The 700-mile border fence

DJ V Lawrence

Border question...  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is a 700-mile fence worth the taxpayer money?

• Yes
    • No

Damn, there you go again with the "you guys". You don't know my voting record, so why would you try to lump me in with a certain political party? Again: I just want to know which is ultimately cheaper. a wall of brick, or a virtual wall.

You wont get a proper answer because the people that try and lump you with a particular political party or another are incapable of providing proper answers to anything. The track record speaks for itself........

Never a definitive answer, just the same old party line BS.

Damn, there you go again with the "you guys". You don't know my voting record, so why would you try to lump me in with a certain political party? Again: I just want to know which is ultimately cheaper. a wall of brick, or a virtual wall.

I don't care. Nothing will be built. There is no money. I just don't care about another made up Republican "war on [fill in the blank]" anymore than I care about debating something that was never going to happen in the first place.

700 miles is not enough and some will say its to much i say 2000+ or Bust. This half way junk is a waste of time. Can we get somebody elected to do something right for once. for both sides of the border.

Edited by Marty

For all of you folks that want a wall built; go buy a house in a gated community on a private drive that can only be accessed by admission from a rent-a-cop in a guard "hut." Maybe inside, your house can have its own privacy wall as well. Oh happy world.

Quite frankly, I am less afraid of the immigrants than I am of the wall building supporters.

• Like 1

Nmain, Tjones & others: If we don't build a wall, what are some other alternatives to help accomplish this?

Here's three ideas:

1) Encourage people who want to come to America to do so legally with a system that's faster and easier than it is today. In other words, the same background checks and paperwork as today, but instead of taking more than a few months or years, have it take less than a week per person. For that to happen, we'd have to hire more people to join the understaffed immigration department. I'm sure we could afford it if we can afford a 700-mile wall.

2) Keep our immigration laws consistant and easy for the immigration department to understand. Apparently there are immigration law changes on a daily basis, and as a result, you may hear confusion on the part of an immigration department worker as to when certain laws and procedures take place, as I have. Do something to end that confusion, yo. If THEY don't understand the laws and procedures, how the hell would an immigrant trying to come into America understand? And there's no way a worker would understand everything if these changes happen on a daily basis. Let's make it so that changes in immigration laws could be discussed and passed ONCE a year instead of daily, say, sometime in Summer like the first two weeks in June, and EVERY change would take place January 1st of the next year, so EVERYONE knew when each law's gone into effect. And have those changes discussed at an Immigration Conference Special Session or something.

3. Use satelite and infrared (and virtual wall) at the border to track ALL movement at the border instead of a border that you could jump over with a pole-vault or just walk around. And use all that concrete that you would have used on the wall to, I don't know, update the levees in New Orleans into state-of-the-art dams and water control facilities? The levees there are still obsolete by 40 years and could use an Extreme Levee Makeover (somebody call Todd). Let the border patrol have the computers and jurisdiction instead of our troops like I've heard some idiots say. The problem there isn't the personel guarding the border. The problem is the fact that the personel there find it hard to track everything with what they have. They don't need troops; they need technology, yo.

Finally, about the immigrants already in America. Make it illegal to hire illegal immigrants. Face jail time if caught. All they need is a driver's license or something. And make it easier for illegal immigrants here to gain citizenship to the U.S.. But make it harder for an illegal immigrant to live here illegally than it is to be legal. Also, that would mean that all jobs that once hired illegals to work (farms, etc.) would HAVE to pay minimum wage at the absolute MINIMUM. A lot of them currently pay 2-3 dollars an hour. That's almost unlivable with our expensive cost of living, yo. Plus, have them pay taxes like everyone else, so they could contribute as they would have in another country, and so we could be able help pay for whatever our taxes pay for.

• 1 year later...
I didn't mean to create a storm. Was just something that I came across related to illegal immigration, and how they are dealing with it in other parts of the country.

I know, but you know how some just pulverize a simple discussion. The article is quite correct...oops guess thats what lit the fuse now.

Oh well, it's Friday siesta time...oops! That's offensive to say too... :lol: