Move over "Laguna Beach"! Here Comes "Houston High"!

citykid09

What is the show going to be about? I saw Room Raiders Texas and wanted to cry. This is probably not going to be good publicity for Texas or Houston. MTV has a tendency to be (Texas) ignorant and their TV shows are horrible. Anyone who has seen any of those shows probably knows what I mean.

Guest danax
Her name is Cheyene, and the Houston High show is going to be about wanna-be rappers. Everyone hold your breath.

I don't keep up with the latest pop culture but someone please tell me we are not becoming known as the rap capital of the world.

I don't keep up with the latest pop culture but someone please tell me we are not becoming known as the rap capital of the world.

Months ago I saw something on either VH1 or MTV here about Houston being the next hip hop /rap ceneter. So the word is out and spreading. No need to worry, I'm sure as Houston name spreads people will see Houston for everything it offers and not just one demographic

Why not? The primary consumers of rap music are middle-class white kids from the suburbs. As far as just about any mainstream advertiser or publicist is concerned, that's a pretty darn good demographic to be able to reach. Their parents give them money and they spend it on relatively high-margin products.

All we need to do is start up a rap festival...or perhaps it'd just be easier to change the name of the HLS&R to something more appropriate to its typical performance lineup.

I've got it: Houston Livestock Show, Rodeo and Gangstafest.

I envision a dark stage. From behind, so as to sillohette the performers, lights fade to red. Fifty Cent leaps from the back of a semi-drugged bull (rhetoric being that he's so badass that his mere presence tames the beast), which proceeds to trudge offstage as the performance kicks into high gear...

this is just freakin' great. "chopped and screwed" in houston. the rap capital. every shot is going to be a back alley or a slum with the gleeming downtown in the background. every wannabe rapper is going to be coming to town through the bus station on main looking for a "dream". how freakin' LA. i hope the show is a failure. rap used to be cool (run dmc, beastie boys), now it's just posers with bling. i loathe MTV. MTV you suck. i used to "want my MTV", now i shun that crappy station. >:)

this is just freakin' great. "chopped and screwed" in houston. the rap capital. every shot is going to be a back alley or a slum with the gleeming downtown in the background. every wannabe rapper is going to be coming to town through the bus station on main looking for a "dream". how freakin' LA. i hope the show is a failure. rap used to be cool (run dmc, beastie boys), now it's just posers with bling. i loathe MTV. MTV you suck. i used to "want my MTV", now i shun that crappy station. >:)

...you forgot fat ass wanna-be's with their thongs up their cellulite butt cracks as all the guys call them delicate flower and ho.

Yeah, I agree-MTV started sucking long ago-when rap stopped being rap and turned into the Grill Show. :wacko:

B)

• 1 month later...

The MTV idea is not the same as my idea - I would encompass all of Houston, and all of the people on the show would be fictional. Sure, it would center around a group of teenagers who attend the same high school - But it would delve into the various subcultures and groups in the city from Clear Lake to Kingwood to Alief. And, of course, there would be Texas-style violence that plagues several of the characters.

Is it just going to be rap stars? What about just regular talent in any music?

All these stupid teen talent/pop star shows are pretty much the daily line up on MTV. Now to be hypocritical, I hope all those shows burn in hell. But I'm glad there is one in Houston ;). Let it burn the brightest.

• 3 weeks later...

I accidentally watched a Real World Reunion Show on MTV, and kept watching it just to see what they're feeding to the masses. Basically it was in a talk show format, everyone sitting in front of an audience in a row of chairs facing the audience, and what started out friendly turned into mindless arguing and name calling. There was nothing of substance even spoken for about 20 minutes or so. They cursed at each other in a very sincere and mean-spirited way. They all looked very insecure and soulless. I really don't see how that network went from showing cool alternative rock/grunge videos to something like this. At least Jerry Springer is satirical, the people on this show were frighteningly sincere in their horrible attitudes about life and other people.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived