shots of my redo

Here's my bathroom as promised Red. The color i chose was from an old Sherwin Willaims pallette. You either like it or you don't. This room had so many things i didn't like about it. there was a cabinet above the tub. if you were over 5'10" your head would hit the cabinet. The floor was berber and underneath was linoleum. The toilet is the original while the pedestal sink is one i found online. it had some of the same details at the toilet so i used it. I am also glad i removed the vanity. it just took up too much space.

Before shot....

bathroomorig.jpg

After shot....

bathroomfinal.jpg

As i was remodeling the bathroom, under the sheetrock I found Little Black Sambo wallpaper so i decided to used some pieces as art. While I know it may not be PC, I like it.

littlesambo.jpg

Edited by musicman

I like! Love the tile work, too.

Sorry to see the berber go, though. Everyone should experience the joys of berber in the bath! :lol:

i had to order the black and white tile. was just too hard to find. I had a couple of places tell me few people like it so they don't carry it. i asked why? "because it shows dirt" they said. and I must say it does but no regrets.

As i was remodeling the bathroom, under the sheetrock I found Little Black Sambo wallpaper so i decided to used some pieces as art. While I know it may not be PC, I like it.

littlesambo.jpg

Actually, that figure of a youngster in your wallpaper has Oriental features and is wearing a short jacket like those worn decades ago by Pacific islanders. The thatched hut on stilts and the parasol are also from that part of the world - perhaps the Philippines. The colors (Chinese Red) and Far East motifs were considered exotic and chic in the 1930's-1940's. In those days, most people only dreamed of traveling to foreign lands and their concept of them was formed by what they saw in the movies. There was no TV or internet.

Some people collect swatches of old wallpaper and display them, as you did.

Edited by silverartfox

Actually, that figure of a youngster in your wallpaper has Oriental features and is wearing a short jacket like those worn decades ago by Pacific islanders. The thatched hut on stilts and the parasol are also from that part of the world - perhaps the Philippines. The colors (Chinese Red) and Far East motifs were considered exotic and chic in the 1930's-1940's. In those days, most people only dreamed of traveling to foreign lands and their concept of them was formed by what they saw in the movies. There was no TV or internet.

well...i didn't post the pics of the tigers running around the trees, etc. There are various "sambos." My mom has several versions of the book each with different illustrations. And the protagonist changes African, Indian,etc. If you were to see the entire wallpaper there would be no question.

pics of living room. i will have to preface this with the following. the orignal owners removed ALL the wooden windows and went to aluminum in the 50's. Yes i hate that but have to live with it. What I hate more is that they also removed the associated trimwork. I ended up redoing the trim work. There is an arch between the living room and den that still had the original moulding. I found them at Montalbano on Houston and went to work. The after pic was taken a day or so after my wood floors were done.

I also knew that I would need to be able to wash the walls in light because of the artwork i own. I had originally looked at recessed cans however when your dad and brother are HFD chiefs, and they both mentioned the fires that were caused by these i stayed clear. They would have had to be placed in 60+ yr old wood. As a result I went with track.

before....

den.jpg

after...

Dscf0474_updated.jpg

There were also several threads involving insulating and shiplap. I found a pic of where I removed a few pieces of shiplap and then stuff insulation thru the holes and then replaced the shiplap. I've seen quite a few homes where contractors just come in and remove it all. I didnt want that. Even though it took longer, I ended up restoring the shiplap in its original locations.

shiplapdiningroom.jpg

There was also a thread on flex duct and the kinks that usually result do to poor installation. I ended up installing wood under the duct so that the straps wouldn't cause a kink in the duct. It has worked flawlessly for 4 yrs or so.

ductwork.jpg

Did you set that beautiful tile in the bath yourself?

Good for you replacing the shiplap. The best thing is you can hang heavy artwork [or shelving] anywhere!

Where is your home and what year was it built?

Good luck!!!

B)

No I didn't set the tile myself. By the time I would have purchased a tile cutter and wasted tile by practicing, it was just as reasonable to pay someone since the space was small.

I am located near Danax in Pecan Park (Woodridge is the actual neighborhood name). The paperwork i saw said the property was purchased in 1938. The Brannons had the house built soon thereafter. He was a contractor of some sorts and did the contracting himself. I bought it from his wife in Dec 2001. She was 98 at the time. One son was my parents' neighbor but has passed. The daughter is the only survivor now and lives in Oak Forest and runs a biz in the Heights.

Home looks GREAT ! Gives me inspiration to work on my home ! Heh.

thank you. All i can say is that you should give yourself some time to figure out what you want. It took about 2 to 3 yrs for me to get where I am now. now if I could only figure out what i want in the kitchen!

We have a few others who have updated their homes as well as a result of seeing the results here. It's amazing at what a little paint can do!

Edited by musicman

Great work! Glad to see some pics to inspire people to reno and see behind decades of weird decisions :>

Issue of PC aside, that wall paper is pretty neat, if you have more of it in good condition, it is probably worth some money. This was a favorite childhood book of my father's.

Great work! Glad to see some pics to inspire people to reno and see behind decades of weird decisions :>

Issue of PC aside, that wall paper is pretty neat, if you have more of it in good condition, it is probably worth some money. This was a favorite childhood book of my father's.

thx. well there's not much left...i actually left some on the wall so it is covered up with sheetrock again...i have some more pics in the bathroom that i pieced together. the wallpaper in the rest of the house was nice too. the living/dining room had pics of southern mansions while the bedrooms had flower patterns.

musicman:

questions:

suspending the duct work doesn't create a flow problem for the air having to go "up hill" a little before going back down? - i'm sorry if this is a stupid question

also: would installing ic rated recessed cans solve the problem with them being a fire hazard??

well...flex duct is the least efficient means of air distribution because the interior isn't completely smooth. But the key is to install so that the duct doesn't pinch which impedes airflow even more. the "uphill" portion is negligible because it is only a short distance overall. i'll bet 100% of homeowners have significant pinching in some portion of their ductwork.

as for the can....IC rated cans allow insulation to be placed against the can vs. the non-IC where you can't. BUT heat is generated by the cans which could catch other items (insulation paper, shiplap, etc) on fire due to excessive heat. My dad was in the fire department for over 40 yrs and he has seen numerous instances of fire due to recessed cans. I tend to do the safe thing anyway so i stayed clear of recessed cans. I will say that i found in the end i was happy that i put up track because I can easily change configuation if i add or remove pictures.

Nowadays they are considered fairly energy inefficient due to airloss thru the hole. They do have airtight ones now, of course those aren't the ones installed by builders and most homeowners.

well...flex duct is the least efficient means of air distribution because the interior isn't completely smooth. But the key is to install so that the duct doesn't pinch which impedes airflow even more. the "uphill" portion is negligible because it is only a short distance overall. i'll bet 100% of homeowners have significant pinching in some portion of their ductwork.

as for the can....IC rated cans allow insulation to be placed against the can vs. the non-IC where you can't. BUT heat is generated by the cans which could catch other items (insulation paper, shiplap, etc) on fire due to excessive heat. My dad was in the fire department for over 40 yrs and he has seen numerous instances of fire due to recessed cans. I tend to do the safe thing anyway so i stayed clear of recessed cans. I will say that i found in the end i was happy that i put up track because I can easily change configuation if i add or remove pictures.

Nowadays they are considered fairly energy inefficient due to airloss thru the hole. They do have airtight ones now, of course those aren't the ones installed by builders and most homeowners.

thanks for your answer..I am asking about both because we are currently working on replacing insulation in the attic (and possibly the duct work) as well as taking out the old, non-ic rated cans and possibly installing ic rated ones that are airtight....i'm still researching the code on the ic rated ones on whether or not they say they can or cannot be installed through a "combustible" material like shiplap...

speaking of fire hazards.............. paper faced insulation against shiplap. The fine print on the stuff says it should not be installed directly against a combustible material. (we presently have the paper faced kind that we are slowly bagging up and getting rid of). With all the old houses in houston with shiplap you would think it wouldn't be too difficult to find non faced, rolls of insulation...but we had to special order ours..

thanks for your answer..I am asking about both because we are currently working on replacing insulation in the attic (and possibly the duct work) as well as taking out the old, non-ic rated cans and possibly installing ic rated ones that are airtight....i'm still researching the code on the ic rated ones on whether or not they say they can or cannot be installed through a "combustible" material like shiplap...

speaking of fire hazards.............. paper faced insulation against shiplap. The fine print on the stuff says it should not be installed directly against a combustible material. (we presently have the paper faced kind that we are slowly bagging up and getting rid of). With all the old houses in houston with shiplap you would think it wouldn't be too difficult to find non faced, rolls of insulation...but we had to special order ours..

you can still use the insulation with the paper vapor barrier, just rip the paper off near the sources of heat i.e. the cans, water heater vent, etc. The problem results with heat buildup. with the insulation around the can, the heat doesn't get a chance to dissipate as quickly.

some people put too high wattage bulbs for the fixture too. There are just a lot of unknowns.

Edited by musicman

They do have airtight ones now, of course those aren't the ones installed by builders and most homeowners.

true... but if you're worried about the energy loss you can get that metallic tape and cover the holes if you want... I had my electrician do that at my house...

true... but if you're worried about the energy loss you can get that metallic tape and cover the holes if you want... I had my electrician do that at my house...

the cans themselves aren't airtight either. hope some of the holes you taped up aren't required for transformer or light ventilation and were put there by design. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

i'm starting to think about painting the outside of my house. i'm still contemplating color palettes. it was built in the late 30's so i'm going for a palette from that era.

houseawnings.jpg

i did find a blue that i liked however 3 nearby neighbors' homes are blue so i'm not headed in that direction. i did find this palette at sherwin williams that i liked.

look at last example (house of silvergrey, buff trim, and chinese red accent)

i have subsequently painted the stripes on the awnings and my front door the chinese red color, which i like. The majority of the house i hope will be the silvergray color which is a good neutral.

DSCF0443.jpg

i am open to anything at this point though. i do like many art deco era colors which tend to be neutral or more light pastels with bold accents.

some neighbors came over a few days ago and said they liked the chinese red (which is really orange in the bright sun). and her son said, yeah it reminds me of whataburger! LOL

Edited by musicman

That's pretty impressive that you can choose historically accurate paint schemes. The chinese red on the awnings is a nice touch.

it takes me too long to pick out one color much less three. I went to 2 more paint stores today and their historical palettes sucked. i updated the pic but the red still looks red instead of leaning towards an orange.

i used the silvergray and unfortunately, it looks similar to a neighbor's home who i picked the colors out for. comments? nothing has been done with the white yet so please ignore.

DSCF0445.jpg

Edited by musicman

Fantastic improvement! The new colors are a great combination. The trim on the window is perfect and all of it comes together well. The bathroom seems larger and has such a clean chrisp appearance. I would have thought it was a new bathroom in a 4 Seasons hotel. You should send this all to This Old House Magazine, they just might use, never know.