Houstonian or Texan First?

J.A.S.O.N.

Two questions..

I got the idea for this topic because of the responses in the "Astrodome" thread. Do you consider yourself a Houstonian before Texan, or is it just one in the same to you?

I live in the Metroplex now, but I grew up on the island. I have to say that I have NEVER been exposed to more "Texas" (everything) than I have now. The commercials, the accents, the hair, you name it. The attitude of being a Texan seems more prevalent in North Texas to me also. While I've always been a Texan, it was an after thought until I moved here. Do you guys feel that Houston a city that just so happens to be in Texas, or does the city embrace its "Texas culture"?

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

Two questions..

I got the idea for this topic because of the responses in the "Astrodome" thread. Do you consider yourself a Houstonian before Texan, or is it just one in the same to you?

I live in the Metroplex now, but I grew up on the island. I have to say that I have NEVER been exposed to more "Texas" (everything) than I have now. The commercials, the accents, the hair, you name it. The attitude of being a Texan seems more prevalent in North Texas to me also. While I've always been a Texan, it was an after thought until I moved here. Do you guys feel that Houston a city that just so happens to be in Texas, or does the city embrace its "Texas" culture?

As an eigth generation Texan, with 169 years of roots in Iola, Navasota, Palestine, Houston, Bacliff, Austin, Corpus Christi, and rural Hays County (but not S. Texas because I never really lived there), I consider myself Texan. However, I am partial to those parts of texas that exclude most everything north of Waco, west of Corsicana, east of Fort Worth, and south of the Nueces River.

Heh! Well, when I lived in Houston I considered myself Houstonian before Texan. Now that I live out of state, I keep referring to myself as a Texan rather than a Houstonian. Not sure why because I haven't given it much thought!

I've never given it any thought either, but now that you bring it up I suppose I consider myself Houstonian before Texan. This is the only city in Texas that I've lived in, so it really seems to be the primary reference point. That said, it is more geographic than cultural. I'm not sure what "Texas culture" or "Houston culture" really even mean, beyond cowboys in car commercials, and stars on hotel furniture, and junk like that. American culture is very homogenous; with a few exceptions it seems pretty much the same anywhere you go. That's why a city as a geographic identifier seems more natural than a state.

I've never given it any thought either, but now that you bring it up I suppose I consider myself Houstonian before Texan. This is the only city in Texas that I've lived in, so it really seems to be the primary reference point. That said, it is more geographic than cultural. I'm not sure what "Texas culture" or "Houston culture" really even mean, beyond cowboys in car commercials, and stars on hotel furniture, and junk like that. American culture is very homogenous; with a few exceptions it seems pretty much the same anywhere you go. That's why a city as a geographic identifier seems more natural than a state.

I have to disagree. There are subtle nuances within cultures that can be picked up on with experience.

For instance, within the "poor white households" category, if you drive northeast of Houston, you will come across different mindsets than if you drive southeast or west.

And within the entire state, there are subcultures that can often be defined by county. For instance, I perceive Austin County to have a different subculture than Washington County, which has a different subculture than Grimes County. The big stuff is basically the same, and I think that most folks can see in themselves a tiny little bit of Hank Hill...but there are big differences.

Zoom out a whole lot more, and you simply can't compare folks that live in Abilene to those that live in Beaumont to those that live in Rio Grande City. Those are some BIG differences.

I would have to say Texan first, because like Niche, I have similar GROUNDED roots here, from Texarkana to Joshua to Baytown to El Campo. My mother's side has generations upon generations because of our Indian heritage. Father's side are some of the first White settler's who helped build the town of Joshua,Tx. I will find the link for my family tree website for everyone. It actually has branches on it.

Found it: My Grandfather is Malcolm Amos Jones, my father's side of the family has been here since the 1860's. Some of you will be bored, but there are some pretty AMAZING facts listed the further you go back in my family history. I really had no clue. If you just trace back my grandfather's fathers and read a little it ain't such a bad read.

http://www.dfc.cc/cgi-bin/igmget.cgi/n=jones?I336

Edited by TJones

When around other Americans I always say Houstonian. When I'm asked by anyone else especially here I now say I'm from TX. I use to say I was from Houston but I would always get a blank look :blink: (I think it's the American accent) now I just say TX and most people get that. Some times though I need to defualt to my third answer and say American. Then I just get one of these :D

One time I was on this train in England. We were chatting with a nice old couple opposite. They asked where we were from, and I said "Texas". The lady made a "gun" with her hand, pointed and went, "Oh. Bang Bang!" :lol:

My boss just returned from the Tuscany region of Italy, and when he told a local he was from Texas, the local replied, "Bush!" :lol:

My boss just returned from the Tuscany region of Italy, and when he told a local he was from Texas, the local replied, "Bush!" :lol:

Just curious, but was it said in such a manner as to communicate "Oh, I know where that is...Bush is from there" or "____ you."

I've never lived anywhere but Texas, but I have lived in other places than Houston. So I guess I'd say Texan before Houstonian? Dunno. Never really thought about it.

"Old Houstonians have never tended to speak of themselves as Texans. They are Houstonians. This stems from an instinctive awareness that Houston has its own character."

--Marguerite Johnston, Houston: The Unknown City, 1836-1946

Maybe it stems from an instinctive awareness that most of the rest of Texas hates us? :P

I swear that same quote could be used for Galveston. You'd think this island was 50 miles from the mainland the way some of the older Galvestonians talk.

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

I swear that same quote could be used for Galveston. You'd think this island was 50 miles from the mainland the way some of the older Galvestonians talk.

HAHA. Its ok, we still love Galveston ;) Very fond memories coming home for spring break and Christmas break in high school and driving down to Galveston for all-out drunken bruhahas :):):):) Galveston coast was and still is a much welcomed site to me ;) The New England area has nothing comparable ;)

I LOVE TEXAS!!! ;)

you forgot the longhorns hanging over doors and crystal decanters full of bourbon.

"Old Houstonians have never tended to speak of themselves as Texans. They are Houstonians. This stems from an instinctive awareness that Houston has its own character."

--Marguerite Johnston, Houston: The Unknown City, 1836-1946

The above quote sums up my feelings during the years I've been here.

In my travels through Texas, Houston always seemed different than the rest of the state, especially in North Texas where they really seem to embrace the cowboy culture.

I really don''t mean this to be cheesy, but Houston seems to not care that much about Texas culture, it's like a culture in and of itself.

For me deffinately a Houstonian.

Being a native North Carolinian (who HATES NASCAR!), I don't really get into the Texas kitsch, or history or whatever else one might call it. I tend to agree with MidtownCoog, in that only the Pecos region seems to fit the Texas mythology. Having called Houston home for 30 years, I have always felt that Houston and Galveston were more oriented toward the Gulf, whereas Texana was more oriented toward dusty ranches and cattle. I feel more in common with other Gulf Coast cities than with other Texas cities. In that sense, I am a Houstonian first, and to some extent, only.

Texas is often not kind to Houston. For decades, the legislature has shorted Houston. Rural legislators band together to take care of themselves, and the money left for cities often goes disproportionately to other cities. It is my belief that Houston gets less benefit by being part of Texas than Texas gets by having Houston.

I agree with Subdude, that Texana and the Texas 'mystique' provides an easy marketing point for car dealers, even though virtually none of the intended market pulls up to the ranch house in his Ford pickup and pulls a saddle out of the bed. Maybe that is why I drive a Toyota.

Texan

Houstonian

I love telling people I'm a Texan, it always trips them up later when I tell them I am not a Bush supporter. People outside the state didn't know people like me existed. They look at you not unlike a heterosexual man telling people he is a ballet dancer.