TxDOT Houston District Headquarters At 7600 Washington Ave.

mhh222

The large TX DOT site just north of I-10 on the east side of Washington has construction activity -- bulldozers clearing what has been a large empty lot for some time know. Does anyone have any information on what may be happening here. Wishful thinking says a new supermarket/shopping center (please!), but I'm guessing new apartment or town-home complex or something for TX DOT. Anyone have any information? Inquiring minds want to know!

Oh well, so much for the supermarket!

Found this on the TX DOT site (note the quote about the sloped roof design -- sounds interesting!):

Gilbane to Develop HQ for TxDOT

Gilbane Development Co, has entered into an agreement with TxDOT to develop and leaseback a new headquarters building and renovate several existing facilities in the Houston area.

The new 130,000-sq.-ft. headquarters building will be developed on a 16-acre site in western Houston along the IH-10 corridor. The building will house TxDOT's Houston District Headquarters operations. The building consists of five stories and is capped by a contemporary slopped roof design, which invokes movement through its airfoil shape. Gilbane will also construct a new 14,000-sq.-ft. stand-alone laboratory and 575-vehicle parking garage on the same site.

As part of the overall leaseback, renovations will be made to an existing five-story TxDOT building that will become a new traffic signal shop and warehouse. Renovations will also be done to an existing TxDOT laboratory.

Robert V. Gilbane, president of Gilbane Development, said Gilbane's involvement in the project allowed the team to expedite the project and shorten its schedule. >> Having Gilbane develop the facilities under a leaseback structure preserves TxDOT's capital for use on roads, bridges and other transportation projects, he added. Gilbane Building Co. will manage construction of the facilities.

• 1 year later...

The architecture is sort of interesting. I'm trying to re-picture it in my mind but I remember it's got a sloped roof and some Galvalume looking sections to give it a "modern" look, which reminds me of back in the 30s and 40s when a lot of commercial buildings got the "Moderne" treatment, and those that are still standing have become even more appealing over time. Perhaps this one will too.

My thought when I first passed by it was that a new horse racing track was going up.. :mellow:

• The title was changed to Washington Ave. North Of I-10 Construction?
  • The title was changed to TxDOT Houston District Headquarters At 7600 Washington Ave.

Archived