Mall OF Texas

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

We've been talking about how Houston needs a main center or plaza. We've got the Galleria, the planned pavillions and City Centre but still no true town sqaure.

Being that this is Texas we never do things conventional. I'd rather an indoor complex than an outdoor sqaure or plaza simply because the heat,humidity,and rain in Houston are too horrible and come way to often.

One idea is the mega mall. Canada and Minnesota have done it with the West Edmonton Mall and Mall Of AMerica. Canada has similarities to Texas. SInce there's malls straight up North we need to bring some straight down south.

The Mall Of Texas is what I'm talking about. A huge acreage with all sorts of shops,entertainmen,t nightclubs,amusment park,water park, and various attractions. OF course this being Texas we've got to make it larger. It could be a 24 hour wonderland with 24 hour shopping and movie theaters.Someplace like The Astroworld Plot or that open field in SUgarland would be perfect fot it.

What do ya think , I think Houston would be perfect for it.Just build some direct ramps from the freeway and it would be goin on.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me guess. Another pipe dream? Why the hell should they build a mall bigger then the Galleria? That just plan stupid and a waste of money. The Galleria is the Mall of Texas.

Besides, in Minnesota all they have is Mall of America. I've heard everybody in that city works for that mall.

Guest Plastic
The Mall of America will not allow anyone under 18 to be at the mall, without someone older than 18, after 4 pm. So, that Mall sucks.

WHat, what kind of mall woul do that? Malls wouldn't be sprat without minors.

i thought NORTHPARK mall in Dallas is the biggest mall in Texas now? Even bigger than Houston- Galleria?

Northpark Mall? They've got a Galleria too now Northpark?

Who gives a Eff-You-See-Kay about the Galleria in Dallas? >:) The Galleria in Houston is and always will be the original Galleria no matter what other city copies its name for its "mall." :rolleyes:

Uh oh, Plastic has got you there TJones :D

Sorry, 1992 just seems like 20 years ago to me. They just broke ground on MOA 20 years ago.

I'm sure Plastic thinks it opend last year, possibly last month. :wacko::lol:

i thought NORTHPARK mall in Dallas is the biggest mall in Texas now? Even bigger than Houston- Galleria?

There was some old data floating around from the Houston Galleria that showed it a bit smaller than it really was, so the Houston Galleria is ~1% or so bigger than NorthPark. They're building a 2 million square foot "mall" of some sort across the street from NorthPark near the train station, I guess they're not interested in taking the title from anyone since it is a bit short of either mall.

Jason

Guest Plastic

I looked on their website and they said there is some sort of expansion, that might be it.

ANd yes other cities have Galleria's From what I knw Austin is supposed to have it's own. DOwn know what the big regional mall is in San Antonio.

Regardless of what megamalls are in other cities, I think that is one baaaaad idea. First of all, we already have a gigantic mall (4th or 5th largest in the US), and secondly, what is this, 1985? Who wants malls anymore? They just tore down Town and Country, which was a huge mall in itself. I doubt that Houston needs, much less wants, another mall. We'd be the laughing stock of the country if we built it. What we need is more improvements to downtown, which could be a REAL community center for Houston.

Malls may be out of style today. But in 10 years, once the outdoor shopping trend is over and everyone has suffered a heat stroke in the summer and has wet hair in the winter, the mall will make a big come back.

And Houston would be one step ahead of the game if there was a ultra modern mega mall in an ideal location ready to welcome back the serious shoppers that have become tired of dealing with Houston weather.

Last time I checked, the only out door shooping appropriate weather is a select few days of the year.

Other than ALL of October, November, March and April, and most of September, December, January, February and May, I am inclined to agree with you.

However, Plastic has a valid point. We need a 3 million square foot indoor mall, with replicas of town squares, longhorns, oil wells, windmills, cowboys and mesquite trees, with a big Alamo in the center. The shops could sell cowboy hats, George Bush bobbleheads, Lone Star flags, and suede jackets with fringe on them. It would blow the Galleria away! Who wants to shop for designer labels, when they could buy a genuine pewter Lone Star paper weight from the world's largest flea market and kitsch outlet mall?

Other than ALL of October, November, March and April, and most of September, December, January, February and May, I am inclined to agree with you.

Yeah! That is why Houston has an international reputation for being a wonderful place for outdoor shopping.

However, Plastic has a valid point. We need a 3 million square foot indoor mall, with replicas of town squares, longhorns, oil wells, windmills, cowboys and mesquite trees, with a big Alamo in the center. The shops could sell cowboy hats, George Bush bobbleheads, Lone Star flags, and suede jackets with fringe on them. It would blow the Galleria away! Who wants to shop for designer labels, when they could buy a genuine pewter Lone Star paper weight from the world's largest flea market and kitsch outlet mall?

September & October was hot as hell last time I remembered it. :P

Let me guess. Another pipe dream? Why the hell should they build a mall bigger then the Galleria? That just plan stupid and a waste of money. The Galleria is the Mall of Texas.

Besides, in Minnesota all they have is Mall of America. I've heard everybody in that city works for that mall.

There are many large malls in Minnesota, and in the area surrounding the Mall of America. Many of them as large as or larger than just about any Houston Mall.

In terms of mall size, the Galleria just doesn't rate. There are probably 30 malls in North America larger than it. I bet it doesn't break the top 100 worldwide.

So, I suggest you try to open you eyes and think objectively about Plastic's proposal. The Mall of America brings in millions of tourists every year to a city they would otherwise overlook. Sound familiar, Houston?

The Mall of America will not allow anyone under 18 to be at the mall, without someone older than 18, after 4 pm. So, that Mall sucks.

The mall doesn't suck. What sucks is the 16-year-old thugs who decided to shoot the place up, scaring away the tourists. Malls are not baby sitters for bored teens, they are businesses. The new rules have fairly successfully addressed that problem.

Hasn't been 20 years.

He's right. Only 16 years. The thing's just a passing fad. It'll never work. :wacko:

The job market and the economy in The Cities is actually very good. A very diverse market that compares very favorably to metros in a similar size class (~3 million) like San Diego or St. Louis. So no, not everyone works for the Mall of America.

Jason

Archived