Buffalo Bayou River Walk

I understand that HCFCD is requesting the North Canal as one of their top CIP priorities for flood reduction purposes.

I'm not privy to any details but knowing the process, construction is years away. I would guess survey and land acquisition will take years in itself.

Being an HCFCD project they can build things for flood control and environmental benefits but by a strict interpretation of their mission they can't build recreational facilities. They do get creative, and certainly go into partnerships with others to team up on planning and funding for things they can't fund themselves...like trails, park features, etc.

So, depending on how things shake out and whether anyone comes to the table with money, I would assume that HCFCD will build a flood control channel, with allowances for others to improve it in the future.

Like I said, I have no real insight, so things may already be in motion to make significant improvements beyond flood control. All it takes is more money.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the name of that apartment building (Canal Place) speaks to the future of the project. I mean there is no canal anywhere near the building so why would they name it Canal Place. Perhaps they know that the south canal will be built and they named the building accordingly.

Maybe the name of that apartment building (Canal Place) speaks to the future of the project. I mean there is no canal anywhere near the building so why would they name it Canal Place. Perhaps they know that the south canal will be built and they named the building accordingly.

It's very near canal street

maybe, but it seems doubtful as they built their apartments right on top of where the canal was supposed to go. you would think they would of left that portion undeveloped and built along the "canal" area. now the canal would either have to be diverted around the building or the building torn down.

lol - just curious are these the apts right on he train tracks? What is the rent like over there? Couldn't find on website

no the apartments you are talking about are the Alexan Lofts i believe. the old warehouses?

does anyone know where the name Canal street came from? surely there didnt used to be a Canal running through that part of Houston?

Canal Street? The Chronicle directed me to Amazon, which just sold me a Kindle edition of this book

CANAL: Prior to 1918 this Houston thoroughfare was called German Street. The name was changed because of the anti-German sentiment caused by WW I. Although none of the early city maps I studied showed any canal in the area, its proximity to the Houston Ship Channel and other maritime themed streets such as Navigation, may have influenced its name.

Hinton, Marks (2012-03-26). Historic Houston Streets: The Stories Behind the Names (Kindle Locations 1568-1571). BookMasters. Kindle Edition. 

There appears to be lots of interesting stuff in the book.  Houston history buffs ought to look into it.   

(I just got interested in the topic by a business move to Old Spanish Trail.  The Old Spaniards didn't really care for this part of Texas; Cabeza de Vaca's account wasn't that appealing.  The street name is a relic of a very early coast to coast highway.)

• 4 weeks later...

nothing to do with the riverwalk, but i cant find a thread for the full Buffalo Bayou master plan. it looks like another part of the plan is nearing completion..

http://swamplot.com/introducing-the-bud-light-amphitheater-the-next-greenspace-to-grace-buffalo-bayou/2013-08-07/

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28528-buffalo-bayou-amphitheater/#entry430504

• The topic was unlocked

Archived