Memories Of Bellaire

Alpha

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grew up in Bellaire. Gordon Elementary to Bellaire High School. Lived here my whole life save for a couple of years in Austin. I didn't appreciate most of the nice things about Bellaire when I was younger, but of course that came with age. Most of the time, we'd like to stay, but I don't know how much longer we actually will. We'll eventually get run out (at least it feels that way sometimes), or we'll just leave because we're sick of being bugged about whether or not our house is for sale. We get letters in the mail, notes on the door, they knock on the door, they cruise the streets & catch you as you get home, etc. It does start to grate after a while.

Grew up in Bellaire. Gordon Elementary to Bellaire High School. Lived here my whole life save for a couple of years in Austin. I didn't appreciate most of the nice things about Bellaire when I was younger, but of course that came with age. Most of the time, we'd like to stay, but I don't know how much longer we actually will. We'll eventually get run out (at least it feels that way sometimes), or we'll just leave because we're sick of being bugged about whether or not our house is for sale. We get letters in the mail, notes on the door, they knock on the door, they cruise the streets & catch you as you get home, etc. It does start to grate after a while.

when i lived there, our block was at zero new builds out of thirty homes. now, it is at about 17...it's just a matter of time before they're all gone.

the appraisals on the mid-century homes are so off that it is getting more difficult for some to get money to renovate, pay the taxes, etc. (looking at some examples of houses - $10,000 house on a $300,000 parcel of land? right).

A guy I used to work with told me that Bellaire was just like The Woodlands: full of rich snobs. Was he right or wrong?

i wouldn't label the whole area that way, but it exists like anywhere else.

since this is an architecture forum, i'll go ahead and throw this out there:

many are most definitely NOT "snobs" when it comes to architecture - quite the opposite. i know of some folks that bought a spec house from Damon Homes right as construction began - 8,775 sq. ft. lot, has to be more than a 4,000 sq. ft. house. $850,000. spec house. eek.

can't find a web site for Damon homes, but imagine any other bland stucco box and you get the picture.

Waaayy back in the 50s, when I lived there, most of my friends' fathers (including mine) were white collar. They had jobs in offices or owned their own businesses.

I agree. I lived in Bellaire from 1948-83, then again from 1992-2000. Post-WWII Bellaire was never a blue-collar town in the way we think of Pasadena, and not a former farming village like Katy or Pearland. It was more like Spring Branch, a town that became a suburb out on the edge of Houston, which Houston then engulfed.

The death warrant for the cottages came in 1977 when the COB govt updated property appraisals for the 1st time since the early 50s. That decision coincided with the rampant inflation of the late 70s/early 80s and led to spectacular property value and tax increases.

I lived in a 3300sf house on 1/2 acre and the property appraisal went from $9K to $75K. By 1982 it was $145K. Total taxes went from ~$165/yr to ~$2500/yr. That % of tax $$ change made life impossible for many fixed income residents, most of whom were the retired white collar 50s/60s workers like my parents. Why not take the ridiculous profit and live the rest of your life with more $$ than you ever thought you would have?

The big lots where I lived were the 1st to be sold for teardowns. In 83 we were the 2nd family on our street to sell, the new owners put up a Mcmansion. Now there are only 2 original houses left on that block.

The process has continued unabated for 25 yrs.

I agree. I lived in Bellaire from 1948-83, then again from 1992-2000. Post-WWII Bellaire was never a blue-collar town in the way we think of Pasadena, and not a former farming village like Katy or Pearland. It was more like Spring Branch, a town that became a suburb out on the edge of Houston, which Houston then engulfed.

The death warrant for the cottages came in 1977 when the COB govt updated property appraisals for the 1st time since the early 50s. That decision coincided with the rampant inflation of the late 70s/early 80s and led to spectacular property value and tax increases.

I lived in a 3300sf house on 1/2 acre and the property appraisal went from $9K to $75K. By 1982 it was $145K. Total taxes went from ~$165/yr to ~$2500/yr. That % of tax $$ change made life impossible for many fixed income residents, most of whom were the retired white collar 50s/60s workers like my parents. Why not take the ridiculous profit and live the rest of your life with more $$ than you ever thought you would have?

The big lots where I lived were the 1st to be sold for teardowns. In 83 we were the 2nd family on our street to sell, the new owners put up a Mcmansion. Now there are only 2 original houses left on that block.

The process has continued unabated for 25 yrs.

Here is a typical "then and now" photo taken from 4341 Oleander. The vintage shot was from 1953.

post-3673-1182570683.jpg

• 4 months later...

I grew up on Holt Street in Bellaire, and in 1957, my dad took these pictures from the front yard of our house. He was a professional photographer and would often test out new cameras by taking pictures of ordinary things. That's why he had taken the pictures from the roof of the Village Theater that I posted a few weeks ago.

I found these as contact prints on a sheet of 8 by 10 paper. I scanned and enlarged them.

If any of you grew up in Bellaire, these houses will look very familiar. Most had two or three bedrooms and only one bathroom. Many of them also had a screened porch in the back. We had ours made into a den in the late 50s.

My sister and I went on a nostalgia trip last Sunday and drove around town looking at all the places we have lived. All of these houses are gone now, as is the one where we lived. It kind of makes me sad to look at these pictures, because I think of the fun times I had playing with the children who lived in the houses.

Street1.jpg

Street2.jpg

Street3.jpg

Street4.jpg

Street5.jpg

Street6.jpg

Thanks for posting these...I spent alot of my childhood on Holt St.

Is this (present-day) inner or outer loop?

This is the 4600 block, just inside the loop, but closer to Avenue B than to Post Oak.

In 1956, four houses at the end of each block (next to Post Oak) were removed in preparation for construction of the loop. It was about 10 more years before it was finished.

Note how dinky all the trees are.. Not that way now..

Westbury is much the same way. In 1960 Westbury

was fairly bald.. Not the case now..

Like that Studebaker parked out front..

I think that was a "Hawk"..

MK

I just asked my dad about the Studebaker. He said that it wasn't a Hawk, but he doesn't remember what it was called.

This is the 4600 block, just inside the loop, but closer to Avenue B than to Post Oak.

In 1956, four houses at the end of each block (next to Post Oak) were removed in preparation for construction of the loop. It was about 10 more years before it was finished.

Wow - same block! My parents are still holding on to an original, and one neighbor is an original owner. Everything else is just about gone.

4622 was just demolished last week.

I just asked my dad about the Studebaker. He said that it wasn't a Hawk, but he doesn't remember what it was called.

It was a Hawk, but they had various models of Hawks.. IE: Champion, Commander, President.

They also had different Hawk names. IE: Flight Hawk, Power Hawk, Sky Hawk..

http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/diffhawk.htm

Not sure, but judging on the side body contour, I'd say it was a 56 or earlier.

I don't think it was a 57, as they seemed to have did away with the side

contour on the door. As far as I can tell, the 57's and later were smooth

on the doors.

Actually, from reading that, 1956 may well have been the first year for Hawks.

So if that is the case, the one in your picture is a 1956 model.

Edit..With further review of the models, I can tell it had to be one of two..

Either the Flight Hawk, "Champion", or the Power Hawk "Commander".

These two models had the window pillar. The other two models has a

pillarless side window.

So ask him if either Champion, or Commander rings a bell. It was one

of those two I'm fairly sure.

BTW, the difference between the two was the engine. The Champion had a

six.. The Commander had a V8.

MK

Wow - same block! My parents are still holding on to an original, and one neighbor is an original owner. Everything else is just about gone.

4622 was just demolished last week.

When we drove down Holt last week, I noticed that 4601, 4603, and 4609 are originals. I didn't pay close attention after that, so I don't remember any of the other addresses.

Yeah...4601 (with an addition), 4603, 4609, 4612, 4613, 4616, 4618, 4620, 4624, 4625, 4627, 4628, and 4629 are original (about 40% - a lot higher than i thought).

The concentration is at the end of the block by the freeway (not as desirable to build a new million dollar house), but the values of those homes are a lot lower, so while the owners may hold on to them longer there will be a time when they will all go relatively cheap compared to the others.

Funny enough, I believe the first teardown on the block was at 4600 Holt in 1995-1996. The family that lived in the house bulldozed it and had another house built.

I found a 1951 Sanborn map of the area - only shows the even side of Holt St., though:

http://www.arch-ive.org/maps/sanborn_1513_1951.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking for a while but finally decide to post for the Bellaire forum. So here goes history and minutia..

Grew up in Bellaire ( moved there in1952-71, 74-75) on Pin Oak just south of Marian HS went to Holy Ghost and Jesuit when it was a staggering $400 a year...got out in 1967.Remember many happy a joyful days with neighbors from both HG and Gordon, Cunningham, Long, and Bellaire. The days before the West Loop ran through and riding bikes all over the place, building motorbikes with lawn mower engines, hide n' seek in the fron yard in summer time...too simple and enjoyable a time...3-1-1, one car, moms not working...oh well the old home is gone and a monstrosity is up in its place I hate to see the area change more each time I drive through but some old timers are still hanging on...there land more valuable than their homes....I guess they call it progress

Here are a list of places that might stir up some memories, I know it did mine---Charlie's Auto Supply, TGY, A&P, Wagner Hardware, kelley's Hardware, Frenchy's barber shop that's still there just scross the stree from the original, Hannah Niday Floral, Bang's drive Inn, Sullivan's Drive Inn, Anderson Pharmacy, Dick Gage Sporting Goods, DPS Drivers Licence Office, Jay's Pharmacy, Butler/Grimes Variety, Meyer brothers, Jackson's Drugs, Duggan's, Maddings, Guy Gibbs Liquor, Camardo Shoe shop, Bellaire Men and Boys Shop, Chapman's Young World Clothing, Midget Market, Don's Records, Betty's laundamat, Mancuso's Gulf Station, Hubert Lumber Co., Whaley's Pest Control, James Engineering, Westmoreland dairy, W.T Grant, Early Meyerland, early Triangle, Food Giant, Weingartens, Sacco's, Wee Wild West, Pink cameo beauty Shop, Bellaire Lanes, Post Oak Drive Inn, Bellaire Theatre ( was 25 cents but the owner raised it to 35 cents and almost had a riot..it was not a member of the Interstae theatre chain like the Village and other theatres), Pin Oak Stables, Pin Oak baseball for those that didn't make the official bellaire LL teams, Vic Driscoll and theThe Bellaire Gym where I broke my arm off of the rings, the Parrallel parking posts for the driving test and practice in the

Bellaire Pool and Gym parking lot, Belden's, Fed Mart, Henke and Pilot, Youngbloods chicken, the Old post office by Kelley's and Guy Gibbs, Feld Park Baseball( pee wee to Sr. Teenage), Feld's tennis courts and club house mor I'm sure but my brain needs a rest for a while. Thanks for the chance to list and vent.

I had forgotten about the Driver's license place. That's where I got my first license. Don't forget Shakey's Pizza, Kip's Big Boy, and what was the name of the restaurant in the center where the driver’s license place was? I should know it. They had a private room upstairs that hosted illegal gambling that everyone knew about but no one talked about it. I never gambled there but know some that frequently did. It was primarily a steak restaurant and they had these really huge plates. After they closed in the 80's they gave a bunch of those plates to the Bellaire Fire Dept. and they are still used today. I'm sure TxFireguy remembers. Help me out.

I had forgotten about the Driver's license place. That's where I got my first license.

I got my license there too. The day I went (in the summer of 66) the line of cars stretched around three blocks. After you went in and signed up, you had to get in your car and go to the end of the line. The wait was about three hours. My dad had taken me there, but after about an hour, he decided to take a taxi home (he also had my little brother with him - who needed a diaper change.) It's a good thing I passed, because if I hadn't, I would have had to drive home illegally. :rolleyes:

The Bellaire theatre was in the strip center on Bellaire near Stella Link. The center was an "L" shape with a grocery on the east side and a coney island on the south. The theatre was at the junction of the letter "L". I have not been by in a while but the marquee and tower of the theatre should still be there. The Saturday "Fun Clubs were great and we wouldgo to the theatre because it was air-conditioned and our house wasn't. The center was next to a telephone switch center MOhawk, remember MO and MA numbers?

I remember going to that place when it was called Discovery Zone in the early-mid 90's.

Before it was Discovery Zone, but after it closed in its original incarnation as the Bellaire, it enjoyed a brief renaissance in the late 80s as the Bel-Air when it was renovated and converted to a multiplex from the original single-screen format and began screening first-run films again. During that time, it also had a nice little bar in the lobby area called the Mars Bar. The Bel-Air always seemed to do good business, so I'm not sure why it eventually closed down. I used to go there fairly regularly, as I had a girlfriend that lived not too far away at the time.

The old Bellaire was starting to look pretty grungy before it closed - I remember going to see CALIGULA there in its waning days, and the screen was stained and torn in several places.

Before it was Discovery Zone, but after it closed in its original incarnation as the Bellaire, it enjoyed a brief renaissance in the late 80s as the Bel-Air when it was renovated and converted to a multiplex from the original single-screen format and began screening first-run films again. During that time, it also had a nice little bar in the lobby area called the Mars Bar. The Bel-Air always seemed to do good business, so I'm not sure why it eventually closed down. I used to go there fairly regularly, as I had a girlfriend that lived not too far away at the time.

The old Bellaire was starting to look pretty grungy before it closed - I remember going to see CALIGULA there in its waning days, and the screen was stained and torn in several places.

Those Saturday kid matinees definitely took their toll on the old theater. I remember them being complete chaos. I went there a couple of times after the renovation. It was okay but I hated it when they took a big screen theater and made it into several small screens. They did the same to the old Meyerland theater. Always felt movies needed to be seen on a "big screen".

I went to the Bellaire theater a lot, right up until it closed. In the early 90s (I think, maybe late 80s?), I saw something horribly uncomfortable happen there.

Rice Architecture was doing some kind of film series about architecture in film. They had an odd mix of movies, including "Q: The Winged Serpent" and Robert Altman's "Fool for Love". They flew Altman in to speak at the screening, and he brought a brand new, pristine print. I was very excited because I'm a huge Altman fan, but the attendance was very low. I ended up sitting right behind him while they showed the film.

About 5 or 6 minutes into the film, the projector hangs and the film melted. Altman visibly shrank in his chair.

As a kid, my first savings account was established at the First State Bank of Bellaire right on Bellaire Blvd. What was confusing was the name. What was the capitol of the State of Bellaire?

Is Fin & Feather still there? I knew a kid (no, it wasn't me!) who took a warm can of vegetable soup to the balcony of the theater and then when it got dark, made some regurgitation noises, and then dumped the can over the rail. Yes, he got caught.

• 1 month later...

Lived in the Bellaire area, Locust at Post Oak (before freeway) from 1949 until 1955. My family built off corner of Hillcroft and Bissonnet (AKA Richmond) and lived there until 1970 so I am very familiar with the history and past of that area. I would be happy to help with any information for those interested in that part of the city back when...Eric

Archived