HPD Officer Slain In The Line Of Duty

Jeebus

Officer Rodney Johnson was shot around 5:30 Thursday afternoon in the 9300 block of Randolph. He was rushed to Ben Taub, but it was too late. The 40-year-old father of five didn’t survive. Homicide investigators, Internal Affairs agents and members of the Harris County District Attorney’s office were at the scene of the crime, trying to piece together what could have gone so tragically wrong. When police reached the scene, they got the male suspect in custody, and hog-tied him. He had already been in custody.

LINK: KHOU Web Story

Its a damn shame.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah - I heard the area around Hobby Airport is not very good at all!

Actually the part of Hobby where this happened surprisingly has one of the lowest crime rates in the city.

I don't think this incident is representative of the area. Stuff is happening all over these days. The same day I read about this, there was also an article on 2 people being found beaten to death in their home in Ft. Bend county, which most people would consider safe.

At least they have this guy in custody, although that is a very small consolation in this tragedy.

Actually the part of Hobby where this happened surprisingly has one of the lowest crime rates in the city.

I don't think this incident is representative of the area. Stuff is happening all over these days. The same day I read about this, there was also an article on 2 people being found beaten to death in their home in Ft. Bend county, which most people would consider safe.

I agree totally.

it was a traffic stop.

that doesn't signify anything about the area, especially since he was probably just passing through.

I don't think this incident is representative of the area. Stuff is happening all over these days.

This is the area where i grew up in. The part of the neighborhood north of Almeda Genoa has more police calls than the part south. The calls are mostly your average crimes. The hot spot in the area is definitely telephone road. There is a storefront nearby as well. Crime is just going up all over Houston. I will say the problem starts at the top. Overtime isn't a solution. It's maybe a bandaid at most.

I will say the problem starts at the top. Overtime isn't a solution. It's maybe a bandaid at most.

Are you suggesting Chief Hurtt is responsible for this officer's death?

You've made several cracks about the PD lately, mostly parrotting the police unions. Agreeing that overtime is not a permanent solution, how would YOU close the 700 officer gap? Where does one find 700 police officers, ready to jump in their squad cars and save the day? What should the City do that it is not already doing? And how would YOU pay for a 15% increase in the police department?

I'm curious, because I see what the City is doing to alleviate the shortage, and I recognize that it cannot be done overnight. But, I hear people badmouth the Mayor and others over this issue, without ever hearing just what reasonable steps should be taken that aren't being taken now.

Are you suggesting Chief Hurtt is responsible for this officer's death?

You've made several cracks about the PD lately, mostly parrotting the police unions. Agreeing that overtime is not a permanent solution, how would YOU close the 700 officer gap? Where does one find 700 police officers, ready to jump in their squad cars and save the day? What should the City do that it is not already doing? And how would YOU pay for a 15% increase in the police department?

I'm curious, because I see what the City is doing to alleviate the shortage, and I recognize that it cannot be done overnight. But, I hear people badmouth the Mayor and others over this issue, without ever hearing just what reasonable steps should be taken that aren't being taken now.

I"m suggesting that HPD management has been slacking for quite a while and just continues with this administration.

Crime hasn't been a big issue in about 15 yrs for citizens here. Now that the crime rate is increasing, they are reacting by adding overtime. Unfortunately they are also dealing with low morale which is causing a high number of officers to retire. The union and several councilmembers have recognized the morale problem. A survey was done to determine where officers officers stand on various subjects. Many felt that Chief Hurtt wasn't a leader but a dictator. IMO when Chief Hurtt recommended changing the current chase policy without Council concurrence, I felt that this was poor judgement. Obviously the Mayor was irritated by this move as well.

I believe that determining the reasons for poor morale is just as important because many officers would continue to work longer if they felt management was supporting them. I think the survey was a good step in addressing what problems are occuring, however Chief Hurtt felt as if it was a racial issue. That is a copout IMO esp from the chief of police.

I"m suggesting that HPD management has been slacking for quite a while and just continues with this administration.

Crime hasn't been a big issue in about 15 yrs for citizens here. Now that the crime rate is increasing, they are reacting by adding overtime. Unfortunately they are also dealing with low morale which is causing a high number of officers to retire. The union and several councilmembers have recognized the morale problem. A survey was done to determine where officers officers stand on various subjects. Many felt that Chief Hurtt wasn't a leader but a dictator. IMO when Chief Hurtt recommended changing the current chase policy without Council concurrence, I felt that this was poor judgement. Obviously the Mayor was irritated by this move as well.

I believe that determining the reasons for poor morale is just as important because many officers would continue to work longer if they felt management was supporting them. I think the survey was a good step in addressing what problems are occuring, however Chief Hurtt felt as if it was a racial issue. That is a copout IMO esp from the chief of police.

Does this mean you have no suggestions for quickly hiring and paying for 700 new officers?

As you are aware, I've worked in or around law enforcement for 19 years, in Houston, Dallas and Fort Worth. In every decade, in every city, the police always carp about "morale". Given that the police and fire departments in any city are the most politically infighting groups I have ever seen, the "morale" claim has lost it's edge with me. ALL jobs in law enforcement and the criminal system are physically and/or mentally and emotionally draining. It can affect morale, even when you work for the best office in the state, as I did in Fort Worth. HPD has a shortage because a huge number of officers are reaching 20 years service, and retiring. This is a fiscal move on the part of most officers. It has little to do with "morale".

I don't doubt that you know a few officers who have claimed low morale. I am merely stating that I know dozens who do not claim such. In fact, most of the ones I talk to don't even say crime has increased (other than the obvious murder rate, a miniscule number, compared to overall crime). Crime is certainly way down from the 80s and 90s, when Houston had murders in the 500 to 700 range.

Officer Johnson's death is tragic. It is also a result of his not adequately searching the suspect. Why he did not do so is unknown, but to insinuate that the police chief bears some responsibility for his death is disgusting. You should be ashamed.

Officer Johnson's death is tragic. It is also a result of his not adequately searching the suspect. Why he did not do so is unknown, but to insinuate that the police chief bears some responsibility for his death is disgusting. You should be ashamed.

I don't know about his training but I do remember when I was growing up, cops always rode in pairs.

In later years as the city grew and people were being convinced they were being over-taxed when it came to city services, HPD was forced to a one man per car status. As a result, cops are on their own until they call in for help. Perhaps if Officer Johnson had had a partner's back-up, we wouldn't have the music's of the world blaming this senseless death on the Chief.

Cheif Hurtt wanted to needlessly spend thousands dollars to replace all his supervisors "gold-star" badges with ones that had numbers on them, as the patrol officers have.

I'm sure if we had an HPD officer here, they could tell us of other things the Chief has done that is unsettling. The only thing he has done that I approve of are the tasers.

I also feel strongly that all law enforcement officers should ride in pairs. Does anyone know if this is something the HPD Union has fought for in the past? Of all the issues I've seen their Union President on tv for, it was never that. If nothing else, HPD should use this tragedy to their advantage and get approval for two-officer units. It worked for HFD to get four firefighters on each fire truck after a firefighter died in the Four Leaf Tower fire, back in 2000.

Does this mean you have no suggestions for quickly hiring and paying for 700 new officers?

As you are aware, I've worked in or around law enforcement for 19 years, in Houston, Dallas and Fort Worth. In every decade, in every city, the police always carp about "morale". Given that the police and fire departments in any city are the most politically infighting groups I have ever seen, the "morale" claim has lost it's edge with me. ALL jobs in law enforcement and the criminal system are physically and/or mentally and emotionally draining. It can affect morale, even when you work for the best office in the state, as I did in Fort Worth. HPD has a shortage because a huge number of officers are reaching 20 years service, and retiring. This is a fiscal move on the part of most officers. It has little to do with "morale".

I don't doubt that you know a few officers who have claimed low morale. I am merely stating that I know dozens who do not claim such. In fact, most of the ones I talk to don't even say crime has increased (other than the obvious murder rate, a miniscule number, compared to overall crime). Crime is certainly way down from the 80s and 90s, when Houston had murders in the 500 to 700 range.

Putting men on overtime isn't solving the problem. The ones i talk to say that overtime is killing them because of the long hours. adding additional cadet classes plus pursuading the current officers to stay longer is the ultimate solution however the short term problems aren't addressed. of course overtime helps, but the officers should NOT be working over 55-60 hrs/week. Performance suffers. My dad actually volunteers at the storefront near where the officer got killed. The officers have said they are working more than 70 hrs/week which is too much in a stressful position. Perhaps the officer that was murdered was tired and didn't follow procedure as a result?!? I know i'm just speculating but i honestly wonder because people do cut corners when tired and accidents increase.

My father and brother were/are both firefighters. Dad retired with 43 years and my brother has 22 yrs of service. They will both tell you definitively that leadership affects morale. You doht believe it but that's what they've told me. Since you work for youself, I guess you forgot this. But those who have a boss will definitely tell you that a good boss will affect morale as well a bad one.

You must be talking to officers behind a desk because the ones i talk to are saying that crime is increasing and criminals are more brazen.

It will be interesting ot see whether policies are changed. Chief Hurtt had a news conference this afternoon and was asked several tough questions by Andy Cerota of Ch13. One particularly that he dodged was regarding the city's policy regarding illegal aliens. Andy asked him whether city enforcement of law might have saved the officers life. The chief responded it is a federal problem not a local one. In fact after the interview, HPD called ch13 to clarify the chief's words because it did make him look 2nd rate. Unfortunately they didn't repeat the whole interview at 6 so that everyone could see it.

Oh and I am not ashamed of my words.

I don't know about his training but I do remember when I was growing up, cops always rode in pairs.

In later years as the city grew and people were being convinced they were being over-taxed when it came to city services, HPD was forced to a one man per car status. As a result, cops are on their own until they call in for help. Perhaps if Officer Johnson had had a partner's back-up, we wouldn't have the music's of the world blaming this senseless death on the Chief.

You hit it right on! The two man policy needs to be reevaluated by council. I think this tragic death will definitely result in policy changes for the better.

Could you link us with something that would back-up that statement?

watch the news at 10 maybe they'll say it again. on the 6 pm news, Gina gaston specifically mentioned the call to ch13 after andy's story i.e. it wasn't taped. The actual news conference was about 5 pm and was carried live by 13. I know andy and isiah carey from 26 asked questions. I think maybe nancy holland from channel 11. was definitely a woman though. Andy actually repeated the question 2 if not 3 times and the chief did not answer directly.

LINK: KHOU Web Story

Its a damn shame.

The police officer that was killed had 5 children and a wife. He sounded like a "role model" to all who knew him. I respect what police officers do to keep the community safe. Police officers have to deal with the "evil" and the "dangerous". They risk their lives to protect us. My heart goes out to the family. They will be forever changed.

I just watched 13, the phone call from HPD to ch13 was not mentioned. The andy cerota vocals weren't heard either. He was covering the news conference live.

As of 10:31 PM, live nor taped coverage has failed to confirm your previous allegation.

So, could you link us with something that would back your previous allegation?

As of 10:31 PM, live nor taped coverage has failed to confirm your previous allegation.

So, could you link us with something that would back your previous allegation?

Like i said in the previous post, the phone call was not mentioned at 10 nor were Andy Cerota's questions heard. If you listened at 10, Gina did mention that the entire newsconference can be found on abc13.com but i haven't been successful in accessing it. Also Gina's comments concerning the phone call were said live at 6. So that won't be there. I did send an email to the news department. hopefully they will respond confirming the phone call. if someone here works at ch 13, please chime in. Just confirm that everything CAN'T be found on the web.

does anyone have an idea how many americans are killed by illegal immigrants every year? i heard it is somewhere in the neighborhod of 25 per month but have no site or statistics to back it up.

The county people counts Latins as Whites. when it come to crime :wacko:

Archived