I would not think the Bayou Walk would be so nice from the outside, which is why I hope the city adapts the part of the BBMP where they replace and reroute the bridges over Buffalo Bayou so that the bayou will be more visible.

• 1 month later...

1)Can the City do anything to help implement the master plan besides just creating TIRZ areas? Could some kind of zoning or building restrictions/guidelines be created to help implement the idea of the master plan? Would something like that even be a good idea?

2) And why would a developer not want to be a part of something like this and build along the guidelines of the master plan? It'd be a great portfolio contributor.

3) Does anyone know if the WaterView East TIRZ was passed?

I love the idea of Buffalo Bayou development, but I am a ltttle confused about the actual plan.

Is it supposed to happen on the bayou itself or on a newly created "cutoff"?

What are the plans to deal with the regular flooding along the bayou?

I hope that Houston will take full advantage of this natural/historical feature

I love the idea of Buffalo Bayou development, but I am a ltttle confused about the actual plan.

What are the plans to deal with the regular flooding along the bayou?

I hope that Houston will take full advantage of this natural/historical feature

remember this is a long term plan and is mainly landscaping/trail development. any structures that might be built are not affected by rising waters. look at the area behind the wortham for instance. when waters rise, only big thing that happens is dirt is deposited in the amphitheater area which only requires a cleaning vs any restoration. it will be interesting to see if the plan on the east side is done in our lifetimes or is even done at all.

I saw in the plans to create one cut off, but that is not the whole plan, just a tiny part. If you click around on the site, you'll find plenty of .pdf files to look at.

And like musicman said, it's a 20 year plan which began I think about 3 years ago. And there actually is all kinds of residential included in the master plan, but it's not anything the city will do of course. It's just part of their "vision" that I guess their hoping developers will see, take over and implement.

1)Can the City do anything to help implement the master plan besides just creating TIRZ areas? Could some kind of zoning or building restrictions/guidelines be created to help implement the idea of the master plan? Would something like that even be a good idea?

2) And why would a developer not want to be a part of something like this and build along the guidelines of the master plan? It'd be a great portfolio contributor.

3) Does anyone know if the WaterView East TIRZ was passed?

The best thing for them to do is to contribute funding when they are able, as they did with the Sabine-to-Bagby Promenade. If anything, they need to reform the TIRZs, eliminate those that are unnecessary, and take a more highly-focused approach to those that can affect positive change in a reasonable period of time. Implementing TIRZs is not akin to shooting a shotgun. There is a developer by the name of Atkinson that is assembling land and trying to put it in the hands of deep-pocketed entities that have the capacity to master plan developments. That is the ideal outcome. If the City were to implement citywide zoning to affect this one area, there is a fair chance that they'd zone something unreasonable and could either retard the rate of development by requiring too much density and too many concessions from the developers...or they could speed it up by zoning for projects that are not sufficiently dense, creating a long-term scarcity of housing units. The single best thing that the City can do is to fund the development of civic and recreational infrastructure and utilities; beyond that, let developers do the heavy lifting.

where?

BBP has acquired easements along most of the bayou between US 59 and Lockwood and has got many of the trails already paved. They coordinated with the City to develop Tony Marron Park at the southeast corner of York and the bayou and are preparing to break ground in partnership with other nonprofits on a public boathouse at the southwest corner of York and the bayou. Additionally, they've acquired land along the north and south sides of the bayou that is between Wayside and the Turning Basin, which they will develop as nature parks.

But all those plans about Symphony Island and the Turkey Bend finger lakes are highly unlikely, though. KBR has very little incentive to turn their most valuable bit of real estate into an island and the ownership of industrial facilities between Lockwood and the HB&T tracks is highly divided...never mind the environmental cleanup that'd be necessary in those areas.

BBP has acquired easements along most of the bayou between US 59 and Lockwood and has got many of the trails already paved.
i rode on some of these then last yr. i know the trail i was on stopped at jensen in a fenced in area with a locked gate. i guess the trails were almost a given. it is the associated landscaping/lighting/development that i considered BB river walk. the area under 59 is interesting in an isolated way.

• 5 years later...

Archived