Mall OF Texas

Guest Plastic

The job market and the economy in The Cities is actually very good. A very diverse market that compares very favorably to metros in a similar size class (~3 million) like San Diego or St. Louis. So no, not everyone works for the Mall of America.

Jason

i am pretty sure he was exaggerating

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Malls may be out of style today. But in 10 years, once the outdoor shopping trend is over and everyone has suffered a heat stroke in the summer and has wet hair in the winter, the mall will make a big come back.

And Houston would be one step ahead of the game if there was a ultra modern mega mall in an ideal location ready to welcome back the serious shoppers that have become tired of dealing with Houston weather.

I think I am gonna go run out and invest some hard earned loot over at The San Jacinto mall, and sit on it until the resurrgence ! <_<:lol:

Guest Plastic

Lack of entertainment is why malls are dying. one drive by the Marq-e on a weekend nigh t will show you. WHat I mean is people all over want mroe than just shopping. THey want entertainment,attractions,nightlife,resteraunts, and stuff you can't find anywhereelse under one roof.

The malls that are closing are all central malls. Malls in the suburbs are thriving or being planned. The Galleria is thriving and growing when Northwest Mall,Northline,Gulfgate,and ALmeda are the system out and are closed or ought too. The Galleria has more than shopping, it's big like a plaza or ccity center. WHile it is big I could forsee a bigger complex.

Anyone who thinks they can shop outside in Houston eather just shot themself in the head. IF you want that go to Clalifornia, in the meantime indoor malls are all we want in Houston.

Other than ALL of October, November, March and April, and most of September, December, January, February and May, I am inclined to agree with you.

However, Plastic has a valid point. We need a 3 million square foot indoor mall, with replicas of town squares, longhorns, oil wells, windmills, cowboys and mesquite trees, with a big Alamo in the center. The shops could sell cowboy hats, George Bush bobbleheads, Lone Star flags, and suede jackets with fringe on them. It would blow the Galleria away! Who wants to shop for designer labels, when they could buy a genuine pewter Lone Star paper weight from the world's largest flea market and kitsch outlet mall?

Problem solved!!! see the Astrodome thread :D

It's a big idea and undertaking however the idea of the largest mall situated here in the greater Houston area sounds great to me. We use to visit family in Edmonton growing up and that mall was incredible. For those that have never been it includes all the standard fair including the following:

Multiple food courts

Auto Dealerships

Astroworld type rides

Water Park

etc...

It was a fun time for all. Now that Houston lost Astroworld I would think a destination such as this would be a large draw not only for locals but also for tourists. This just popped in my head but Houston could even throw in a local college into the mix such as an HCC and heck the employee count would be sufficient I would think for an Elementry school as well. I like it!!!

Scharpe St Guy

Problem solved!!! see the Astrodome thread :D

In terms of mall size, the Galleria just doesn't rate. There are probably 30 malls in North America larger than it. I bet it doesn't break the top 100 worldwide.

actually not entirely...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_large...e_United_States

according to wikipedias list of the largest us malls, galleria is #5 in the us in terms of sq footage though that incudes the towers. but it has 375 stores which is only a second place after than MoA's 428.

actually not entirely...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_large...e_United_States

according to wikipedias list of the largest us malls, galleria is #5 in the us in terms of sq footage though that incudes the towers. but it has 375 stores which is only a second place after than MoA's 428.

Good link, but North America includes West Edmonton, which would push the Galleria down to #6. And I don't know if they ever got DestiNY in upstate New York off the ground, if they do that will push the Galleria down further. There is an official organization which tracks this sort of thing, but you have to be a member to get at the information.

Here's a partial list of global megamalls I ran across:

Aricanduva Mall Complex - Sao Paulo, Brazil - 11.8-million square feet

South China Mall - Dongguan, China - 9.6-million square feet - 1,500 stores

Golden Resources Shopping Mall - Beijing, China - 7.3-million square feet - 1,000+ stores

West Edmonton Mall - West Edmonton, Alberta - 5.3-million square feet - 800 stores

Beijing Mall - Beijing, China - 4.7-million square feet - 600 stores

Panda Mall - Chengdu, Sichuan, China

Grandview Mall - Guangzhou, China - 4.5-million square feet

South Coast Plaza - Costa Mesa, California - 2.7-million square feet - 280 stores

Chia Tai Square - Shanghai, Jiangsu, China 2.6-million square feet

Mall of America - Bloomington, Minnesota - 4.2-million square feet - 520 stores

Oriental Plaza - Foshan, Guangdong, China - 8.6-million square feet

Sawgrass Mills - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 2.5-million square feet 300 stores

Del Amo Fashion Center - Los Angeles, California - 2.5-million square feet - 300 stores

The list does not include the new mall under construction in Dubai which promises to be the world's largest.

Lack of entertainment is why malls are dying. one drive by the Marq-e on a weekend nigh t will show you. WHat I mean is people all over want mroe than just shopping. THey want entertainment,attractions,nightlife,resteraunts, and stuff you can't find anywhereelse under one roof.

Excellent point. What makes the mega malls thrive is the fact that there's so much more to do than just shop. With the downturn in the economy, many people don't view shopping as entertainment anymore. But if you can lure people into your building with entertainment, they may just do some shopping.

The malls that are closing are all central malls. Malls in the suburbs are thriving or being planned. The Galleria is thriving and growing when Northwest Mall,Northline,Gulfgate,and ALmeda are the system out and are closed or ought too. The Galleria has more than shopping, it's big like a plaza or ccity center. WHile it is big I could forsee a bigger complex.
Sad to see Houston's malls going this way. It's exactly the opposite in most other cities around the world -- the heart of the city is the hot property and where people do their shopping.
Anyone who thinks they can shop outside in Houston eather just shot themself in the head. IF you want that go to Clalifornia, in the meantime indoor malls are all we want in Houston.

If you can shop outside in the cold of January in the upper Midwest, why can't you shop outside in summer in Houston? You don't have to push through snow in Houston. Somehow outdoor malls manage to thrive year-round in cold climates.

And it's not just cold. There are lots of cities around the world that are hotter than Houston that have thriving outdoor shopping centers. I don't think the problem is the weather. I think it's the same laziness that keeps Houstonians in their cars for trips down the block or across the street.

Guest Plastic

Yes a megamall wouldn't just be for Houstonians but for toursits. That's one of the prime reasons for building it. Lack of a town sqaure or megamall is what's keeping HOuston from being in the national spotlight.

Now that Astroworld is gone The Galleria is Houston's #1 tourist spot. Infact I just took releatives from out of tonw there.

I don't want to shop in the cold of the Midwest either.Houston is not just hot it's humid. It's liek windchilll although it might be 30 degress the wind chill factor makes it feel like 10. Well we have humidity. It may be 90 degrees but it feels like 115 on the heat index. My out of town releatives were talking about it's unbearably hot in Houston.

While an indoor mall is cool for shopping we'd need an outdoor one or sqaure for large events, concerts,and speeches.

Guest Plastic

While they need an entertainment center in Galveston they could get revenue down there.

The Astroworld plot, the large farm in Sugarland,I-10@HWY6 or out 290 past 1960 is where they need to build it.

While they need an entertainment center in Galveston they could get revenue down there.

The Astroworld plot, the large farm in Sugarland,I-10@HWY6 or out 290 past 1960 is where they need to build it.

Make sure it is way past 1960. Dont need anymore mall stuff in such close proximity to me. Willowbrook and surrounding area is more than enough here. The traffic is nuts and Xmas time is off the scale....no more!!!!!

Make sure it is way past 1960. Dont need anymore mall stuff in such close proximity to me. Willowbrook and surrounding area is more than enough here. The traffic is nuts and Xmas time is off the scale....no more!!!!!

Yeah it does get pretty nasty out there during Christmas. I remember a few years back two women literally fighting for a parking space at that mall

Aricanduva Mall Complex - Sao Paulo, Brazil - 11.8-million square feet

South China Mall - Dongguan, China - 9.6-million square feet - 1,500 stores

Golden Resources Shopping Mall - Beijing, China - 7.3-million square feet - 1,000+ stores

West Edmonton Mall - West Edmonton, Alberta - 5.3-million square feet - 800 stores

Beijing Mall - Beijing, China - 4.7-million square feet - 600 stores

Panda Mall - Chengdu, Sichuan, China

Grandview Mall - Guangzhou, China - 4.5-million square feet

South Coast Plaza - Costa Mesa, California - 2.7-million square feet - 280 stores

Chia Tai Square - Shanghai, Jiangsu, China 2.6-million square feet

Mall of America - Bloomington, Minnesota - 4.2-million square feet - 520 stores

Oriental Plaza - Foshan, Guangdong, China - 8.6-million square feet

Sawgrass Mills - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 2.5-million square feet 300 stores

Del Amo Fashion Center - Los Angeles, California - 2.5-million square feet - 300 stores

Source?

I have it listed at 3.7-million.

"Largest mall in Brazil; part of a complex of 3 shopping malls with a total area of 11.8-million sq ft." - So technically speaking, it is one of three malls that equals 11.8.

Source

Guest Plastic

Actually that's why I would put it there. WHile there's a mall at WIllowbrook,Memorial,and Westchase there's none at 290 and 1960. The whole Cyfair-Copperfield area has no mall in it's immediate vicinity. A plot just beyond 1960 or in that field on the inbound side of 290(around Eldrifge and The Budweiser brewery) wpuld solve this problem.

BUt why talk about this when we already have one. The Marq-e Entertainment center is an enterrtainment mall. While small it does get the point. It's overoaded on weekends. Something like that would work cept it'd have to be alot larger and have alot more attractions.

The Marq-e could be improved upon take for instance they need a wider corridor. That big roof is good for the weather but blocks alot of light...needs more internal lighting. ANd the color of the top...Green such an ugly and unatural color. They should build the Metro Park&Ride ont his site or adjacent to it. There's plenty o f parking, it would bring visitors and it would be an excellent transfer spot as you wait for buses. The could do that if they bring The HOTlanes on The Katy DOwntown. The current Transit Center sits on a potential freeway spot. That vacant spot building across from Jillians could be come a small theater liek Verison Wireless and a small exhibition hall. The big open spot by Jillians with the round skyroof would be a viewing tower. You know like the one in Dallas. It'd fit right in there. You'd take a ride to the top and you could see the entire city. There could be a rotating club or resteraunt ontop.

Actually that's why I would put it there. WHile there's a mall at WIllowbrook,Memorial,and Westchase there's none at 290 and 1960. The whole Cyfair-Copperfield area has no mall in it's immediate vicinity. A plot just beyond 1960 or in that field on the inbound side of 290(around Eldrifge and The Budweiser brewery) wpuld solve this problem.

Fine. Make sure it is east of 290 on 1960 ;);)

Xmas time, it took me 40 minutes to get from my street- Champions DR to HWY 249. If you are familiar with the area, you know that that is most horrible!!!!

No more malls or stores here in this area. Its already over done!!!

I'm out here in Cypress and I keep hearing from friends and neighbors that a new mall is planned on 290, accross from Fairfield. That's about 5 or 6 exits farther than the 1960 exit. I don't know how these people know about it, but I was told it will be developed by the same people who developed the Woodlands and their mall. So I wonder if it's associated with Bridgeland, the new master-planned communty that's just opened up out here.

I'm out here in Cypress and I keep hearing from friends and neighbors that a new mall is planned on 290, accross from Fairfield. That's about 5 or 6 exits farther than the 1960 exit. I don't know how these people know about it, but I was told it will be developed by the same people who developed the Woodlands and their mall. So I wonder if it's associated with Bridgeland, the new master-planned communty that's just opened up out here.

Glad to hear it and i am all for it!!!!!!!! Get the minivans and soccer moms in SUVs away from me clogging the traffic arteries at Xmas time :P:P

Looks like the great NW and N by NW will continue its growth explosion ;)

I don't know if someone has already said this but I found this in Wikipedia "The Galleria is now the fifth-largest shopping complex in the United States."

So Plastic, I don't think we need a new Mall of Texas, it seems we already have it !

Simon is building a new mall out here, too. And also on that mall across from Fairfield...Bridgelands is not out that far. The middle is almost equdistant between 290 and IH-10. The Grand Parkway will split the community in half (Katy I.S.D. one side and Cy-Fair I.S.D. on the right side). They are probably building the mall because of the GP. They are already redoing 290 where the Grand Parkway will intercept (on the extreme left side of Fairfield). So the mall rumor might be true.

I don't know if someone has already said this but I found this in Wikipedia "The Galleria is now the fifth-largest shopping complex in the United States."

So Plastic, I don't think we need a new Mall of Texas, it seems we already have it !

And, if you add in the surrounding retail, much of it closer to the Galleria than walking across the Mall of America, you have in excess of 5 million square feet of retail....twice the amount of Mall of America.

Houston doesn't need another big mall. It only needs to market Uptown like Mall of America.

Archived