IMT Uptown Post Oak: Multifamily At 1111 Post Oak Blvd.

Yes, that might be the case with a NEW suburb today. The problem is ALL new suburbs age. Most do not age well. Something newer will always open up just further down the road that will remind people of why you moved where you did in the first place. Soon, your space will be surrounded by wider roads, strip malls, more traffic, and other issues. Then, when you want to flee even further away, you'll come to realize that you can't sell your place for what you want because developers are able to offer NEW (amazing that people still mistake NEW for quality) homes on the cheap.

It's why "inner ring" suburbs all over the nation are faltering.

I wouldn't say "ALL" but many are...and I think a lot of it has to do with tracts and tracts of low-quality ranch houses that were built and surrounded by apartments (that have since become run-down). Great examples of this are places like Mesquite, Garland, and Irving near Dallas and to some extent areas of W/NW Houston. Those are the subdivisions built in the 70's and 1980's that are your typical Fox and Jacobs ranch house with two Arizona Ash trees in the front yard and the low-pitched 20-year brown shingle roof. Regardless of location - who wants to buy a piece of that?

Contrast that to most of North Dallas (which at one time was the suburbs) where the homes are nicer, custom homes on larger lots. Those areas have not suffered the same fate and urban blight.

As for where we live, they just finished widening part 1 of Rayford and Riley Fuzzel all the way to the Hardy. Part 2 of Rayford should start soon and they are indeed building a new strip center (anchord by a Kroger Signature) just outside the neighborhood. Call me crazy but we're very much looking forward to the new shopping center as it will be much more convenient than the HEB on I-45. I'm sure there will be more traffic too (hence the widening of Rayford) but nothing like the overdeveloped condo-land where I work on Post Oak.

Yes, that might be the case with a NEW suburb today. The problem is ALL new suburbs age. Most do not age well. Something newer will always open up just further down the road that will remind people of why you moved where you did in the first place. Soon, your space will be surrounded by wider roads, strip malls, more traffic, and other issues. Then, when you want to flee even further away, you'll come to realize that you can't sell your place for what you want because developers are able to offer NEW (amazing that people still mistake NEW for quality) homes on the cheap.

It's why "inner ring" suburbs all over the nation are faltering.

Unlike inner cities, which we all know have never faltered. ;-)

Grids move traffic better. Just ask ems and the police and fire departments which they like better.

Oh, I have little doubt that police, EMS, and fire department folks prefer grids. And perhaps insurance companies should take the effect of these agencies' response times into effect when calculating customers' monthly premiums...but the consumer should choose. And they do.

If consumers in low-density areas were willing to pay for the extra costs associated with the kinds of grids that are in Midtown, then developers would create a subdivision for them. But somehow, I'll bet you that when there average 3 housing units per acre of developed land, traffic flow isn't all that much of a problem worth curing in the first place. But efficient traffic flow is why most of the greater Houston area already has a grid system built out of our major thoroughfares.

Edited by TheNiche

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
How far along is this project?

The garage structure is complete. On the front 1/3 or so they have what looks like the full 3-4 floors of residences framed. On the middle 1/3 there is a floor or so framed while the back 1/3 is just garage. I will try to remember to toss my camera in my bag and snap a few shots this week as I have a pretty good view from my office. There is a constant flow of wood framing material arriving and going up every day.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to IMT Uptown Post Oak: Multifamily At 1111 Post Oak Blvd.
  • 1 year later...